Thread: Ww1 training camp items at museum display

Ww1 training camp items at museum display

I loaned some of my collection of post cards, actual letters from the camp to home, photos of soldiers at camp, some relic items and coins found in the camp area to a small museum for their annual Camp Logan/Houston Riot of 1917 exhibit.
    Shown in the 10 Riker display cases, my items takes up most of the display cabinet.

They will be on display from the end of July to the end of September.
    I had a smaller display at the museum last year and they asked if I had more items to show for this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

Re: Ww1 training camp items at museum display

wow! neat,would like to see that too.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Very, very cool, Robbie! I love historical photos, documents, and artifacts. That display looks like it would be really interesting! It was very nice of you to loan part of your collection for the display.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That is a great display. They are lucky someone like you took the time to acquire, document, display, and loan those items out. I think the letters sent to home, would be my favorite.. Great job.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Just finished a short video about this years display.

2011 Museum Display- My Camp Logan Items
    Robbie
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

Hey Robbie, them Riker mounts are great for that type of display. I love the way that helmets are displayed too. That is a ready to go exibit and I'm sure they appreciate it very much. You're vidoe is done really well too. What program are you using to make the video if you don't mind me asking?? Very well done. |) |)
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=6576.msg77089#msg77089 date=1312149601
    Hey Robbie, them Riker mounts are great for that type of display. I love the way that helmets are displayed too. That is a ready to go exibit and I'm sure they appreciate it very much. You're vidoe is done really well too. What program are you using to make the video if you don't mind me asking?? Very well done. |) |)
    Thanks.

I have Windows XP Pro on my computer and use Windows Movie Maker 2.
    Robbie

Awesome display, Robbie. Those are great items. Fantastic job! thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Great display. How long have you been collecting items about this camp? I;m sure alot of people will appreciate this display. Good for you on doing this.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member

Awsome! Way to give back

I had a display in our library/museaum last year. Very similar.
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

A great display and very nice of you to share it with the museum and us . thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Great job Robbie! I met Spring Texas Digger, Jim I think his name is, out here on the beach a couple of years back and he was telling me all about Camp Logan! We have our own Fort Ord here on the Monterey Bay, but I don't believe it opened until WWII.
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon link=topic=6576.msg77483#msg77483 date=1312399900
    Great job Robbie! I met Spring Texas Digger, Jim I think his name is, out here on the beach a couple of years back and he was telling me all about Camp Logan! We have our own Fort Ord here on the Monterey Bay, but I don't believe it opened until WWII.
    SpringTexasdigger is Mark. I had asked him about his trip to the beach and he said he met lots of great folks there.
    Robbie

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=6576.msg77217#msg77217 date=1312210087
    Great display. How long have you been collecting items about this camp? I;m sure alot of people will appreciate this display. Good for you on doing this.
    A group of locals ( 7 of us) went on a search in the area in early 2007--we didn't find a lot but it sparked my interest in how the camp area looked back in 1917-1919.
    So I started getting post cards and photos of the camp. After I had over 100 I started looking for other camp items--actual letters and other printed items.

I have over 150 images of the soldiers and the camp, 6 different letters to home, a turkey day company menu from 1917, and a songbook from the camp. I have found relic items and some coins detecting at the camp site-----one of the coins is the oldest silver coin I have ever found---a well worn 1875 Seated Half Dollar.
    Robbie

Quote Originally Posted by Dimeman link=topic=6576.msg77586#msg77586 date=1312475668
    A group of locals ( 7 of us) went on a search in the area in early 2007--we didn't find a lot but it sparked my interest in how the camp area looked back in 1917-1919.
    So I started getting post cards and photos of the camp. After I had over 100 I started looking for other camp items--actual letters and other printed items.

I have over 150 images of the soldiers and the camp, 6 different letters to home, a turkey day company menu from 1917, and a songbook from the camp. I have found relic items and some coins detecting at the camp site-----one of the coins is the oldest silver coin I have ever found---a well worn 1875 Seated Half Dollar.
    That is fantastic, funny how someone can get involved. Did you do research for family members (letters). That is a great display and I am sure it will grow.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album