Thread: 3 Colonial Hunts - 3 KG II's, Shield Nickel, Indian Heads, Buffalo, Silver...

3 Colonial Hunts - 3 KG II's, Shield Nickel, Indian Heads, Buffalo, Silver...

Hello all!

Well in the last 5-6 weeks I've only had 3 outtings... Life has been getting in the way of tectin...

1st hunt was with Del and Coinnut at a site that has been good to us... We are up to 12 coppers, many indians, colonial silver cufflink, seated half dime, barbers, buckels, lead ball... etc... Most of the coppers have been early to mid 1700's...

Dan (Del) landed an 1800 Draped Bust LC within 15 minutes of arrival... Aabout 30 minutes after that I nabbed this KG II @ 3 in the field...

George (Coinnut) was hot in the early on with 2 Indian Heads.. Then mid day he for a 12/20 pretty shallow that ended up being a colonial cufflink with a nice flower and a KG II in the upper part of the field...

It is so close to having a date... but its rough at best...

I habbed some lead, buttons, and D Buckles over the next 6 hours... Then 15 minutes before we called it a day... Copper # 2 popped... 12/40 12/41 @ 2

I headed back to this site the two saturdays after this... I wasn't there but about 30-40 minutes and 12/41 12/42 @ 2...

Another KG II... Looks like the last digit of the date is a 0

The next 4.5 hours were quite except for a few buttons and some lead... and as I worked my way back to the car... 12/22 12/24 and I was hoping Indian and not a shotgun shell...

This is an indian... but its sad at best :-)

and last but not least this day... I was seeking one last good target... 10 feet from the car... 12/11 12/13...

1867 Shield Nickel :-)

3rd hunt was at a state park that dates as a farm back to the mid 1600s... I din't find anything nearly that old but did manage 2 keepers in the 2 hours I was there...

12/46 12/47 @ 4-5... 1941 Silver Washington Quarter...

I have been lucky anough to dig 48 Indian Heads this year and 95% have been in amazing condition... This is one of the best...

Some nice keepers were added and I look forward to heading back to the site that yielded the 3 KG II's tomorrow...

HH ALL !!
    Paul
    2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

Re: 3 Colonial Hunts - 3 KG II's, Shield Nickel, Indian Heads, Buffalo, Silver...

you got some great finds Paul.and I realy like the IH looks to be in XF condition,nice V and silver quarter too,thats the way to do it,,
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Veteran Member

Re: 3 Colonial Hunts - 3 KG II's, Shield Nickel, Indian Heads, Buffalo, Silver...

great finds
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Man... you have access to some incredible hunting grounds.

Awesome post and great pictures. More importantly your finds are outstanding.

I just love those old coppers you guys consistently pull out of the ground.
    Congrats Paul.

Life can do that but it looks like your making the best of it . Great finds and pictures as always .

Veteran Member

Wow, nice hunt! Love the shield nickel, they don't come out of the ground every day. Hope you can get out more this fall.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Congrats on some fantastic finds, those sites are just amazing! Hope you make it out more often in the future before the dreaded freeze!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Another extrodinary outing Paul....great job!
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyguy link=topic=7221.msg83739#msg83739 date=1317511998
    Another extrodinary outing Paul....great job!
    What he said. My Indians never look like that.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I have been wondering where you've been, Paul! I have missed seeing your wonderful finds and videos. It looks like you made up for lost time on this hunt! I love the shield nickel and the coppers! The silver, IH, wheats and cool relics are all icing on the cake!

Spectacular finds, as always!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

What great variety! Congrats on KGII's Amazing at 2 & 3 deep stretcher: I have found IH's 1 deep... under pine trees in front yards...

The button on the left is so intricate, in beautiful shape. Does it have back mark? Or is that the colonial cufflink?
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Thx for all the kind words...

but at the end of that 1st hunt with George and Dan... Me and George were giving Dan some grief...

Then I said that Dan was the affirmative action part of our trio... He said what do you mean... and I said amonst us two using our E-Trac's... he was the token White's guy
    2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

Positively a great hunt, with wonderful old finds. Living in a part of the country that came along a little later in history, will not allow you to find much befor 1850. There are a few areas that you can find some early French and Spanish coins, but nothing like those wonderful coppers that you pulled up. Congratulations.
    Oldest Coin: 1846 LC

Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer

Some nice finds there, congrats on your hunting
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

hey Paul that place is just littered with keepers , i hope you did well there this past saturday with the short grass . the first king George II looks like the older variety or young head probably 1730's abd the other two look like the older head type 1740's or 50's .i'm waiting for you to hit a nice state copper or fugio there. congrats and thanks again for the invite there.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great bunch of old coins there, congrats.
    MXT300 D2,950,6x10,4x6