Thread: 11 @ 1807 , 8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

11 @ 1807 , 8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

WOW, where do I start. Above are pictures of 11, 1807 , 8 Reale counterfeit cache I found this morning.

After meeting Dan and George at 6 am we headed to the first hole.

It was still dark when we arrived so we hung around for a short time before we headed out. George was working the perimeter of the hole and got the first find, which was a Barber dime, I don't recall year. After a couple hours I get a good hit about three inches down and it turns out to be an 1881 IH.

Both Dan and George found an old brass shotgun hull, I never seen one before and here they both found one. They both had some other finds which they will tell you about.

They decided to move to another back-up hole that they have some good luck at in the past.

They both ventured off and I started behind the hole and found an old button. As I worked away from the hole and toward a stone wall I could see that there was another wall that ran parallel and looked like a road, but it wasn't. Dan thought it was somethong for livestock and I agree.

Anyway, as I went over the wall there was a huge flat rock that was different then the other rocks in the wall and on the other side there was an opening with another rock about 4-5 away fron the flat rock.

I ran my 5.3 coil over the opening and WOW, I get a 72-76 blast and thought it must be trash. My shovel was just narrow enough to get into the opening to remove about 4 of dirt and out comes this round coin. I haven't a clue what it is but when I ran my coil over again the same thing. This continued for about 6 coins, now I'm down to deep to use my shovel so I start to remove the rock that were in front of the big flat rock.

With nothing in my way I recover five more coins and still don't know what I have. My heart is racing as I work back up the wall when I spot Dan. I give him a yell and he heads over to me. I remove the 11 coins in my bag and place them on the wall. It takes Dan a total of about 30 seconds to say, I think you found a cache of 8 Reale counterfeit coins here.

As we were dicussing my find, George comes around the corner and Dan tells him that I found a cache of 11, 8 Reale coins, yeah right was his reply. They were both genuinely happy for me and as thrilled as I was, maybe more. Being a rookie, I really didn't realize how rare a find this is/was.

Sorry for being so long winded but I wanted you to get a feel for how this all came together, I have both Dan and George to thank for this happening and hope I can repay them tenfold with a good spot to run their coils over.

MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Re: 11 @ 1807 , 8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Wow!

That is just incredible!!

Great finds, and that is certainly an understatement! I would have been on the ground in a dead faint.

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Great strory and excellent finds. Those coins are on my wish list.
    Joe Andresen

Awesome! Counterfeit or not they are old and tell a story. What do you think they are made out of, pewter or lead or something? I'm glad you got to hunt with Dan and George, thanks for the great post and terrific story!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Frank , Frank , Frank .... what can i say you kicked George's and my butt with authority today as you really found a few extremely hard to do things
    No.1 you found a cache ( a purposely hidden stash of coins )
    No.2 just finding an 8 reale counterfiet coin is rare ( and you found 11 counterfiet coins )

what a great day you had even though the finds aren't worth much it is still an amazing find to George and i and those counterfiets could of easily been real coins under the same circumstances . your cache gives me alot of faith that many more are out there waiting to be found . my sincerest congrats to you Frank |) it was alot of fun Sir.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=7525.msg86623#msg86623 date=1319333134
    Awesome! Counterfeit or not they are old and tell a story. What do you think they are made out of, pewter or lead or something? I'm glad you got to hunt with Dan and George, thanks for the great post and terrific story!
    Tony they are made of pewter and usually doesn't hold up very well , depending on the mixture amounts (tin ,zinc and lead)
    hey heres a pictures of what the counterfieter's tried to make them look like , they are pretty close .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Dan/George, You still have a chance to find one of these 8 Reale counterfeit coins. If you look at the picture Dan took of the coins on the wall there's 12. That means yours truely lost one of after taking them in and out of his pocket a dozen times looking at them. >:{
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

Quote Originally Posted by fsa46 link=topic=7525.msg86636#msg86636 date=1319333961
    Dan/George, You still have a chance to find one of these 8 Reale counterfeit coins. If you look at the picture Dan took of the coins on the wall there's 12. That means yours truely lost one of after taking them in and out of his pocket a dozen times looking at them. >:{
    Frank are you sure its not one that was broken in half and your seeing the two pieces ?? if not you definately have my permission to go back anytime and find it again . George must of rubbed off on you as he is constantly losing things
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Veteran Member

Re: 12 @ 1807 , 8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

I think George planted them to make a newbie feel good Notice he was conveniently at the perimeter while this was going down Seriously tho, awesome hunt that you will remember forever.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Re: 12 @ 1807 , 8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

george is constently losing things? his mind after he saw those babies. congrats willy

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=7525.msg86638#msg86638 date=1319334572
    Frank are you sure its not one that was broken in half and your seeing the two pieces ?? if not you definately have my permission to go back anytime and find it again . George must of rubbed off on you as he is constantly losing things
    You're right Dan, what I was looking at was a part of the wall on the far right that appeared round in the pile of coins. 8/

I don't need any help from George on losing things ... don't you recall when we got back to the truck, either you or Geogre said, is this your knife on the ground. It fell out of my pocket when I removed the IH from my pocket.

I agree, even without being real, that was was an awesome find! You have to wonder whether the hider was the one making them, knew they were fakes, or if he was just hiding away some rainy-day money that he never knew were fakes.

Congrats on the great hunt!
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

Now that's something you don't find everyday , talk about an unreal !!! (pun intended) lol . Nice going and great pictures . Great of Dan and George to take you under their wing like that . thumbsup01 thumbsup01 Congrats to all on your finds and a very memorable trip .

What a motley crew! Great pic of the 3 of you Awesome find Frank!!!! Real or not, you're heart must have been in overload. Sounds like you all had a fun time. Hunting with friends is great
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Amazing story!!! What a great thrill that was stretcher: stretcher: stretcher:
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Fantastic find. That one hole would make my year . I am surprised that it took Dan all of 30 seconds to confirm that they were 8 reals and counterfeit. You do the same thing I do, find something great, put it in the pouch, do some swinging, pull it out of the pouch, look at it again, put it back in the pouch. I do that until I get into the car to go home. Huge Congrats
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

awsome find and story,good job.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Now this is an interesting post.
    Great job finding the cache. Even though the coins are counterfeit... still an awesome find.
    Sure wish those coins could talk. I'd love to hear the story.
    A big congrats to you. <:

I know this post is over three years old, but would the gentleman that contacted me from New York, ( that does research on these ) please get in touch with me. A friend knows someone that has found a 8 reale plate and would like to get some information on it. "Thank You".