View Poll Results: How many metal detectors do you currently own?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zero- Borrow a friends or still looking to break into the hobby.

0 0%
  • One- And my eyes will never stray...

12 16.44%
  • Two- Everyone needs a backup right???

23 31.51%
  • Three- Papa bear, Mama bear, and Baby bear

14 19.18%
  • Four or more- See 'Hoarder' in the dictionary

24 32.88%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many metal detectors do you own?

Elite Member

Re: How many metal detectors do you own?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinL link=topic=6462.msg76288#msg76288 date=1311715630
    Why own more than maybe 2 detectors? You normally get real good at using one primary detector after getting ised to the hobby...usually after the first cheapy detector you try, then buying the MAIN detector. Beyond that, aren't we just diluting our keen knowledge of how to read the main detector we got used to back then?

Sure, I can easily see owning many of these if the hobby has paid for itself already. That isn't the case with a lot of hunters though. I guess I don't see the purpose in owning various detectors, while one that one main unit will always get you to the treasure . Maybe it's like ladies buying shoes to some people.

I have 2 machines. First one got me hooked, the V3i INVESTED my money and I don't need another one. I just don't get it.

martin

It's like any other hobby, they keep coming out with newer, better models, and also we upgrade ($300 to $600 to $1000 to $2000) and you just don't want to get rid of your sweetheart that's been so good to you, and that's your primary back up for if your new sweetheart has to go to the shop (right Al?) then your previous back up isn't worth anything, so you just hang onto it...like all of that other stuff in your attic and garage. Also several of us do different types of detecting and some units are better for different types, such as water detecting.

I have plans to hang my retired detectors on my conference room wall, and put my finds in a display case there....then when clients come in,m they see my stuff, start a conversation, which opens the door to me getting to detect their land!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by RobW link=topic=6462.msg76419#msg76419 date=1311771819

It's like any other hobby, they keep coming out with newer, better models, and also we upgrade ($300 to $600 to $1000 to $2000) and you just don't want to get rid of your sweetheart that's been so good to you, and that's your primary back up for if your new sweetheart has to go to the shop (right Al?) then your previous back up isn't worth anything, so you just hang onto it...like all of that other stuff in your attic and garage. Also several of us do different types of detecting and some units are better for different types, such as water detecting.

I have plans to hang my retired detectors on my conference room wall, and put my finds in a display case there....then when clients come in,m they see my stuff, start a conversation, which opens the door to me getting to detect their land!
    Good points. I am as bad with my pool cues collected over the last 25 years for some of the same reasons, even though detectors are far more sophisticated compared to a wooden cue of different design. I can easily understand your points though. martin

martin

Some machines are just better for certain situations, like iron infested sites. But they may not be the best choice for a tot lot, or the beach. If I could afford a lot of them, I would have at least 3 or 4 lol It took me forever to finally get rid of that old White's Eagle I bought many years ago. I remember when it first come out.... a computer on a metal detector You get kinda attached to them and it takes a lot to let them go sometimes
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

In March I had bought 2 new ones which made my count at 4. When I got some use in on the 2 new ones, I sold the 2 older ones.
    I am waiting to see what new ones come out this year...might get 1 more.
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

I had to get another MXT as a backup, so I wouldn't be without a working MXT and I can loan it to someone wanting to go detecting. So I have 2 MXT's, I would put the MXT up against any detector for depth, once you get familiar with the MXT you can the get really deep targets on a regular basis.
    MXT300 D2,950,6x10,4x6

Hi Folks,

I had three at one time, all Whites, but sold them off one by one. Just have the E-Trac and I'll not need another for a long time, I've not scratched the surface of what this fine machine will do yet.

Regards, Ken
    Minelab E-Trac, stock coil

Just one, I'm old and it is all that I can swing at any given time.nn <}
    Oldest Coin: 1846 LC

Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer

i have 5 whites silver eagle,eagle spectrum,spectrum XLT.beachunter ID-300 and a minelab XS covered with dust
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Tesoro Tejon, Silver uMax, Compadre, Fishers F2, early 70s Garret TR non-discriminator & my original '74 detector from the Sears Toy Catalog.

would like to add a Pro-Pointer, Whites MXT Pro and Tesoro Sand Shark

Was in the 5 row, but up to date there are three. And I think these three will cover all my needs.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Fisher CZ-70 Pro
    Tesoro DeLeon
    Whites MXT
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Only one thing to mention...not enough time to fullfill every one lol
    [attachimg=1]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

as of right now I have only one an M6, but may have two next month thinking of getting a VX3,only time will tell.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

If you get the new VX3, you will be be the chief advisor about here for everyone who is thinking about getting one. I wish I knew more about it to make a wise decision. I do like the fact that it is programmable.

I love the classic whites so i would like to have a collection of the different models. Prism 11 mxt ace150 idx-pro.there are several detectors i would like to try.The prism 11 is the most fun to use and has found as much stuff as the others.
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

I've been hunting for almost 50 years now and never have owned more than one detector at a time,I never learned to hunt with one in each hand so I will just stick with my M6. |
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Just opened my new T2. <: Now I have 3 detectors.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I have 5 detectors! My first was a Bounty Hunter Jr. that i paid $50 to hunt for copper in Michigans upper penninsula. I have about 10 pounds in a bucket.
    My latest is the E-Trac. I have an original Vision (#34) upgraded to V3i. A DFX that i use mostly with a Bigfoot coil to sweep large areas. And a BHID for working in the water. I had a prizm IV that i gave to my son in NC.
    One is gonna go next season! crying01
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

Quote Originally Posted by TC-NM link=topic=6462.msg76282#msg76282 date=1311711010
    I started detecting in 1974 using various and heavy detectors including Jetco, Whites & Garretts. Always wanted to try a Compass, but never purchased one.

Presently I have:

1) Original Whites Vision (pre V3) No. 82 off the assembly line. Great Detector!

2) Whites XL Pro (analog Meter) One hellava machine. Deadly accurate!

3) 6000/Di Professional (old blue box) As good as it gets for analog. . . Long live the 6000's!

Recently I just picked up a:

4) Tesoro Vaquero with stock coil. Nice and light. I think I'm going to like this one.

TC-NM
    [size=1t]Update:

I recently sold the 6000/Di Professional. . . I just don't want to be catagorized as a Hoarder!
    Nokta Impact - White's XL Pro - White's Spectra V3i - Sunray Pro Gold HP, Whites E-9000 by Koss HP - White's Digger - Garrett Pro-pointer AT

Been Detecting Since '74

I own one detector.......a strapping battle-tested ACE250!

....but I have been taking an occasional peek at minelab's website. It seems that they have a nifty little machine called an E-trac!!! hahahah thumbsup01

I'm rockin' an ACE250.

Gold Rings: 02
    Silver Rings: 01
    Silver Coins: 01
    Wheat Cents: : 06
    Bullet count: 06
    Military Buttons: 01
    Tokens: 04
    Keys: 07

"When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams are destroyed."

at the moment i have 4 detectors brand new e trac whites xlt ace 250 and 150 latst one is for sale dennis

I've had five different ones ,but I'm down to two. An XLT and a DFX. I like both, but I think the DFX goes a little deeper. I've used the XLT more, and have made more finds with it, ButI haven't had the DFX as long. There both fine detectors. |