Thread: The dog who ate a Barber

The dog who ate a Barber

Earlier this week I found a 1912 Barber dime. As is my routine, I come home, clean my silvers in soap and water and then dry them and put them in 2x2's with their year, date I found them and location written in pen. I left this dime on the island in the kitchen. Well, my girlfriend came over tonight and was looking at it when Buddy, my dog, snatched it from her hand and proceeded to run off with it. By the time I caught up with the dog and pried the 2x2 from his vice grip, alligator type jars, the dime was gone. So, I guess tomorrow my etrac will be finding that Barber again, in much more 'difficult' ground.

The guilty party.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    DFX, 6x10dd, 5.3, stock 950. 120mm pp. E-Trac, Garrett PP

Re: The dog who ate a Barber

Did you metal detect the dog for the coin signal? Seems like you'd get a hit. Be interesting to say the least. martin

Ha ha ha! I knew when I saw the title of this that it was going to be an interesting story! Reminds me a Cheech and Chong routine! I followed him around with a little baggie for three days! lol

I hope everything comes out OK! rofl
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

must have been missing some silver in his diet,give him some X-LAX lol rofl
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

How can you not love a face like that? lol Maybe your dog needs a detector too. But It will be an interesting adventure to say the least. rofl Couldn't he have just eaten a clad? I'm suggesting ground set to difficult, fast definitely on (no need to stay there any longer than needed), Trash density to low (unless he ate a lot of other things too) and a close pin for you Hope it all works out for you.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

lol You might have to keep him restricted to a small area or room for the next couple of days. You don't want to miss anything lol

Actually, swinging the coil over the dog's stomach might be a good idea. You should hear the coin if it's there. Of course, that's assuming that he didn't swallow other metal objects as well. stretcher:

Are you sure he didn't drop it before you caught up with him? Seems like a 2X2 might be painful for a dog to swallow
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I think he got back the 2x2 but not the Barber. Smart dog lol Come on, run that machine over that puppy
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Well at least the recovery should be easy digging
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member

<}
    In guess everyone love Barbers

I agree...we need a little experimentation...run the detector over the dog..won't hurt him. Then we can make a medical break through for when/if kids swallow coins. Instead of an expensive x-ray, the doctors would have hand held Garrett's to see IF they swalled them. It would cut down on the cost of health care...not a lot, but it's a start!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

LOL..the dog has good taste huh? lol
    he's not the first dog to eat a coin, i once found 3 clad quarters in a dried up dog log. I took pics of them in the log, then cleaned the coins and posted it on another forum. i caught all kinds of flack for that one rofl rofl

All I needed was my Garrett Pro pointer and a needlenose pliers to recover the dime. Stomach acid had turned it black so it required the hot water, baking soda, salt and aluminum foil cleaning method.
    DFX, 6x10dd, 5.3, stock 950. 120mm pp. E-Trac, Garrett PP

lol Nice looking dog. I have had dogs a big portion of my life and can definitely agree these types of things happen.
    Glad to hear the coin didn't cause problems for fido and I am happy you re-found the barber.
    Congrats x 2

I never thought a Barber could be considered a crappy find . Congrats on finding it twice . thumbsup01 thumbsup01
    That's a great looking pup you have there glad everything came out ok .

Veteran Member

The journey an old Dime will make.. rofl rofl Great Story !! Beautiful Dog thumbsup01 thumbsup01
    Congrats on both finds
    V3i DFX 10 DD 6x10 DD 4x6 DD DX-1

All's well that ends well! thumbsup01
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Yo Wings:Jack Leo from lansdale here.Just touching base,sent my V3i back to Whites two weeks ago for a little tune up,waiting for its return,been about 2 wks now.
    I have been researching a defunct amusement park close to my home used extensively since the early 1900's.Googled the maps and it looks to me like there is
    a good deal of ground available for a couple m/d ersthinkingabout:JAs I said just touching base seeing if you'd be interested in a hunt down this waythinkingabout: Jack