Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: a 6 copper colonial pocket spill

Re: a 6 copper colonial pocket spill

I VOTE FIND OF THE DECADE!!!

Truly an amazing wonderful piece of early colonial history. Way to go. Thats why you go metal detecting. Congrats. Happy Hunting!!
    We are not here for a long time, We are here for a good time. Happy Hunting!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Oldest coins: 1690's William III Copper
    1787 N J Copper, 1787 Ct Copper
    massdirtfisher@gmail.com

WOW!! That's an amazing spill, congrats to you!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

My WIFE was impressed when I showed her! Now THAT is amazing!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Wow Dan amazing work...that's the find of the year in my book.
    I hope the varieties are rare and valuable.
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

Elite Member

|) |)
    Way to go Dan...you so deserved it after having to watch George pull all of those coppers out all season long...You deserved a GREAT score like that! Those are some incredible coins!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

[move][size=1t]updated information on the coins [/move]

first ,
    again thanks everyone for the nice words and pm's , the questions and interests is great.

i have gotten some 4 confirmed i.d's on the 6 coins with these three more interesting than the other one which turned out to be a (Newman 15-Y ) .

the first is the 1774 King George III is in fact a confirmed ( Vlack 3-74A. ) a rare Machin Mills counterfiet copper estimated numbers of coins available are only 65 to 124 coins

the next coin is a 1787 fugio thats confirmed as a (Newman 4-E ) known as a club ray variety with a rarity as scarce with only 250 - 499 coin available

which brings me to this Fugio , it was a good run around to id it but has been confirmed as a (Newman 13-N ) and is a very rare type with as few 17- 33 coins available and happens to be the best conditioned coin in the spill i found .

this coin is even missing out of some of the most prestigious coin collections and could be one of the best examples around . i do not know what a coin like this might fetch on an auction and i did find one example on ebay and it was rated as a g-5 condition , holed and with a counterstamp a pretty beat specimen and they still want $1,500 for it .
    heres a link-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1787-Fugio-c...49531078907546

just wanted to keep you all informed as some have been very interested in this from the get go.

Thanks again for looking .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I bet you wouldn't sell any of them! You going to showcase them together? Seems to have been a lot of counterfeiting going on back then. I'll have to read up on it.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I know, I know, I haven't been on here in awhile. Dan and I use to go all the time until I got Lyme Disease and had to pretty much give it up. It's been 5 years now since having the rash and unfortunately it caused irreversible and degenerative joint , muscle and nerve damage which causes me to be in pain all the time.
    Anyway, I want to congratulate Dan and George on this hunt. If I had been there, I would have probably been shaking all the way home. Best hunt I've seen these two have. I hope to hook up for a little while with the Master(Dan) (CANE IN ONE HAND, DETECTOR IN THE OTHER) in the next few months before it gets too cold for me.
    All coins have areas of great detail and I hope Dan found out the Variety of the Fugio. Too bad G's coin wasn't laying date side down. It seems that the side facing down comes out looking better. Anyway, I would be happy beyond belief. I'm getting itchy just typing this reply!! :white:
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=6815.msg79713#msg79713 date=1313891896
    got up early today to hit some colonial sites with Coinnut , he wanted to hit an old cellar that was really good to him years back . after a good jeep ride into the woods we could go no further so we hoofed it for another 1/4 to 1/2 mile we made it to a nice big colonial with lots of area.

the once virgin site was pretty devoid of targets just a few small buttons was our reward after many hours. so we headed up the road and hit another large site .this is where i found this little fella

with again little results , so we drove to a nearby area that had about two more large colonials with large fields and George an i went to work . after a few more hours i headed down to the last cellar

and began to work a steep bank . half way up i got a great target ( the best of the day ) but it wasn't very deep , maybe on a the steep grade it doesn't have to be , i thought. at about 2 1/2 inches it was an aluminum can end >:{ >:/ what the @$!% is this here for , the detecting gods were making sport of me lol rofl . i continued up the grade for two reasons , 1. most people don't do them and 2. i wanted to see the top as i have never been up there and wanted to hit the area above the cellar . i reached the top of the grade and worked a small area overlooking the cellar then i got a beautiful coin sounding target and a solid +88 - +89 on my dfx stretcher: . before i got to excited i pinpointed it and it pegged at 6 inches and i'm thinking this could be a nice goodsized piece of silver . after i pull a 3 inch plug out i start to dig in the nice soft dirt with my hand after a little dirt i pull this out

just by their color i knew there could be more in the hole

6 coppers all stacked on top of each other not just a copper spill but a real colonial copper spill they are a 1774 King George III (counterfiet) , 4 1787 fugio coppers ( sorry Angel i just had to beat your two in one day record ) and a 1788 New Jersey state copper (maris 67-v. variety common type).

oh yeah i did the dance happydance02 <:

heres all the goodies 5 buttons a shoe buckle frame and the coppers , their pretty green so it might be awhile before their cleaned first i have to id them , but i keep you all posted with more pictures of the progress.HH

Dan
    Hidy Del . VERY NICE finds . Yall got it made up there in thoses hills . Good luck .
    Civil War Nut
    V3, V3i, 4" 6" 8" (3) 10" 12" DD super coils