Thread: An Indian at Fort Hale Park! (video added)

An Indian at Fort Hale Park! (video added)

So, Bob AKA Dirt Lizard (from the Friendly MD Forum) and I went out this morning to Fort Hale Park in New Haven to have a little hunt before lunch. We started by a massive tree which had to be about 15 feet in diameter and probably over 150 years old. We weren't there for two minutes when work crews came up and said the tree was going to be cut down! (See 1st photo)

We went across the street to another open field section and I started by what appeared to be either an old well or where a big tree might have been previously. I swung for a few minutes and hit a solid 30-32 on the Xterrra 505 I'm borrowing. It showed it to be just below the surface. I thought I was going to get another Stinkin Lincoln but I flipped over the clump of grass and this Indian Head penny popped out! I couldn't believe it. I let a hoot and raised my arms up <: Some guy under the pavilion near by just looked at me and stared. LOL!

The rest of the hunt was uneventful with nothing but old nails, bottle caps, and pull tabs. The Indian sure made my day though! BTW, I'll be making a video of the hunt and will post it soon. Thanks for looking and HAPPY HUNTING to you all!

Here's the Youtube vid: MD Hunt 10-04-11
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Metal Detector: Teknetics Omega 8000

Re: An Indian at Fort Hale Park!

huge tree i bet its closer to 200 years old , to bad they had to cut it down though , but because they shoo'd you away you got the indian out of the deal . congrats
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

That is one big tree, do you know why they were cutting it down? Congrats on the IH. I would be going back to where the tree stood and hit that area also.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Nice IH! Go back after that tree is down and look around the root ball area!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Congrats on the IH.
    MXT300 D2,950,6x10,4x6

Congrats on finding the Indian Head! Always a great coin to recover.

Good job!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

That is a VERY old tree Congrats on finding the IH!! Love finding those Like others said, there may still be coins there.... lots of dirt and roots displaced with that kind of tree.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

nice save on the IH,wtg.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Man What a shame they took that Goliath of a tree down \:[
    But like the others have said, go look were it was standing. It provided shade for many, many years!
    Who knows whats been left underneath of it!
    It all worked out in the end. You got yourself a nice IH outta the deal! lol thumbsup01
    Congrats
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime