Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first Barber Half!

My first Barber Half!

I went hunting with my friend Kevin for a few hours yesterday at this unbelievable site- just look at the pic! The grass/landscaping was so nice I was surprised I got a yes to hunt it in the first place. I just found the place last week, took advantage of the phone number on a sign in the yard (for banquet/wedding rentals). When I called a young woman (seemed like she hadn't been working there long) asked so this is a hobby, there's no charge? Well then, I guess it's okay lol Wouldn't that be nice... The way she paused and stammered I had a feeling she didn't have the authority.

Sure enough yesterday a man pulled up in a truck with piercing eyes, asked if we had permission. I said yes and he left. Then a little later a woman pulled up and stormed towards us, wanted to know my name and who I got permission from >:/ She said they have weddings there and don't want holes all over the place I told her my system and she said well whatever, she just has to dot her i's and cross her t's and told us to leave the property.

Well, luckily I had already pulled this 1909 s Barber Half!! It was about 5 deep I knew it was a half dollar and was chanting Barber, Barber, Barber when I took a peek to find out what it was. <: Kevin guessed it was a Walker (I've already found 2 Walkers, so was hoping for my first Barber). I wish I had my camera when it was still in the plug... Plus I found the 1888 V nickel and I found the 5 cent trade token there last week. Kevin found a 1941 Washington and some wheats. I found the Barber half right there in the lower right hand side of the pic.

Here's some other silver I've found in the past couple weeks From 2 different old churches I've been hitting.

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Re: My first Barber Half!

<: <: <:
    Excellent Tana! Big congrats to you on the Barber Half. I can just here you chanting &quotarber, Barber, Barber. When I dug mine... I wasn't doing a chant, but a beg. Please be a Barber, please be a Barber. lol
    The place does look very dreamy for a metal detectorist.
    At least you were able to pull some nice keepers from the time you were there. Do they book wedding there all year around or is there an end to the 'outdoor' wedding season there?
    Awesome keepers Tana... especially the half. Love the SLQ too.

Whoa girl!! That place looks just dreamy!!
    The Barber half eased the pain of having to leave I'm sure lol To bad they ran you off \:[
    Looks like you been pulling some really nice silver items here as of late
    I really, really like that silver ring! It looks BEEFY!!
    Congrats on some beautiful finds!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Nice post, to bad you were asked to leave. Congrats on the Barber, was there a happy dance involved?? <: And you're right what a beautiful site. If I chant Barber, Barber what are my chances......Nice V (semi-key?).
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger link=topic=7200.msg83369#msg83369 date=1317223460
    I really, really like that silver ring! It looks BEEFY!!
    lol Thanks! I weighed it and it's the same as 4 mercs... I admit I obsess over my silver stuff. I play with it and weigh it and store it in different ways. My friend gave me a silver jewelry box that looks like a treasure chest. I've been filling it with mercs that I buy w/my clad money. It's fun watching it fill up! I'll have to post a pic and show you.

Ahhh silver... I still have such a rush from finding that half!
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=7200.msg83370#msg83370 date=1317224780
    Congrats on the Barber, was there a happy dance involved?? <:
    I'm still doing the happy dance lol I have it in coin sleeve in my back pocket to show my mom- and whoever else will look rofl
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Wow, those are some beautiful finds, congrats on the Barber Half, still looking for one of those myself!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

thats a beauty Tana | | and a S mint mark to boot huge congrats to you
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Very nice finds Tana, I can't imagine asking you to leave a place! Well I would check back later you never know you might get back in again, if not you got your remembrance of it anyway |
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Veteran Member

Nice job Tana. Glad you got out of Dodge when you did. thumbsup01

Veteran Member

Congrats on the Barber half and all that other silver. Those Barber halfs are a fun find indeed, aren't they?
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Simply WOW! What great finds. It's great that you got a chance to do a bit of detecting on that site. Makes you wonder what's left behind, doesn't it?

Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Veteran Member

| wow , a barber half thats awesome . i bet somebody back in the day was bummed to lose that beauty. stinks to get run of doesnt it
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

Big congrats girl!!!! I've yet to get my patties on one of them! The places you hunt kill me... like hunting the poster homes of the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous!!!
    CTX 3030, Garrett Propointer
    2013 Silver count: 27
    2012 Silver count: 30
    2011 Silver count: 58
    2010 Silver count: 77

Great finds Tana especially that hard to get Barber Half . I'm Glad you were able to get some great stuff before being run off by the wicked witch of the East . thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbooty link=topic=7200.msg83457#msg83457 date=1317269804
    I'm Glad you were able to get some great stuff before being run off by the wicked witch of the East . thumbsup01
    lol Yes she was... I'm getting leather tough to this 'getting run off'. I think this is house #7 for me now. Usually it's a mix-up between an owner and real estate agent (the latter says sure that's okay). Once it was a little squeek of a voice out an open window: honey, I'm glad you found some good stuff- but I'd like to save some goodies for my brother when he comes to visit w/his detector, okay?...

Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake link=topic=7200.msg83448#msg83448 date=1317267366
    Big congrats girl!!!! I've yet to get my patties on one of them! The places you hunt kill me... like hunting the poster homes of the Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous!!!
    Thanks Brian! Actually I like old run-down houses the best. The more vacant and demolished, with vines growing through the broken windows, the better
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

Quote Originally Posted by jkress link=topic=7200.msg83367#msg83367 date=1317222437
    <: <: <:
    Excellent Tana! Big congrats to you on the Barber Half. I can just here you chanting &quotarber, Barber, Barber. When I dug mine... I wasn't doing a chant, but a beg. Please be a Barber, please be a Barber. lol
    The place does look very dreamy for a metal detectorist.
    At least you were able to pull some nice keepers from the time you were there. Do they book wedding there all year around or is there an end to the 'outdoor' wedding season there?
    Awesome keepers Tana... especially the half. Love the SLQ too.
    Thank you Joe I'm not sure about the wedding season- that woman was so grumpy and authoritative I think it would be a NO forever from her... But it's worth a try to ask later in the fall/winter. All I could get is another NO lol

Btw I love cold weather- takes a frozen ground to keep me from winter hunting. How about you?
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

congrats on the barber half and other nice finds Tana,,very good hunting.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Very nice Tana! That's a wonderful Half. You do have some very beautiful places to hunt, Just gorgeous. I can see where you dug that half from in the picture. What a mess you left! lol Just teasing Tana.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

AWESOME! What a nice lookin place to hunt!