Thread: Silver From The Past - Return To "Old Main"

Silver From The Past - Return To "Old Main"

My last hunt in Fort Collins was over the Thanksgiving Day weekend. I pulled a nice 2 Cent piece from a site that I have done some fascinating research on.

See - History And Tragedy - The Treasure Of &quotld Main http://www.americandetectorist.com/f...hp?topic=463.0

It was a great way to end the year. I did get a brief reprise at Christmas time when I ventured out into the cold to find a sunny hillside in western Colorado. That little hunt produced a little Silver and a welcome chance to Swing the V3. This winter has been a snowy one. We have recieved over 50 of snow and many nights in sub-zero temperatures. The weather has warmed and the snows have melted quickly. The ground for the most part is still frozen solid. I took a drive Saturday and tested clear areas in the local parks. Frozen solid! I went back to the location of Old Main and to my surprise there was a small area of digable ground in between the snow and frozen ground. I knew that come Sunday I would return to Old Main for a hunt. The area was small, but very welcome in my frozen world. I took this picture at the end of the Day that showed My hunt area...

Take note of the two spruce trees. One very old, and one modern day. They would both play a roll in today's hunt. I started griding the area slowly in a Angel Like 8) style. Carefully cross checking potential hits at 90 degrees it was not long before the sound of Silver pierced the quiet of my hunt...

A nice little Rosie. Note the rusty little nail in the picture. I dug it first and then rescanned the hole to find the the Silver dime. Here is a shot of the dig site.

Two hours later without a good signal, the sweet sound of Silver graced my headphones. I dug down and saw a small Silver coin with the words "One Dime". I thought I had a Barber, but flipping the coin over revealed a wonderful surprise.

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...ent=Seated.flv

Here is a close up of my first Seated Silver Dime.

1888 S - She is well worn, but I will gladly take it. This old of silver is not common in Fort Collins or Colorado for that matter. Here is a shot of the dig site.

The D2 coil is going to be a fun coil to learn. I am looking forward to learning it's secrets with the help of my friends here at American Detectorist. What a way to start out the year!

Keep Swing'in
    Jack
    Last edited by CyberSage; 07-05-2014 at 10:31 PM.
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Re: Silver From The Past - Return To ":daydream:ld Main

Nice Seated!!! She's a little worn but probably dropped around the teens. Great dime. Congrats on your first Seated Dime. That V3 is starting to click real good now. It's always an eye opener when you get to detect behind yourself and you find good things lol I've done it tons of times This opens up a lot of new areas to re-do in the Spring.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Great job with the D2, nice Seated . Looks like you have the D2 running better thumbsup01. How was the noise and target hits sounding??
    White's Spectra V3i "update", MXT, Prizm V, and Sun Ray Invader DX-1.
    Coils: stock 950 on MXT; 10" DD, Super 12, 950 Eclipse, and 4x6 DD Eclipse Shooter for the V3.

"The only person who never made a mistake never did anything!!"

nice silver thumbsup01 liked the video also
    E-Trac,F75

Quote Originally Posted by xzlr8n View Post
    Great job with the D2, nice Seated . Looks like you have the D2 running better thumbsup01. How was the noise and target hits sounding??
    Noise is completely under control. The seated was a very obvious hit. I am using a new program however. I will share it in the V3 thread.

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Great finds. I lived in westminister Co for about 9 years but did not hunt at the time. I have been to fort collins several times and have wished that I had hunted while there. Good job.
    Vision, DX-1

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

yo C

From the land of the Bluenose.....well me son at least a pix axe was not needed. Nice chuck of silver and I imagine you, like the rest of us are waiting with baited breath for the spring!

All one can do this time of year here is to work a ton of over time so that winter trips to warmer areas can be made!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!

hey Jack huge congrats thumbsup01 thumbsup01 on the seated dime and a smint mark to. very nice video , that other large hard wood tree in the video looks to be at least a 100 years or more to.glad the d2 coil is working out for ya .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Way to go!! Those are some great looking silvers, especially nice for braving the weather and ground conditions to get them.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

That is a sweet looking seated dime! That lady liberty must have had you smiling when you saw her image on the coin. I love the contrast with the ground too. It is a great way to start out the year.

Awesome Jack!!! I'm still waiting for my first seated coin and I'm in an area old enough to produce themthinkingabout: Sweet find buddy!
    CTX 3030, Garrett Propointer
    2013 Silver count: 27
    2012 Silver count: 30
    2011 Silver count: 58
    2010 Silver count: 77

I can't believe you are digging up seated dimes in the stark frozen Colorado dead of winter! thumbsup01

Congrats on the seated! I love the photo of it coming out of the ground. Great find!!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

WTG Jack! I'm like Beefcake and still looking for my first one as well. I know they are here as Too_Pointer found one last year. Big congrats on your silver finds. thumbsup01
    Minelab ETrac,Whites BH-ID, Fisher F2, Vibraprobe PP,Bullseye II PP.

You folks are great! I am lucky to have such a great place to share my finds. Thank you for the nice pat on the back. I am still walking around all excited. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to hunt such a historic place. I am sure I will be spending a lot of time there in the near future. Another thing that makes this especially sweet is I really enjoyed the research and the history. Thanks again friends.

Keep Swing'in
    Jack

Congratulations Jack... real nice find and a great site to hunt. RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector

A BIG congrats to ya Jack !!! thumbsup01
    I know the feeling ,I found my first seated this fall.
    Another cool video...love it
    Good to see ya again!
    Congrats again
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Sweet little seated.Just never know about those iffy signals,the nail tried to trick you away from that Rosie.
    For every relic that rots away........a piece of history is lost.

Yay- wtg! I enjoyed your video

btw I lived in Boulder, Goldhill, Gunnison and Crested Butte in the early 90's. Ah Colorado I was a campjack for a hunting outfitter- Rendezvous Outfitters. I think I saw somewhere you're a hunter?
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

*Whistle* only been here for not even an hour, and seeing some silver already. Nice Seated! Im jealous......
    Garrett ACE 250 - Whites Bullseye - 9 x 12" Coil