Thread: Hunted a Stage Coach Stop Today

Hunted a Stage Coach Stop Today

Theola and I were invited to hunt a old farm house that we were told was a old stage coach stop. We each had a really fun hunt with some nice finds! thumbsup01 The first signal I got was a 1898 IH! <: About 2 minutes later 10 feet away I found a 1916D Buff! Right then and there I knew we were in for a fun day of metal detecting!! As I stand up I hear Ted say from across the front yard ROSIE. I said Yeah? I got a IH and a Buff lol I picked up about four more wheaties within the next hour and a half. As I was on my way to the truck to get a sip of Dew I picked up another wheat as I stand up I get a squeak and as I start to sweep to find the culprit the signal kept getting better and better Higher and higher The E-Trac was showing the target around 6 or 7 inches I was just swing over the target repeatedly just to hear that sweet sound! lol I dig down and see the silver edge of a quarter! <: Before looking at it closely I was thinking to myself This is deep enough it could be a Barber. After a closer look I see its a Standing Liberty quarter! happydance02 And finally one WITH a date!!! It's a 1927 SLQ.

Things kinda slowed down for me after that for most of the day. In the mean time Ted was having a good day too! thumbsup01 He had already found the Rosie and a Merc! Shortly after that he finds a slightly worn Buff of his own! But the find of the day came in the forum of a old foreign silver coin!
    Here's Theolas finds for the day thumbsup01

Here's some close ups of the mystery coin he found.

I also found some cool relics and such too. Here's a pic of those items lol

Before leaving I was able to find silver number 59 of the season! A 1946 Rosie thumbsup01
    It was a beautiful sunny ,70+° day full of great finds!
    Thanks for lookn' & HH everybody!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Re: Hunted a Stage Coach Stop Today

Wow, that is one fantactic day of detecting! This may sound odd, but I would almost rather find a Standing Liberty Quarter than a Barber. Especially if the SLQ is as nice as that one! Barber quarters look just like Barber dimes and halves, but the SLQ has a unique design and they don't turn up too often. (At least for me!)

Very nice silver foreign coin too! Is it Swedish or Norwegian?
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Great finds Tim, and I love the photos... that dated SLQ is beautiful! The other coins are as well. That is an incredible day.

I would say that is worth a trip back...
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

You guys did great . Big congrats on SLQ with date and rest of your finds. WTG!!! HH Mike
    Ace 250/Pro pinpointer,Totals 2012: 213 silver coins, 13 silver jewelry, 3 gold rings.

All day I was imagining of all the great stuff you guys were finding. :-> Was looking forward to your post.

You and Ted really did well at this site... very well. You gotta love when sites like this come along and then
    start producing right off the bat. So many nice finds here that it is hard to pick a favorite... so I'll pick two. The SLQ and
    especially the 12 Skilling coin. That is quite a nice one to find.

Congrats to the both of you. I hope a return trip is in order for you guys.

awsome day of hunting,great finds and some silver too,wtg.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Awesome hunt for sure, congrats on all the great finds.
    MXT300 D2,950,6x10,4x6

Veteran Member

wonderful hunt , wow a stage coach stop. bet there is more there.. good luck next time. thumbsup01
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Great finds, everyone should have a day like that. Keep up the good work!
    Bob-Bristol, Wisconsin
    Minelab CTX3030__6" Smart Coil__Minelab Explorer SE Pro__Minelab Pro Find 25
    Garrett AT Pro__4-1/2" Super Sniper Coil__5" X 8" DD Coil__9" X 12" Concentric Coil__Garrett Pro Pointer
    Bounty Hunter Land Ranger__4" Gold Nugget Coil

Wow, great finds, congrats on a some great hunting. That 12 skilling coin is awesome!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Now that's a great hunt !!! thumbsup01

hey Tim thats a great days worth of detecting right there | | a very nice amount of quality coins and a good amount of relics to , get back out there and detect it some more. big congrats
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great day of hunting with lots of keepers. Congrats on your 1st dated SLQ.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Awesome hunt wtg definately worth another trip back!!! |
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

Awesome hunt , congrats on the beautifull coins.

Those SLQs sure do catch you off gaurd and then sounds like a very neat place to hunt thumbsup01

That looks like lots of fun!
    That standing liberty is in good shape.Is the foreign coin holed for a necklace?
    There has got to be more. Go back!
    Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Golden Sabre II, Tesoro Cutlass II µMax, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro pointer
    Oldest coin, 1732 King George II Halfpenny

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=7268.msg84078#msg84078 date=1317691714
    Wow, that is one fantactic day of detecting! This may sound odd, but I would almost rather find a Standing Liberty Quarter than a Barber. Especially if the SLQ is as nice as that one! Barber quarters look just like Barber dimes and halves, but the SLQ has a unique design and they don't turn up too often. (At least for me!)

Very nice silver foreign coin too! Is it Swedish or Norwegian?
    They don't turn up to often for me either. If it's going to be a SLQ rather than a Barber at least it had a date! <:
    From what I've seen it turns out to be a coin from Norway! Of all the finds that day I told Theola. I bet that came across the frontier on a stage coach or wagon train Now thats cool! thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=7268.msg84079#msg84079 date=1317691779
    I would say that is worth a trip back...
    Quote Originally Posted by jkress link=topic=7268.msg84094#msg84094 date=1317694552
    I hope a return trip is in order for you guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsarge1 link=topic=7268.msg84148#msg84148 date=1317733459
    Awesome hunt wtg definately worth another trip back!!! |
    I'm going to try But I was invited here. And unfotunatly the guy who invited us hasn't had any luck there so....I don't know if he'll be in any big rush to get back there But! I'll be trying! You can bet on that! thumbsup01 lol

Quote Originally Posted by Spike link=topic=7268.msg84203#msg84203 date=1317772924
    Those SLQs sure do catch you off gaurd and then
    You got that right! lol It defiantly took the pressure off of me finding a silver <: lol

Quote Originally Posted by BillZ link=topic=7268.msg84248#msg84248 date=1317815165
    Is the foreign coin holed for a necklace?
    I've heard that theory. But the one I believe is closer to the truth is, the coins were holed so they could be sewn into the pockets of either a set of pants. Or into the pocket of a coat, somewhere it couldn't easily be lost. What baffles me is how is there a bur on both sides of the coin? Still a great find!

Thanks for lookin' and commenting everyone! |)
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime