Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a 6 copper colonial pocket spill

a 6 copper colonial pocket spill

got up early today to hit some colonial sites with Coinnut , he wanted to hit an old cellar that was really good to him years back . after a good jeep ride into the woods we could go no further so we hoofed it for another 1/4 to 1/2 mile we made it to a nice big colonial with lots of area.

the once virgin site was pretty devoid of targets just a few small buttons was our reward after many hours. so we headed up the road and hit another large site .this is where i found this little fella

with again little results , so we drove to a nearby area that had about two more large colonials with large fields and George an i went to work . after a few more hours i headed down to the last cellar

and began to work a steep bank . half way up i got a great target ( the best of the day ) but it wasn't very deep , maybe on a the steep grade it doesn't have to be , i thought. at about 2 1/2 inches it was an aluminum can end >:{ >:/ what the @$!% is this here for , the detecting gods were making sport of me lol rofl . i continued up the grade for two reasons , 1. most people don't do them and 2. i wanted to see the top as i have never been up there and wanted to hit the area above the cellar . i reached the top of the grade and worked a small area overlooking the cellar then i got a beautiful coin sounding target and a solid +88 - +89 on my dfx stretcher: . before i got to excited i pinpointed it and it pegged at 6 inches and i'm thinking this could be a nice goodsized piece of silver . after i pull a 3 inch plug out i start to dig in the nice soft dirt with my hand after a little dirt i pull this out

just by their color i knew there could be more in the hole

6 coppers all stacked on top of each other not just a copper spill but a real colonial copper spill they are a 1774 King George III (counterfiet) , 4 1787 fugio coppers ( sorry Angel i just had to beat your two in one day record ) and a 1788 New Jersey state copper (maris 67-v. variety common type).

oh yeah i did the dance happydance02 <:

heres all the goodies 5 buttons a shoe buckle frame and the coppers , their pretty green so it might be awhile before their cleaned first i have to id them , but i keep you all posted with more pictures of the progress.HH

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Re: a 6 copper colonial pocket spill

You still doing that happy dance? lol Your wife is gonna make you sleep outside tonight rofl Great job today. That colonial pocket spill is oh yeah That is two hunts in a row I took a whoopin' and I'm not liking it much I hope they clean up nicely Dan. You needed a good day and I'd say this one qualifies Makes my finds look meager lol But I did manage to score 1 copper and I think it's a Louis the XVI, but can't seem to find the same reverse on Google. But I didn't look that hard either lol Got a wierd looking bell, a good amount of buttons and other stuff for the collection. It was a really good hunt today. Congrats on that spill.

Here's some of the junk (rest is in Dan's jeep 8/)
    [attachimg=1]

The better stuff
    [attachimg=2]

The copper still dirty
    [attachimg=3]
    [attachimg=4]

And cleaned as best as it's gonna get. This area pits coppers
    [attachimg=5]
    [attachimg=6]
    Attached Images Attached Images             
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

HOLY CRAP! SSSSSAAAAAAWWEEEEEEEEEEET! you were long overdue for a day like today! that puts you right back in the race dude!.and G likes gettin spanked > (shh his wife told me that) rofl
    sweet copper G! never seen one of those.what a great day fellas!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

thanks you two , George that coin is in pretty decent shape. what would be the around date for Louis the xvi reign anyways.

i'm pretty sure the king george III is either a machin mills 1774 (vlack5-74a ) or a (vlack7-74a) the reverses are very close , George the coins are starting to clean up a little . some of the detail on a couple of the fugios is incredible as soon as i get them presentable i'll post'em .

wow i would give up on that site ,you got it all.
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=6815.msg79724#msg79724 date=1313894517
    George that coin is in pretty decent shape. what would be the around date for Louis the xvi reign anyways.
    I think it said 1774 -1792. I thought it was older lol

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=6815.msg79724#msg79724 date=1313894517
    i'm pretty sure the king george III is either a machin mills 1774 (vlack5-74a ) or a (vlack7-74a) the reverses are very close
    What did I tell you? rofl If you are gonna find a colonial pocket spill, it has to have some rare varieties in it lol It's in the relic hunter's rules thumbsup01 Can't wait to see them Fugios

