Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
I must admit that I've never heard of that problem. The toggle switch completely disconnects the probe when the search coil (regardless of configuration) is in use. Here's a quote from the Sunray website: [size=2][size=2]Toggle switch shuts off coil as it turns probe on and vise versa. Coil and probe are never on at the same time.[size=2]

Given that, I suspect your 5.3 coil may be bad. My reasoning is based on the above quote and the fact that the probe is not moving when it's on the shaft. I think we've all made the mistake of replacing the probe on the shaft and had our detector go silent when we resume swinging. I always feel slightly embarrassed when I've forgotten to flip the switch back to the search coil and the probe is not responding because it's not moving.

You might try giving the nice folks at Sunray a call. The company is a mom-and-pop type of operation, and the folks there are very friendly. Their phone number is: 1-319-636-2244.
I think you're correct John. Either the switch was left on the probe setting (I've done that a million times lol) or it's a bad coil. But the probe sounds like it's functioning well if it works on the stock coil. Most of you guys are electronics guys, so you know how to elliminate causes when searching for the problem. If the probe works on one coil and not another, then it's probably the other coil at fault. Try it again Sal and make sure it's tightened good, and the switch is not on the probe setting. Let us know what happens.