Thread: First silver coin of the year.

First silver coin of the year.

Well I have just gotten back into the turf hunting recently. The Army took away all my spring hunting time, and the summer was too dang hot and dry!

Got out to the the HS practice field for some more detecting, hoping for some more jewelry today. After a couple hours, a gentleman comes up and we begin talking. He asks if I knew they had torn out the sidewalk from the front of the school. I couldn't get over there fast enough! This school was built in the 20s and rebuilt in the 30s after a fire gutted it.

When I got around to the front, sure enough, 2 sections of sidewalk are gone and they had scraped several inches of soil from part of the lawn. I was drooling at the thought of what could be there!

Well, it wasn't the hunt I had hoped for. The grounds were so full of iron that I had to greatly reduce my sensitivity, but it got me the top few inchs anyway. I think that the iron layer is from the fire and there are some really great coins if they would cut the ground down further.

It wasnt all bad. I managed a 1928 Merc and a half dozen wheats along with some clad for the hunt.

Working on the YT vid. Hope to have it up soon.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Re: First silver coin of the year.

Mercs are pretty as it is.
    They're just that much more pretty when they're coming out of your just dug hole! <:
    Congrats !
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

First silver of the year, and it's a nice one! Great early Merc, and some wheats to go with it. Looks like a terrific hunt to me!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

nice merc and wheats,good hunt.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Sounds like a return trip is in order congrats on the silver and wheat,I hear ya about a long hot summer.

Looks like a good start, I would go back for a return engagement. They may even tear out some more of the sidewalk for you. Great coins. WTG thumbsup01
    Oldest Coin: 1846 LC

Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer

Real nice hunt! The prime fall hunting season is upon so I hope you find a lot more silvers!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Nice! Glad to see you finally out hunting and posting again.
    You picked up a nice bunch here. Love the Merc and Wheat cents.
    Congrats Jason. Best of luck on the next hunt.

Nice digging. Wheats and a merc is good hunt. Congrats
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Veteran Member

Nice job man. Sure beats the hell out of clad all the time doesnt it? <:

Veteran Member

yep the summer this year was brutal . congrats on a terrific hunt .. i could use a day like that
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

Nice! I`m still working on my first silver. I have been hitting it hard this past month, and my clad count is improving. I have to listen to my detector more, and the silver will be in my next dig.
    Bob-Bristol, Wisconsin
    Minelab CTX3030__6" Smart Coil__Minelab Explorer SE Pro__Minelab Pro Find 25
    Garrett AT Pro__4-1/2" Super Sniper Coil__5" X 8" DD Coil__9" X 12" Concentric Coil__Garrett Pro Pointer
    Bounty Hunter Land Ranger__4" Gold Nugget Coil

Better than I have ever done on a sidewalk tear-out. Congrats on the silver!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Mercs are the best imho... Congrats! I tried hunting a torn up sidewalk and gave up due to the iron.
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=7171.msg83426#msg83426 date=1317260313
    Better than I have ever done on a sidewalk tear-out. Congrats on the silver!
    Yeah, I see a lot of people posting handfulls of silver from tear-outs. I have had 1 (ONE) tearout like that. Every other one was a complete waste. I keep trying them when I find them though. Dang crews work so fast that as soon as I see one, it's done before I get off work to go hit it.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Congrats on your first silver of the year . Merc's are awesome !! thumbsup01