Thread: Great hunt! My 2nd large cent + silver

Great hunt! My 2nd large cent + silver

Yesterday my wife and I met another Detectorist, His name is Dave and we invited him to hunt with us in the nearby woods where we hunt most of the time. Although a lot has been pulled out of the ground in this spot, there is still plenty to find. It was great to meet another MDer from the area and talk shop.

Dave's E-trac is a nice machine and it was also fun comparing it with my Vaquero. When each of us had a good signal we would call the other over to see how the other machine read the target.

My wife preferred to hunt by herself while Dave and I walked over to a nearby hillside. Dave got off to a quick start and found a silver Rosie and Merc. I had only a wheat penny at that point and was hoping to catch up. I got a good signal and called Dave over to check it out. Both of us thought that it sounded like silver and was probably a shallow dime. After digging 5 inches or so, my propointer wasn't picking it up so I knew it had to be something larger. At 7-8 inches, we see a large coin peeking out of the dirt.
    It was an 1837 large cent! 99% of the finds in this woods are not older than 1920 so it was a big surprise!

We hunted for about 4 1/2 hours and called it a day. Dave had 4 silver dimes and several wheaties.

Along with the large cent I found a Merc, 2 war nickles, sterling silver Air Force aerial gunner wings, and 5 wheaties. After cleaning them off, the wings are really in fine condition and I love the Art Deco look to them.

My wife caught up with us later in the day and had several wheaties and a US military pin.

My finds:

Wife's Finds:

Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Golden Sabre II, Tesoro Cutlass II µMax, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro pointer
    Oldest coin, 1732 King George II Halfpenny

Re: Great hunt! My 2nd large cent + silver

Great hunting, comparing machines is a good idea. Nice LC and silvers, congrats
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Wow, great finds!!! Congrats on the old copper that lets you know that there are probably other old coins in the woods too. I love the silver wings and your wife's military pin!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Congrats on the large cent and silver.
    MXT300 D2,950,6x10,4x6

Congrats on the wonderful old large cent! That's a terrific find! It just goes to show you, you never know what's going to be down there. That mystery really adds to the enjoyment of metal detecting. I love the silver wings too!

Good job on the very successful hunt, and glad that you made a new friend.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg