Thread: Found Money(2K), Kept By City After Turned In

Found Money(2K), Kept By City After Turned In

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Dalla...121609364.html

You've maybe seen this already, but it reinforces my thoughts that you just keep stuff. It was also of personal interest because I used to live basically in the same spot. How can the city just keep it and not wait the year, and give it to the finder?

Now, had it been a ring with initials, yea, I'd search the owner. Give it to the cops,,,no way. martin

Re: Found Money(2K), Kept By City After Turned In

I agree, finders keepers, losers weepers. I would do as you would. Return what you can, but we don`t need to get the government involved. They probably want you to pay taxes on your finds. They just screw things up anyway. I wish I had that problem, I never find anything.
    Bob-Bristol, Wisconsin
    Minelab CTX3030__6" Smart Coil__Minelab Explorer SE Pro__Minelab Pro Find 25
    Garrett AT Pro__4-1/2" Super Sniper Coil__5" X 8" DD Coil__9" X 12" Concentric Coil__Garrett Pro Pointer
    Bounty Hunter Land Ranger__4" Gold Nugget Coil

Yea, I've found a wallet or two with money and looked for identification, called a scribbled down phone number from the find, and called to return it. I will not give the local government anything, especially after seeing things like this. I see zero reason why that girl shouldn't expect that money after a waiting period. In my opinion, Plano ripped that girl off. I'll take care of #1. martin

Shame on this!

[CENSORED] as I became very political! >:#

Nice way to repay the honesty of a young person. All their policy will do is keep people from turning in finds, they will just keep them.
    Oldest Coin: 1846 LC

Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer

its a very unfortunate ending this young lady finds a great amout of cash and when her own family could really use it , she still does the right thing and turns it in to the authorities. that alone says a great amount about the girl and here upbringing with her parents , then the local governmental authorities decides they could use it more or put it to better to use. thats political Bureaucracy at its best >:# they should be ashamed of themselves we need more role models like this youg lady .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I'm sure we all have an opinion here... but it would be only that a personal decision based on our core values and morality...

I would turn it in as I would only be thinking about the people that lost it and what it would mean to ANYONE to lost that kind of $$$... Going to the General Fund would not be sure popular either... but we all need Schools, someone to maintain the streets, police, fire, etc...

It wasn't mine to begin with and I would just remind myself... someone dropped it and lost it... perhaps my neighbor, someones grandmother... etc...

Just my humble thoughts...

Paul
    2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

Quote Originally Posted by FooserPaul link=topic=7323.msg84961#msg84961 date=1318203387
    It wasn't mine to begin with and I would just remind myself... someone dropped it and lost it... perhaps my neighbor, someones grandmother... etc...
    Boy are you in the wrong hobby..

I will go the exact opposite and say I don't know what bothers me more, the fact that the city kept the money, or the fact that she turned it in to begin with. She expected to get it back if nobody claimed it and the city never expected her to turn it in. Ask yourself one question. What kind of people lose 2K and not report it hoping to get it back?
    Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - Deus

The general fund = Mayors pocket. There all a bunch of lying theifs
    2011 Silver count 30 first year detecting

This kind of takes on a whole new meaning to Section 9 of the US Constition; No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed. We all know what to expect now. Just my thoughts.
    Digger of dirt and proud of it

Love the girls actions.. Iv'e returned wallets. phones. jewelery..etc.. never once got anything in return, a few times, not even a thank you..FKLW rules apply there..
    Someday, I wanna be a vampire

have ya ever heard of an asian return lost money? Me either rofl