Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver Half Dollar, CW Bullet? and more

Silver Half Dollar, CW Bullet? and more

This morning Ron (Rgorman) and I headed back to a park we hunted last week. Turned out to be a very fun morning.

Recovered three nice silver coins along with a couple of wheat cents.

Also managed to find something very similar to what many of you Civil War hunters find. I really don't know
    much about these or how long they were used past the Civil War. The bullet is holed at the bottom.
    Although I can't imagine someone wearing this chunk of lead as a necklace... but I suppose anything is possible.
    Nonetheless, it is a very, very exciting find for me.

It is about 1 inch long and 5/8 wide at the base. The patina/oxidation looks correct to be of the time period.
    The town park where I found it certainly dates back to before the Civil War.

I just can't imagine being struck by one of these.

Best of luck this weekend folks. thumbsup01

Re: Silver Half Dollar, CW Bullet? and more

very nice hunt, nice silvers, yep it looks as though it was worn around someones neck wtg
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

very nice half,quarter and dime,other Items are neat too,very good hunt,wtg.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Veteran Member

great hunt Joe , i have a few of those bullets , very heavy How did Ron do ?

Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Great recoveries. Very good looking silver, nice bullet. Had some fun digging those I bet.
    Digger of dirt and proud of it

Great finds, especially the Walking Liberty Half! Awesome! |)

I agree that the bullet was probably worn as a necklace. I can't imagine what else the holes would be for.

Congrats on the successful hunt!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

WTG on a great hunt! Good luck this weekend!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Dang dude!! Your like a machine!! A silver seeking machine!!
    A machine with a BIG appetite for the shiny stuff!!
    Sweet hunt Joe!!
    Congrats!!
    Just a guess but the bullet could've been holed to be used as a fishing sinker Or maybe a plumb bob Who knows lol
    All I know is it's old. And it's cool! lol
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

sweet sized silver Joe don't see many 35's and that merc is a sharp one
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by rsarge1 link=topic=7102.msg82407#msg82407 date=1316217147
    yep it looks as though it was worn around someones neck wtg
    Kind of what I thought... but boy I hate to get hit in the chest with that thing dangling down. lol

Quote Originally Posted by JTGOLD link=topic=7102.msg82410#msg82410 date=1316221701
    very nice half,quarter and dime,other Items are neat too,very good hunt,wtg.
    Thank you JT.

Quote Originally Posted by dave in iowa link=topic=7102.msg82413#msg82413 date=1316222678
    great hunt Joe , i have a few of those bullets , very heavy How did Ron do ?
    Thanks Dave. Ron didn't get a silver on this hunt, but found some good targets to dig.

Quote Originally Posted by firstring link=topic=7102.msg82416#msg82416 date=1316223484
    Had some fun digging those I bet.
    It was fun for sure. The half was hiding very shallow in a heavy iron area... only 4-5 inches down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=7102.msg82418#msg82418 date=1316223660
    Congrats on the successful hunt!
    Thanks a bunch Tony. It was one of those memorable ones.

Quote Originally Posted by milco link=topic=7102.msg82427#msg82427 date=1316225707
    WTG on a great hunt! Good luck this weekend!
    Thank you Darren. I have a full photo schedule tomorrow, but Sunday morning I'll be looking for the shiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger link=topic=7102.msg82428#msg82428 date=1316226481
    Just a guess but the bullet could've been holed to be used as a fishing sinker
    Noooooo... someone better not have used such an old bullet to keep a worm on the river bottom. lol
    Thanks for the kind words Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=7102.msg82431#msg82431 date=1316229731
    sweet sized silver Joe don't see many 35's and that merc is a sharp one
    The Merc is in very nice shape. Lots of detail left in her.