Holy cow!!! Nice little hunt you guys had. Patience pays off. Congrats on a great hunt!!! Happy Hunting Guys!!
    We are not here for a long time, We are here for a good time. Happy Hunting!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Oldest coins: 1690's William III Copper
    1787 N J Copper, 1787 Ct Copper
    massdirtfisher@gmail.com

Holy cow guys!!
    Del big congrats on the colonial spill! |) |) |)
    I can't wait to see the cleaned coins! I just love the circles on the Fugios And the state coppers are just about as old as it gets here in the new world! Thats just hard to wrap my brain around lol Thats a find of a life time!
    And George you had a good day too.! Thats a different looking copper Never seen one like that. But thats not saying much either! lol
    Big Congrats guy!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

That is unfathomable Dan! Has anything like this ever happened before to anyone on the forum? Have fun with the cleaning...it will be a labor of love. Did you did 'em with my shovel?lol
    It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! Well, it COULD have happened to me....haha I'd have about the same chance finding those coins as Helen Keller wearing oven mits.
    Hooray Dan!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

WOW, what an unbelievable find Dan.

Talk about an instant boost in your copper count, and I see the change has already been made. thumbsup01

You and George make a heck of a one ,two punch.....you hit um high and George hits um low. lol lol
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

DAN - HOLY SCHNIKEYS WOW OMGAWD <:

George nice pull...

You two had a good day...

Paul
    2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

Wow!!! the only thing I ask of you guy's is to leave at least one old copper for me to find some day. lol lol Nice job.
    Minelab E-Trac, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Tesoro Cortes

Wow, what a great find, wonder if they were lost in a pouch that they stayed together like that. Hope they clean up nicely.

The French copper appears to be a 1791 French 12 Denier, not 100% positive but sure is similar.

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

Jyes

Wow, you guys!!! Just wow!! |) |) |) |)

Dan, that is an incredible spill!!!! Are you going to clean them and post photos? What a day!!!

And George, I love that copper!!! You two had a fantastic day!!!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Jyes link=topic=6815.msg79764#msg79764 date=1313934840

The French copper appears to be a 1791 French 12 Denier, not 100% positive but sure is similar.

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

Jyes
    Thanks for IDing my copper Jyes. Now that I see the pictures I can try and make out the date. Unfortunately, all I can read is the 179_ lol I appreciate the research. Thanks thumbsup01

jeALLLLLOUS! ......................I need to get out.

Outstanding copper spill Dan! Those sure do bring back memories. And I bet your heart was pounding more than usual too. lol What a wonderful hit. I hope they clean up well. I know that I have had a hard time getting that thick verdigris off of my coppers. I can't really tell from your photo, but I'm guessing it may not be as bad, and the details will shine through. A huge congrats!

Nice old French copper, George. I think it is the first one I have seen dug. By the way, you should have video recorded Dan's dance. lol

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel link=topic=6815.msg79795#msg79795 date=1313945871
    Outstanding copper spill Dan! Those sure do bring back memories. And I bet your heart was pounding more than usual too. lol What a wonderful hit. I hope they clean up well. I know that I have had a hard time getting that thick verdigris off of my coppers. I can't really tell from your photo, but I'm guessing it may not be as bad, and the details will shine through. A huge congrats!

Nice old French copper, George. I think it is the first one I have seen dug. By the way, you should have video recorded Dan's dance. lol
    thanks Angel the green verdigris is pretty thick but intial results are slow going but i'm making some head way and they look pretty good but i have alot more to do to them .this is what i have so far the picture don do the details justice by the way .

Look at those beauties!!!!
    [move] [/move]

Way to go!!! I hope you guys score better next time, if thats possible. CONGRATS!! thumbsup01
    We are not here for a long time, We are here for a good time. Happy Hunting!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Oldest coins: 1690's William III Copper
    1787 N J Copper, 1787 Ct Copper
    massdirtfisher@gmail.com

Veteran Member

Find of a lifetime im sure. we dont get coins like that here in the midwest. Thanks for sharing.