Thread: Today's adventure and a little more .

Today's adventure and a little more .

In the quest to find the elusive silver I've been driving to my old neighborhood and some of it's nearby areas the last few weeks .
    Not the best of places to be hunting in these or even good economic times .Today I managed to get in a 3hr. hunt at an old school I attended briefly in the fifties . before I caught the attention of some Gangsta's driving by .I know when it's time to leave and I did fast .I will, at these type of places keep my car very close by . Similar thing like this happened last week . Young punks have scouts out walking and if they spot opportunity they get on their cell phones and before long the troops show up . The Scouts are easy to spot coming as are the troops .The Troops or Thugs come in at the same time from as many angles as they can . Anyway enough of that on with the finds ,I hunted this spot several years ago and only found a little clad so I kind of new what would be an ideal rig for this spot . I used a White's M6 with a 5.3 coil and did ok .Besides some zincs and other junk I found
    a 45'Merc ,60D Roosie ,5wheats 36D,39S,45S,48Sanad a?? . Also $1.03 in clad ,a cool paperweight from ? a play 10C money coin , 2 marbles,a padlock a part of an old padlock and a common local present day theater game token ( not pictured).. Also included are picture's of my best 2 finds from last week a 1941 silver quarter and a very old and crusty San Francisco Dept. Public works badge #358 . Other than the stuff shown here I have only found a 54D Roosie , a few wheats and 3 junk earrings in tot lots (two of the earrings are matching and were found within 2 weeks of each other . Except for todays finds most of my other finds where made with a Standard T2 .I've been extremely busy lately and it has been cutting into my detecting and posting time . Hopefully things lighten up a bit soon Thanks for looking . thumbsup01

Attached Images Attached Images        

Re: Today's adventure and a little more .

Sorry to hear about the thugs. It is disheartening to see one's old neighborhood fall into decline. At least you were able to make some great finds in your time there! That paperweight is really interesting! I love the old badge thingy too, and of course silver is always nice!

Congrats on the abbreviated but very successful hunt!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Jeez Sheik , i'm glad you know when to get out of there . would hate to see you become a statistic my friend congrats on the silver but i'm with Tony i really love the badge any idea as to how old it goes back

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=7530.msg86656#msg86656 date=1319338801
    Jeez Sheik , i'm glad you know when to get out of there . would hate to see you become a statistic my friend congrats on the silver but i'm with Tony i really love the badge any idea as to how old it goes back

Dan
    I haven't checked it out yet Dan but I'm thinking at least the 1930's . That park has given out a few Seateds and Barbers to a few people I know (unfortunately not to me ).The badge was 5 inches down near a very old tree and the dirt was just crusted on ,a real bummer to get it as readable as it is .The oval piece that holds the pin on the back came off when I was washing it (I just set it on for the picture) .

Veteran Member

Glad you got some nice keepers out of that site. Sounds like a very difficult site to work.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Jeez Sheik, very nice finds. You’re braver than I am.
    There is something to be said about hunting by yourself in the quiet woods working a cellar hole
    on a sunny day. I hate looking over my shoulder all the time but I guess it’s just the nature of our
    hobby sometimes. Anyway, congrats on the nice finds and I’m glad you got out of harms way in time.
    Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer

Nice finds Shiek Be careful out there.
    Having fun is what it is all about!

We hunt in groups wehen I make it to Chicago. It makes you look over your shoulder alot when you are in a bad neighborhood. Nice finds Steve!
    Joe Andresen

I like the badge and paperweight. And of course, silver isn't bad either

There are so many areas I want to detect but am just too scared to go there alone. You just never know.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Nice hunting and glad to see that you are aware of your surroundings. Congrats on all your finds
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Congrats on your finds and on your bravery. | Like Angie, there are so many places I'd like to hunt 'downtown'. Esp scary being a woman... The reputation of these places makes you think they prob have never been hunted either, which makes going there even more desirable!
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

nice silver and neat finds,good job,
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.