Thread: 2 center

2 center

Its easy to forget the fundamentals of things and MDing is no differnt, clean your coil cover and such. After my last post, someone said something that I had forgotten. He knew I was running ferrous sounds as I have been ever since I read a post 2 years ago. I liked it, so I never went back. While I realize it is a challenge, it also hobbles progress, so I made a change to conductive sounds.

Yup, it took some gettin used to , but I do like it. The problem with aluminum is gone and the coins really stick out like a sore thumb. I still depend on the depth gauge to hopefully determine coin age, but I'll try some shallower coins to get a grip on the site 1st.

So, I went out with a friend yesterday to 2 very large parks that we have been to before...5 hours later and nothing at all. THe trip is ~ 1 hour from home as well. Today I got out about 4:15 and went to a local school that I've been to as well. After 2 hours and 1 wheat, I left and went to another park.I only had 45 minutes of daylight left, so to work I went. i heard a nice sound, dug down and pulled a nail. Heard another lodged between a clad penny and garbage, down deep, I ran the digger and loosened the dirt in the hole several times. I was beginning to think there was nothing there as the sound had disappeared, however, the last time I heard the tone as I waved a handful of dirt in front of the coil. Out came the 1902 barber dime!.

A few minutes later and a few similar signals since, I heard another..Again near garbage and this signal too would not pinpoint.I was having trouble determining exactly where to dig, however, after about 3 minutes I made the decision. Now it's pretty dark. Again I loosened the soils several times and the signal was gone. Kept going and in my hand I had an unusually sized coin. I thought 2 cents but thought, hey, maybe it's something else. Got back to the car and mad the ID affirmative. 1864 and my 3rd one! Such a pretty coin.

Anyway, I am glad that someone replied to my post.....I can now revisit some old, local sites again!

HH Aaron
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

Re: 2 center

very nice finds,wtg.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Nice coins. Love the Barber and especially the 2 Cent piece. It is in very nice shape.
    Looks like you are on a roll now. Go get 'em.
    Congrats on these beauties.

Also, any chance we could see a bigger picture of the 2 Cent piece? I'd love to see more of the details. thumbsup01 Thank you.

Great post and two very cool finds! I love the two-cent piece! I will probably never find one in my lifetime, that's why I enjoy seeing when others find them so much.

When I bought my E-trac earlier this year I read everything I possibly could on all of the forums about the different settings. I decided that conductive was best for the type of hunting I do and I've never hunted in ferrous mode. I suppose I should try it sometime just to make sure I'm not missing something.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Great post and I understand your pain. I dug up about .37 cents in clad today, and about six pounds of trash. Wonderful coins congratulations. thumbsup01
    Oldest Coin: 1846 LC

Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer

Very nice coins !!

A Barber and a 2 center?! Heck yeah I'll post to that!! thumbsup01 lol
    I'm with Tony on this one again. Im starting to wonder if I'll ever be lucky enough to find a 2 center here in Illinois?
    Nice huntin' Aaron thumbsup01
    Congrats
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

That 2 cent coin is sweet. Very nice find. Don't discount 2TF or Multi. They both have their uses and I have my Etrac set up to easily switch between them and I often do. I will admit though that certain nails fool me in both.
    DFX, 6x10dd, 5.3, stock 950. 120mm pp. E-Trac, Garrett PP

Veteran Member

Two-center is beautiful, WTG.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Nice hunting. Those 2 centers are really beautiful coins. Congrats
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Wtg Aaron- nice details of your hunt Good luck w/re-visiting those old parks!
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

thumbsup01 thumbsup01
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

Thanks for the close up. Now I can admire it to the fullest.

Nice stuff!
    Garrett Ace 350
    Garrett ProPointer
    ---
    3 Indian Head Pennies, 16 Wheat Pennies
    1 Two Cent Piece
    2 V Nickels, 3 Buffalo Nickels, 2 War Nickels
    3 Barber Dimes, 1 Mercury Dime
    1 Barber Quarter
    1 Silver Ring

hey Aaron great looking two center they are a beautiful coin and they should be after all they're the first coin to have the motto In God We Trust congrats on it and the barber sir . it good to see you detecting and posting again .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album