Thread: What happened to the detectorists code of ethics?

What happened to the detectorists code of ethics?

>:# Recently I asked a question is anyone out there detecting, because I had not seen one other detectorist. After I made the post I ran into someone wading and detecting the shore of Lake Michigan. I got to talk t him, and he seemed like a nice guy. Today I did not see anyone detecting, but I did see signs of someone detecting. Holes that had not been back filled, and holes that looked like they had removed a shovel full of dirt. We all screw up a hole now and then, but it looked like that happened with every hole they dug. Not that I`m a pro detectorist, but this person doesn`t know what their detector is saying. I found a clad quarter within one foot of a hole they had dug. Some of the old digs I checked with my detector, and found a strong target. They sounded like big iron to me. This park has some big plumbing running through it. I have dug some myself, and have found buried shut off valves or what ever. People like this are going to ruin it for me. If you read this post, and are detecting parks in Kenosha, Wisconsin clean up you act. I don`t want to get blamed for your handy work. You will be the first to complain if we get band from the parks. Sorry about the rant, but this irrigates me. I didn`t misspell irritate.
    Bob-Bristol, Wisconsin
    Minelab CTX3030__6" Smart Coil__Minelab Explorer SE Pro__Minelab Pro Find 25
    Garrett AT Pro__4-1/2" Super Sniper Coil__5" X 8" DD Coil__9" X 12" Concentric Coil__Garrett Pro Pointer
    Bounty Hunter Land Ranger__4" Gold Nugget Coil

Re: What happened to the detectorists code of ethics?

I can relate to your frustration 396nova. It is discouraging the mess some detectorists leave. I've actually seen holes
    where it was obvious they just put the plug back in upside down with plenty of the dirt left outside. crying01

I fix anything I come across as less than how I would do it. Like you, I don't want to get a park shut down because
    of the few careless people out there.

On one particular occasion at the 'go to park' close to my home this summer, I observed a brand new set of less than ideal back fills. The park workers here usually make a point to come up and chit chat when they see me. I asked if they had noticed any new detectorists recently because some of the holes they were making needed fixing. The worker said yes, there was somebody new here the last weekend.

This communication at least lets the park personnel know that not all detectorists are created equal and in fact some will go out of their way to fix what others have left behind.

This summer at my favorite spot I saw SHOVEL plugs flopped over next to unfilled holes with the dug cans laying tight next to the holes. With idiots like that roaming all over the place, I don't blame parks if they want to ban detecting. I am all for having to get a permit, take a little test, or sign an agreement to specific guidelines. Fine and confiscate the perpetrators! I guess I am glad I did not actually see who was doing it. Chances are these days I would have been the one who got a visit from the authorities...
    Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - Deus

I have also seen signs of sloppy detecting and I agree with the comments already posted. I also think it may be a good indication of a person's lack of experience.

I have no idea of the area you are in, but is it possible someone was looking for clams if it was along the lake? I've seen plenty of holes from clam diggers on the beach.

Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

I hunted an old school recently that looked like the moon, there were so many unfilled craters. I took to time to repair as many as I could find. I also recovered coins nearby these unfilled holes. I thought someone had just got a metal detector, had no experience and not read nor researched anything about what to do or not do when in the field. Ignorance can be dangerous. I believe, thankfully, that these people have no success and put away their equipment. It's just too much work and takes time and patience to learn their machine. I've found no other areas like that one. I believe these people are few and far in between. However, it takes only one to mess things up for the rest of us. Personally, I talk to anyone that comes up to me and answer their questions. I found many are concerned we are tearing things up. All you can do is all you can do and it's good enough.
    Digger of dirt and proud of it

i have notice the new detecting kids on the block wen they purchace the detectors ( they dont have a clue or the dealer where thy purchace the detector give them some idea on what to do
    wher they can or cant hunt. all they tell me is they just look at the tv and this comercial for metal detectors just jump out.. and how much gold and money they can(( find))) well here we are !(NOT A CLUE)
    Ok Kids class is on somtimes they tell me ok i dint know ((Hummm)) well know you do
    Boy this is like work
    you tell them about the code of ethics? and they look at you like you are nuts jejejeje
    by they way this kids are from 20s to 100s so i guess that is why are code wen to the hole!!
    just my own 2 pennys worth (( No Ofence to the dealers on this forum))
    The Best Beach Hunters Dig all Targets
    Silver Seekeers, FMDAC, The Geritol Metal Detecting Gang

...and another thing >:/ ( :-) ) ...somebody on another forum posted that he was denied permission to hunt, then went in under cover of darkness and found a nice coin. 70 people said attaboy and then they put it up ON THE BANNER. Not only are some people ignoring our ethics but some forums are contributing to the erosion. Not this one...thankfully
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

It is an unfortunate fact that such continues to take place. I have personally seen individuals employ similar digging habits. It is is frustrating. The worse I witnessed was an individual digging up large plugs at a soccer field and placing them beside the holes. There were 'craters' all over the place, with large sods on the field. When I brought it to his attention he gave the lame excuse that he was using them to help him determine what part of the field he had already detected. Had the park caretakers seen that mess they would no doubt have thrown us out of that park. I was busy covering the holes when he left in a hurry. >:{ He definitely knew that he was in the wrong.

With places like Academy and Gander Mountain selling detectors and the online websites----most of the newbies don't get any instruction on how to dig or telling them to cover up all holes dug.

Robbie
    author of "Find More Silver Coinshooting Parks and Schools" by Robbie Morin
    contributor to- Camp Logan: Houston, Texas 1917-1919-by Louis Aulbach, Linda Gorski and Robbie Morin

Maybe it's just me, but I don't really believe that being new to the hobby is an excuse for such. Why is it necessary to teach people to respect others' property? People should not have to be told not to dig craters and leave trash all over the place. Just my honest opinion. Ethics are born, not made.

I am a stickler for adhering to rules, asking for permission, and being honorable. No find that is known to have resulted from sneaking onto forbidden property will ever make this banner, not as long as the admins and mods here are still breathing. No one would allow it.

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

The only good thing about those folks that dig the big holes and then leave them unfilled is they probably lose interest in the hobby pretty quickly because the silver and gold isn't jumping out of the ground for them.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

It only takes a few to ruin it for all! 8/
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.