Thread: Question regarding finds

Question regarding finds

This may have been discussed before but I don't know what key words to use in the search. I was wondering about the number of people who keep their findings (relics, coins and jewelry) versus those that sell and for what percentage of the total of their findings. Also, regarding clad, do you keep it or clean it and spend it?

Thank you.
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Re: Question regarding finds

Bob , clad can add up fast and i know some guys that keep all their clad until the end of the year and then use it to buy themselves silver rounds , silver coins , proof sets or even a gold coin . i myself have never sold any coins or relics but have donated some old relics and some coins to make displays for a few teachers or schools to use as learning aids . they thought it was a great teaching tool that gave the kids some tangeable items that made it a little more exciting to learn about our early pioneers. seeing the kind of buttons they used or items in everyday life or the kind of money they used to earn and spend . i have gotten many thanks and even got to be a guest speaker about the subject at one school , it was very rewarding to see the young people very interested in the objects i brought and ask alot of questions .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Bob, I save my clad till the end of the year. I try to buy a slabbed coin (high grade). I have only sold one item, that RR tag and only that because I had duplicates. I keep all my wheats in a jar and my other keeper coins in 2x2's in a binder. I do have several displays (Rickers I think they are called).
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Bob - I keep my relics, sell tokens & most jewelry. As for clad I tumble & roll in coin rolls about every 4 weeks & send a check to the Gospel Rescue Mission for the homeless. My CW relics I love but the tokens are a one time shot mostly - wont find other things to tie to them for a display or such.
    Steve in so az
    Fisher 1266X - Lesche digger
    Headband

Veteran Member

I sell my clad as soon as the jar fills to pay bills. Move 'em out boys lol I hate the look of dug clad. I send all dug silver and gold jewelry into ARA as well (after trying to find the owner of identifiable gold).

I save all dug silver coins (except my 1800 half dime, which is the only silver I ever sold -- I could not justify having that sort of money just sitting around).
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

All my old coins I keep and will probably go to the grandkids one day, the clad usually I give to my oldest daughter. I've donated some relics to the township historical society and the others I keep in a box, of coarse the jewelry gets claimed by my wife.
    MXT300 D2,950,6x10,4x6

Thank you all for the replies. I am impressed with all the great possibilities for the clad. I guess I'll hang on to the few 'relics' and fewer 'silver' coins which were my initial motivations for detecting.

Del:
    Historic displays are a great idea and keeps the history alive. I really like that idea and will attempt to pursue that further especially if I find more interesting artifacts.

Thanks again everyone.
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Veteran Member

i keep everything i find except the clad . i roll it up and pay for ice cream for my kid at school. i keep my stuff in tackle boxes.. just for kicks .. if i were to sell anything it would be on a as needed basis
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me