Man you are kicking some serious butt lately , awesome coins and great pictures . thumbsup01 thumbsup01

Great hunting Joe! I dug a CW bullet w/ 2 holes just like that. I thought prob wore around neck... or had a leather strip and used as a plug for end of rifle...
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Sweet large silver Joe! I bet she sang sweetly in your ears. lol

That bullet looks menacing. I would hate to be the target of such a brute. stretcher:

Nice hunt! thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbooty link=topic=7102.msg82440#msg82440 date=1316235474
    Man you are kicking some serious butt lately , awesome coins and great pictures . thumbsup01 thumbsup01
    Thanks Sheik. I've been having some extraordinary luck this past month or so. I'll enjoy it while it lasts,
    cause sooner or later I am due for a few of the 1 wheat cent only hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat link=topic=7102.msg82448#msg82448 date=1316283305
    Great hunting Joe! I dug a CW bullet w/ 2 holes just like that. I thought prob wore around neck... or had a leather strip and used as a plug for end of rifle...
    Thank you Tana. Interesting theory on the holed bullet. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel link=topic=7102.msg82465#msg82465 date=1316305083
    I bet she sang sweetly in your ears. lol

That bullet looks menacing. I would hate to be the target of such a brute. stretcher:
    The cursor was definitely pegged in the top right. I really suspected a clad quarter since it was just on the edge of being deep enough to be silver.
    Popped the plug and there she sat sparkling in the hole not more than 5 inches down.

Yes... I'd never want to be on the receiving end of this piece of lead.

Excellent recoveries. Congrats on the silvers
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Veteran Member

Beautiful finds Joe !! Awesome Pic's too
    V3i DFX 10 DD 6x10 DD 4x6 DD DX-1

I missed this thread before, Joe. Beautiful hunt! You had to have been very happy at the end of that day! |)
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by jkress link=topic=7102.msg82406#msg82406 date=1316216952
    This morning Ron (Rgorman) and I headed back to a park we hunted last week. Turned out to be a very fun morning.

Recovered three nice silver coins along with a couple of wheat cents.

Also managed to find something very similar to what many of you Civil War hunters find. I really don't know
    much about these or how long they were used past the Civil War. The bullet is holed at the bottom.
    Although I can't imagine someone wearing this chunk of lead as a necklace... but I suppose anything is possible.
    Nonetheless, it is a very, very exciting find for me.

It is about 1 inch long and 5/8 wide at the base. The patina/oxidation looks correct to be of the time period.
    The town park where I found it certainly dates back to before the Civil War.

I just can't imagine being struck by one of these.

Best of luck this weekend folks. thumbsup01
    Hidy j . If I knew what part of the State you found it might help a little . It should be a .69 cal. But the only two in my books one , the .69 cal . British sea servic . But the nose is not the same . The other is the .69 cal . prussian that looks a little like it . It is more than likely C.W. because of the oxidation on the inside of the hole . You must have found it in a park or wooded place or next to water . those tend not to grt as white as one found in open fields . The way the back is rounded in deep I would say CSA . There was so meany differnt kinds I dont thank they have ever came up with all they used . And I would say it was holded for a good reason , maybe got hit with it . I have a pice of lead that came out of some one , they put it in another pice of lead and carred it in there pocket for a long time . And if you would heate to get hit by that one , I will put a pitc. of a .71 cal. setting beside of a .69 cal. I have found one . They are hard to find . I will also put a pitc. of just a few of the bullets that came from Shilon and thoses are not close to all the differnt kinds . I hope it is ok to put these pitc. on here like this . if not I am sorry Good luck in all .
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Civil War Nut
    V3, V3i, 4" 6" 8" (3) 10" 12" DD super coils

Hidy j. I beleave I just found it . If you can pull it up a little , look at # 13 , it is a .69 cal. with two rings like yours , and the nose is the same .... Good luck , your friend in N .W . Tn.
    Civil War Nut
    V3, V3i, 4" 6" 8" (3) 10" 12" DD super coils

Those are some nice looking coins what a great hunt! the bullet looks civil war era to me thumbsup01