Thread: Ready to take the plunge!!

Ready to take the plunge!!

I got my chest waders, a new Garrett AT Pro w/waterproof headphones,and a long handle sand scoop. I`m ready to take the plunge at a popular local swimming beach, or am I? Did I forget anything? What other thing do I need for my first waist deep hunt?
    Bob-Bristol, Wisconsin
    Minelab CTX3030__6" Smart Coil__Minelab Explorer SE Pro__Minelab Pro Find 25
    Garrett AT Pro__4-1/2" Super Sniper Coil__5" X 8" DD Coil__9" X 12" Concentric Coil__Garrett Pro Pointer
    Bounty Hunter Land Ranger__4" Gold Nugget Coil

Re: Ready to take the plunge!!

chest waders are good at a freash water pond or lake as there isn't to much wave action unless there alot of boat traffic. then i would suggest a wet suit as you don't have to worry about water over taking the waders and filling up with water . i've heard of guys almost drowning because of this. some also use a floating screen behind them to dump the muck and mud into . just be careful.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I second Dan's comment about a wet suit if there is a chance that the waders can fill with water. I remember a MDer who drowned that way a few years back.

I have heard nothing but great things about the AT Pro. Looking forward to seeing what you find. |
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Thanks for the advice. Especially, the be careful. I don`t plan on pushing the waders limits. Chest waders were probably over kill. I have some big sandy slow sloping beaches to cover. I will work the shallower area now, then next summer if I like the water detecting I could go for the wet suit and deeper water. I have seen some posts that had pictures of floating screens.
    Bob-Bristol, Wisconsin
    Minelab CTX3030__6" Smart Coil__Minelab Explorer SE Pro__Minelab Pro Find 25
    Garrett AT Pro__4-1/2" Super Sniper Coil__5" X 8" DD Coil__9" X 12" Concentric Coil__Garrett Pro Pointer
    Bounty Hunter Land Ranger__4" Gold Nugget Coil

I can't swim so I will stay on dry land,but good luck on your new venture.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.