Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recent Hunts - Spanish Reales, Other Silver, Coppers

Recent Hunts - Spanish Reales, Other Silver, Coppers

Other than an hour or two here and there during late August, I had not been able to spend time detecting since my last post in mid-August. It looks like such will be the trend for the remainder of the year. I did manage three hunts this month though, and each one was productive.

Last Saturday I was able to give a new site in Connecticut a try. Given the location, I had no expectation of finding a good amount of modern silver, so I concentrated my efforts on trying to hit on any deep coins that may still be there. I selected a relatively large area and slowly worked it for several hours. As I had thought, the good targets were on the deep side, with minimal modern clad and trash layering the first few inches of soil.

This 1899 Barber half was one of the shallower good targets. It was about 8 to 9 inches deep near the base of a very large tree and under a mesh of thin roots. It was a solid hit though, so I was surprised it had been missed after all these years.

( Don't mind the band-aid. I had a small cut I had been shielding from the soil. )

Not far from where I dug the half I picked up this 1876-CC Seated dime.

I also scored with three colonial coppers, but they are in poor shape. On the following one I can make out a bit of detail.

The day's take.

This too is an interesting find. A lead dice.

Yesterday I had a few hours to myself, so I headed out to another Connecticut site I had worked several times before. The finds were sparse, but I did score with an old silver - a 1782 Spanish 1 Reale.

The finds. The 'Indian Cent' is a Not One Cent token.

Today the weather was perfect for spending some time detecting, so early in the afternoon I headed out to the same site I had worked last Saturday. It ended up being a good choice, as the site yielded several more keepers.

This was my first good target, a 1756 Spanish Half Reale. The obverse has sharper details than the reverse.

After that sweet find, and several hours later, I also had in my pouch a mercury dime, a 1898 Barber quarter, a 1904 Barber dime, an old button, two Indian Head cents, and two corroded colonial coppers.

The Barber dime is in great shape, having some sharp details.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone!

Re: Recent Hunts - Spanish Reales, Other Silver, Coppers

some impressive old silver Angel
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Oh my... some absolutely gorgeous silver here.
    Of course the Seated and Barber half are exciting finds. And the LC's are something I drool over every time I see them.
    But your hunts yesterday and today are just incredible. Two early Spanish silver coins. |)
    I just can't imagine the thrill of pulling something like that out of the ground.
    By the way, great detail in that Barber dime and neat find on the 'Not one cent' token.
    Congratulations Angel on some fine hunting and incredible finds.

another bunch of awsome finds,wtg.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

wow awesome hunt wtg
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

Great silver Angel, I would be proud to find any of these coins. WTG
    Oldest Coin: 1846 LC

Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer

Excellent bunch of finds!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

That's some productive digging. do you ever sell your coins? Display them?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by charlives link=topic=7045.msg82024#msg82024 date=1315781309
    That's some productive digging. do you ever sell your coins? Display them?
    It's been many years since I sold any of my coins. I have been keeping all since then. I do not have a display, but I do try to fill my Dansco albums.

It's always a treat to see your finds, Angel! You never disappoint! Those are some incredible coins! How cool to find that Reale and Half Reale from the 1700s, and they both look to be in decent shape!

Terrific Finds!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Thanks for taking some time off from mding, gave the rest of us a chance to get some silver. LOL great finds there Angel, coppers, reales, Barbers. Really like reading your posts.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Constants in life are death and taxes but Angel's ability to pull out simply awesome finds is definitely a very close third.

Congrats on another (insert large group of superlatives here) hunt.

|) |)
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

WOW! Fantastic! <:
    Garrett Ace 350
    Garrett ProPointer
    ---
    3 Indian Head Pennies, 16 Wheat Pennies
    1 Two Cent Piece
    2 V Nickels, 3 Buffalo Nickels, 2 War Nickels
    3 Barber Dimes, 1 Mercury Dime
    1 Barber Quarter
    1 Silver Ring

Very rewarding for your efforts !! Steve in so az
    Fisher 1266X - Lesche digger
    Headband

Great finds Angel as usual, love all the goodies, you inspire me and of course all of us here!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Great to see you posting Angel, although as always your posts fill me with an almost intolerable envy... the full blown, green eyed monster kind. Just amazing!
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

OK, I am tired of the silver from the 1700's already. Where is that stuff from the 1600's? lol

Angel, you amaze me with your ability to pull these fantastic finds on a regular basis. Congratulations on some really awesome finds. Your prowess at extracting history from the ground is truly metal detecting at it's best. Thanks for sharing your finds, and your expertise here on the forum.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Great finds as always!

I also found a 1756 half reale. Of course, unlike you it's the only reale I have found. lol
    It's the coin in my avatar. A little electrolysis made it easier to read and it looks better now.

Does yours have a slight bend to it?
    Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Golden Sabre II, Tesoro Cutlass II µMax, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro pointer
    Oldest coin, 1732 King George II Halfpenny

Thank you for the kind and encouraging comments everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by BillZ link=topic=7045.msg82271#msg82271 date=1316028731
    Great finds as always!

I also found a 1756 half reale. Of course, unlike you it's the only reale I have found. lol
    It's the coin in my avatar. A little electrolysis made it easier to read and it looks better now.

Does yours have a slight bend to it?
    It's nice and straight actually. They are so tiny that bending them wouldn't take much pressure though. They do make for exciting finds even when bent.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage link=topic=7045.msg82169#msg82169 date=1315875734
    Angel, you amaze me with your ability to pull these fantastic finds on a regular basis. Congratulations on some really awesome finds. Your prowess at extracting history from the ground is truly metal detecting at it's best. Thanks for sharing your finds, and your expertise here on the forum.
    Well said. I concur.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250