Thread: detecting scenario...what would you expect - brick sidewalks

detecting scenario...what would you expect - brick sidewalks

So... Yesterday while working my current yard project...I unearthed a brick sidewalk that is no longer used. It is about 2 inches down...now I have noticed (and this is how I found a sidewalk) I get a rediculously high signal (HEY STUPID - there is a coin right there signal) it bounces back and forth like crazy. Now the detector (Garrett Ace 350) says that this crazy high signal is about 2 inches down...

Now is the metal content so high and obvious that it is screwing up the depth and the object is actually under the bricks or is there something in the bricks that is making the metal detector go nuts? Maybe a metal pipe :-\ under the bricks?
    Garrett Ace 350
    Garrett ProPointer
    ---
    3 Indian Head Pennies, 16 Wheat Pennies
    1 Two Cent Piece
    2 V Nickels, 3 Buffalo Nickels, 2 War Nickels
    3 Barber Dimes, 1 Mercury Dime
    1 Barber Quarter
    1 Silver Ring

Re: detecting scenario...what would you expect - brick sidewalks

There'sa good chance there's some thing under it!! I got a signal about a foot away from the edge of the grass one time. So I dug down and tunneled under the concrete! lol It was giving me a penny signal. It turned out to be a tea spoon from a kids play set >:# There went my dreams of a LC or seated Maybe just try and pluck the one brick and recover the target and then replace it thumbsup01 Under a brick walk way? It could be anything. But one thing is for sure it's probably really old!
    Good luck ! And keep us posted...good or ...not so good. lol It'll be interesting to see :-> :->
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger link=topic=6880.msg80461#msg80461 date=1314285462
    There'sa good chance there's some thing under it!! I got a signal about a foot away from the edge of the grass one time. So I dug down and tunneled under the concrete! lol It was giving me a penny signal. It turned out to be a tea spoon from a kids play set >:# There went my dreams of a LC or seated Maybe just try and pluck the one brick and recover the target and then replace it thumbsup01 Under a brick walk way? It could be anything. But one thing is for sure it's probably really old!
    Good luck ! And keep us posted...good or ...not so good. lol It'll be interesting to see :-> :->
    Well, it is from the yard I dug up all my recent finds so I would hope it would be interesting that is why I HAD to ask, maybe this one will be a seated half dollar lol. Perhaps I am disuaded against walkways and such because all of the modern stuff sometimes has renforcement metal bars in them. >:/ there is another walkway made of stone that gives off signals close to the edge of it...and I am wondering if they are actually stone or fake stone with reinforced metal in them. Was it an old play set with a silver spoon?

I hope its not a pipe, I already dug up an old metal sewer pipe section.

I am glad it rained though, put the yard back in order, and for some reason, I think I find older stuff right after the rain. lol

I will definetely post the find if there is one. So far from this yard:

Barber Quarter, 2 Barber Dimes, 3 Indian Head Pennies, 2 V nickels, a 2 Cent Piece, plus various clads, iron nails, and junk. I had a washer with a hole in it yesterday that was pretty deep, thought it might have been a coin,...no such luck, I also found a huge silver spoon, and was all excited about it, until I bent it and all of the plating fell off. rofl
    Garrett Ace 350
    Garrett ProPointer
    ---
    1 Two Cent Piece
    1 Barber Quarter
    1 Silver Ring

If you are getting one signal under a brick then it probably is a target of some sorts. If you get multiple hits on most of the bricks, then it is probably a pipe or something they used when putting in the bricks. In our area, old bricks actually hurt detector depth. I think there is a good amount of iron content in them.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut link=topic=6880.msg80463#msg80463 date=1314286604
    If you are getting one signal under a brick then it probably is a target of some sorts. If you get multiple hits on most of the bricks, then it is probably a pipe or something they used when putting in the bricks. In our area, old bricks actually hurt detector depth. I think there is a good amount of iron content in them.
    George is right , the red bricks we find at old cellar sites are loaded with iron sometimes and will actually make the detectors get a hit like a target especially burried 3 plus inches down . i would suggest digging one up and going over it to see if it affects your machine too.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

You guys might be right about that content thing....it is probably just the mixture of brick. crying01 lol

Next time I get down there I will try and get one out -- see what happens.
    Garrett Ace 350
    Garrett ProPointer
    ---
    1 Two Cent Piece
    1 Barber Quarter
    1 Silver Ring

Quote Originally Posted by switch link=topic=6880.msg80462#msg80462 date=1314286323
    Was it an old play set with a silver spoon?
    No It was an aluminum one But it was MADE IN USA!! thumbsup01
    Good luck! thumbsup01
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Here is another thought... those could be good signals.
    Last year I was detecting a stretch of grass along the street when I got a good signal only a couple of inches down.
    Stuck my digger in and hit brick in the first few inches. Turned out to be a brick sidewalk from yesteryear. The wheat cents
    and silver could only sink as deep as the bricks. I pulled several nice ones out from that stretch. See the hunt Here

Quote Originally Posted by jkress link=topic=3045.msg31872#msg31872 date=1289957229
    It was easy digging. It is a long stretch of brick sidewalk that is about 3 inches under the surface. The coins can't sink any further. But there is a blanket of metal targets laying right on top of the old brick sidewalk.
    Go after a few of them... see what turns up.

Quote Originally Posted by switch link=topic=6880.msg80462#msg80462 date=1314286323

maybe this one will be a seated half dollar lol.
    I'm sure you'll let us know if it is

It's tomorrow now---- so have you dug it up yet?
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Digger: At least it was made in USA

Del, Coinnut: Probably metal lol Good Idea Del, I will do that while checking the hole for silver

JKress: Not sure if they are on the tops of the bricks..maybe between the cracks. At least I didn't notice anything right away, just bricks.

Tanacat: Not yet, planning on going today.

Garrett Ace 350
    Garrett ProPointer
    ---
    1 Two Cent Piece
    1 Barber Quarter
    1 Silver Ring

I think its the bricks

I followed the sidewalk around to a trail of maddening tones. lol
    Garrett Ace 350
    Garrett ProPointer
    ---
    1 Two Cent Piece
    1 Barber Quarter
    1 Silver Ring

Most likely it is the iron content in the clay used to make/fire the bricks. I would still hit the area hard and look for small repeatable solid coin targets and dig 'em up.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Quote Originally Posted by milco link=topic=6880.msg80802#msg80802 date=1314621557
    Most likely it is the iron content in the clay used to make/fire the bricks. I would still hit the area hard and look for small repeatable solid coin targets and dig 'em up.
    Going to try, but those bricks are producing ALOT of noise. lol
    Garrett Ace 350
    Garrett ProPointer
    ---
    1 Two Cent Piece
    1 Barber Quarter
    1 Silver Ring