Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first 'gold' coin- funny story...

My first 'gold' coin- funny story...

My dad's friend owns a house built in 1920 and invited me over to hunt. It was a great day, I found 4 silver coins- 3 Mercs and a Washington and then his neighbor came out to invite me over to her yard. She said she was thinking about buying her 8 yr old boy a metal detector and that I could hunt if I let him walk around with me. He was full of questions and lots of spunk.

After I showed him the basics of the metal detector, he asked if we find a gold coin, can I keep it? I was about to say sure, thinking we wouldn't find one, but said no, if we find any old coins before 1964 or jewelry I wanted to keep it.

Whoa and behold I started swinging and within a minute or two found this coin under his swing set at about 2 - 3 deep lol

I don't know foreign coins real well, was excited that perhaps it was gold... but it is brass still a funny story though! Then we found the silver religious medallion, that I plan to mail it to the woman who lived in the house before the present owner who knows her and that she was Catholic- she lives in Pennsylvania...

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Re: My first 'gold' coin- funny story...

thoes are real nice finds Tanacat,I bet there is more there,good going.

hunt it again. thumbsup01
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

I found one of those brass french coins, scared me for a minute. Thought it was gold....Nice finds and cool story. Nice finds, and Happy Hunting to you.
    We are not here for a long time, We are here for a good time. Happy Hunting!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Oldest coins: 1690's William III Copper
    1787 N J Copper, 1787 Ct Copper
    massdirtfisher@gmail.com

very nice Tana , so is the boy gonna get a detector or what ... he must of been impressed? yeah i had a brass coin fool me into thinking i had a gold for a minute or two lol lol congrats on the silver finds.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Cool finds!
    Whites M6, Eclipse 6X10 DD, Sunray DX-1

That coin must have had you going ! We sometimes dig the brass colored mexican coins - about the size of a half dollar. They always fool me & I have to sit back and recuperate ? Good hunt, nothing succeeds like success ! Steve in so az
    Fisher 1266X - Lesche digger
    Headband

Even if I found a gold coin I wouldn't believe it lol Nice story and a nice hunt too Tana thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Veteran Member

not gold but still a very elegant coin ..... you cleaned up on the rest . nice job
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

Quote Originally Posted by steve in so az link=topic=6509.msg76025#msg76025 date=1311536871
    They always fool me & I have to sit back and recuperate
    lol I've had a few 'diamond rings' where I had to recuperate... one of these days we'll find the gold coins. A fellow MDer around here found a gold coin in a local junior high school yard. Ya never know where...
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

8/ lol Oh man! I know that feeling
    I was at a 1840's homestead site and dug a deep low tone thinking this could be a gold coin
    And out from about 6 inches comes a golden colored token >{
    But you still made some nice finds and made a new friend thumbsup01
    Congrats
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Wow... lots of silver. Great job! <:
    I'd love a hunt like that. Looks like you have some more hunting to do there.

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat link=topic=6509.msg76006#msg76006 date=1311516948
    I was about to say sure, thinking we wouldn't find one
    lol Yeah, that would have sealed the deal for sure... you definitely would have found a Double Eagle to hand over to the kid. rofl

Great finds Tana!! Nice of you to introduce our hobby to another generation!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Quote Originally Posted by jkress link=topic=6509.msg76096#msg76096 date=1311558907
    lol Yeah, that would have sealed the deal for sure... you definitely would have found a Double Eagle to hand over to the kid. rofl
    lol rofl I bet that's happened somewhere in the world... I've hunted many yards/playgounds where the kids follow asking can I keep what you find? I usually hand the clad over to the kids
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

It's great you recovered some great finds. Junior, I'm sure had a good time when you uncoverd buried treasure. I bet there is a new detectorist to teach. Great finds. Thanks for showing a kid the excitement of the hunt.
    Digger of dirt and proud of it

I hope your little friend gets his metal detector. Yup the little ones always ask if they can keep what you find. very nice hunt
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by firstring link=topic=6509.msg76133#msg76133 date=1311605670
    Junior, I'm sure had a good time when you uncoverd buried treasure. I bet there is a new detectorist to teach. Great finds. Thanks for showing a kid the excitement of the hunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=6509.msg76138#msg76138 date=1311614181
    I hope your little friend gets his metal detector. Yup the little ones always ask if they can keep what you find. very nice hunt
    One of my sons (3 yrs old) is really interested in the hunt- he's a good digger already lol So I'm looking for a small yet good quality detector for his 4th b-day. It will be fun to have a hunting buddy. My husband and 6 yr old just like to see what I find...
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

My 3 year grandaughter comes and spends the weekend with us every now again. We will go to one of the local parks parks. Sometimes I'll take and swing my detector while Grandma has her at the kiddie park area. She'll see me and come running over wanting if found any buried treasure. I have a half oak barrel at home I use to mix my gardening soil. She takes the garden trowel and loves to dig in it. Why? She's looking for buried treasures like Grandad does. I think there's close to $4.00 clad and 2 or 3 junk rings still in there. OH THE THRILL OF THE HUNT!
    Digger of dirt and proud of it

Quote Originally Posted by firstring link=topic=6509.msg77574#msg77574 date=1312468660
    She takes the garden trowel and loves to dig in it. Why? She's looking for buried treasures like Grandad does. I think there's close to $4.00 clad and 2 or 3 junk rings still in there. OH THE THRILL OF THE HUNT!
    That is such a cool idea! I think I'll have to rig something up like that. Hey- how about the sandbox?

Thanks for the tip!

She's a cutie- that's her shaving you in your avatar pic?
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

love that double sided religous medal! pretty neat!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

thats just not fair ! You had me all twitter patted and then poof no gold LOL
    If at first you don't succeed, get the Government to Bail you out !