Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Researching......

Re: Researching......

Yeah, that's why we were skimming the fields in that section today. We looked at the area on some very old maps but were looking for the original house. We weren't paying attention to what else was on the map because we were focussed on the old original house, which is the one we were at today, not the old farm built in 1831... the old house predates that.

It was important to gain the trust of the landowner, though, so he understood we have ethics and morals. Yes, we're there to find things... no doubt about that. We don't hide that fact at all. But we ARE people and so are THEY ... And God knows if we happen upon a mason jar with gold and silver coins (never in our lifetime is that gonna happen) we're gonna tell the owners. Joe even spewed diarrhea of the mouth today and told the father, If we find a bunch of gold coins we'll give ya one! .... and while he was kidding, the father replied, All I want is enough to get to the store. I need to go to the store and get some supplies, so if you find enough for that, I'm good. There is soooo much more to the conversations that I've left out because the post is boring enough as it is. but the dialogue is important. No one should fake who they are with the landowners. If you're out for gold and they ask, tell them.... make a finder's fee agreement or something. Don't hide who you are or what you're after. People respect that.

Joe and I ARE who we are, and we ARE who we portray in our posts. We're people and we know the hardships of life around here. I was a farmer's daughter, grew up on a farm and started working on a farm when I was 14. I can associate with that, which is why I do most of the talking. Joe's a city boy, rough and tumble, but he also knows the hardships of life around here and can associate with that. Granted, he follows my lead a lot. He didn't like the dog's hair standing up on her back when we drove up, and he warned me she wasn't friendly, but I told him she liked me.

Anyway, we're gonna look up some more maps and deduce where buildings were when... my guess is that when the fourth descendant generation (the great-grandfather of the guy I know, and the grandfather of the guy we talked to today) bought out all the other farms, he eliminated them back then, which would have been the late 1700s.... finding those old cellar holes might be difficult today because it appears they used those holes as dump sites through the years. I'm sure the father, who we talked to today, can tell us all of that.

The most important aspect at this point is getting the family used to seeing us around. After all, there are 3 generations still living there and the newest generation is on its way if it doesn't exist already. The next step is meeting/greeting the eldest of the family... the ones living in the newest farm house, built in 1831. I'd LOVE to hear their stories and spend some time on their lawn. Patience. and if we DO get that far and find some old piece of jewelry, you KNOW we'll have pics but will turn it over to the family. Why not keep it? Because it's not us. And we'd never sell it. It would have more meaning to use than any cash value, but imagine what it would mean to that family if it meant that much to us....

Hey Donna, Sorry about the choice of words on my last post. Didn't mean to make it sound like you were trying to pull one over on them. I know that is not you and Joe. Slick was not the what I actually meant. I should have said smart. Sometimes when you are asking for permission and there is a null in the conversation, you need to keep talking. That is what you did and it's not that the farmer wasn't going to give you permission, he just didn't say it yet. So it was the smart thing to do and also the right thing to get to know him. I have no doubt that you two would give them anything sentimental or valuable. From what you said, they need it. I changed the wording around in my last post to say what I meant to say
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I didn't take it like that.... I didn't think you were saying we were trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes....
    but it brought to light how some people might think that or even think we were trying to do that.
    So, I felt the need to clarify.

Correlating... or relating... to the landowner is important if you want access. Find the commonality and work from there.
    That's what this string is really all about. Just be the person before you are the detectorist. You'll learn more in the process as well.

Both Krom and I have tomorrow off from work.
    It's supposed to be crappy weather for the most part~ raining in the morning, cloudy all day with chances of showers for the afternoon.
    But if it clears enough for us to chance it we'll be going here. I'm not wasting any time. I'm beelining it for the area across the street
    from the farm built in 1831. I'd welcome a visit from the eldest family member and prolly chat with him in the rain if he'd be willing.
    He can tell us sooooo much.

I'm ready.... weather ~ please let us go out and play!

Uncle Kracker - Smile [Lyrics]