Thread: Colonial Hunting with Del

Threaded View

Colonial Hunting with Del

We knew it was gonna be a hot one again today, so we started out early. By sun up we were at a familiar pair of cellar holes. One of them has given Dan some nice knee buckles and a nice CT copper on a prior hunt. The other has produced some large cents and Indians, plus a good amount of buttons too. So we get there and I immediately go to the nail infested area, so I can work the null. I am surprised that I hit a target immediately - part of a pocket knife (side panel). Second target follows just a couple of feet up and is a real nice early 1 pc decorated coat button. thumbsup01 Third target is just a couple more feet up and is really 3 targets in one, although I didn't know it at the time. Out pops a bit of tin The reading was higher than that. The second target reads 12-39, 12-40 and I didn't even give it a thought, since there is a lot of scrap at this site. Out pops a ............1838 Seated Half Dime |) |) |). So I look at it and I have to laugh. I'm saying so it is gonna be that easy today?? Not even ten minutes into the hunt and I get a Seated Half Dime already. The third target in the hole was a bit of lead. The rest of the day I spent digging every iffy target I could (some real, some imaginary) lol Ended up with some nice buttons and other assorted stuff. The 1838 is in real nice shape, probably dropped brand new except for one little flaw Someone put the letter A (for America?) on it. Not only on the obverse, which he engraved quite nicely, but again on the reverse too. >{ >{ But still a beauty and I am happy that both of us had 1 nice keeper each today. Dan's is gonna be a beauty I think

Here's the junk first

[attachimg=1]

And some of the better stuff

[attachimg=2]

Half dime still dirty

[attachimg=3]
    [attachimg=4]

And now clean, you can see the letter A nicely engraved

[attachimg=5]
    [attachimg=6]
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Finding relics is in my blood