Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairgrounds with Ill Digger = Pile of Old Coins

Fairgrounds with Ill Digger = Pile of Old Coins

We didn't think we were going to be able to make it happen, but somehow the stars aligned and me and Tim were able to cobble together a hunt today at an old fairgrounds that was established in the 1870s. The site was a little over 2 hours away for me, so I hit the road at about 5:45 this morning and arrived at 8:05 a.m.

Tim showed up at 8:30 and it was a pleasure to finally meet Captain Coinspill! After brief introductions and some chit-chat we fired up the E-Tracs and started swinging away. The older coins were hiding at first, and I think that Tim was afraid that I drove all that way for nothing. However, after about 45 minutes or so I finally found a couple wheat cents, and then my first silver, a 1942 Merc. No Silverless Drive Home of Shame for me today!

This site ended up being wheatie heaven for me. I found 22 of them by the end of the day, my second highest daily total of the year. (My record this year is 37 in one day.) Tim had to leave at 3:30 to attend a Thanksgiving-like dinner, so he is probably in a food coma right now.

After Tim left I continued to hunt and found two more Mercs, an 1896 Indian Head, and an old bus token from Aurora, IL. The token rang up just like a nickel. All-in-all it was a very enjoyable day for me! It was nice getting to meet Tim finally, and it was very nice of him to invite me to hunt this site with him! I hope we can do it again soon!

Name:  Pile-1105.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  57.5 KBName:  Display-1105.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  56.9 KBName:  Display-1105-2.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  59.6 KBName:  Indian.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  31.6 KBName:  Mercs.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  36.8 KBName:  Token-Back.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  35.4 KB
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 09-17-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Re: Fairgrounds with Ill Digger = Pile of Old Coins

it is great to meet a fellow hobbyist that you talked to for a while ,huh. you had a very nice hunt Tony | | that indian is a sweet one too. congrats on it and the mercs
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Congrats on the silver,IH and wheats . You guys had great time and found some nice coins too. That token is very cool, its from town where I live now . Good luck and HH. Mike
    Ace 250/Pro pinpointer,Totals 2012: 213 silver coins, 13 silver jewelry, 3 gold rings.

Veteran Member

Looks like a great spot. Surely there is a lot more silver there -- congrats!
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Awesome coinage Tony. Looks like the targets there kept you very busy.
    Glad to hear you guy were able to meet up for a hunt. Three silvers, an nice IH, a pile of wheats and
    and a bonus token would keep me smiling the whole way home.
    You've been having some great hunts lately... keep the streak alive.

Sounds like it was a great hunt with a lot of great finds. Thanks for sharing. More HH
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Wow, some great old coins Congratulations! Great that you two were able to get together thumbsup01
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Man, Tony, you really went to town in that hunt. If you were not smiling during that hunt, then you need to have your pulse checked. lol Sweet digs.

Nice pile of oldies, love the bus token. It was worth the 2 hour drive
    Whites M6, Eclipse 6X10 DD, Sunray DX-1

congrats Tony! If you get back there, don't forget to check the livestock pens, you'd be surprised how much silver may be hidden in those pens.. I've found several in them at our fairgrounds...

Equipment: Garrett AT Pro

talk about dedication, driving two hours to the site is quite impressive in itself. That site is very productive and those coins are well worth it .

Nice haul of coins Tony! I SO wish I could have met up you guys. My 8-hour hunt here STUNK to high heaven >:\ I found tons of clad and toy cars. Over 120 coins I dug and not one silver. The 14 wheaties I did find seem very lonely without a silver friend or two. That IH you found sure looks nice! Maybe I can get up there next weekend to hunt that park we talked about? Looks like the weather may hold out another week or so before it gets too cold. Bets wishes and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Great job on your hunt Tony!! Fantastic finds!
    Joe Andresen

Awesome hunt Tony !! Looks like you guys had a great time . |

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=7707.msg88334#msg88334 date=1320547671
    We didn't think we were going to be able to make it happen, but somehow the stars aligned and me and Tim were able to cobble together a hunt today at an old fairgrounds that was established in the 1870s. The site was a little over 2 hours away for me, so I hit the road at about 5:45 this morning and arrived at 8:05 a.m.

Tim showed up at 8:30
    Sorry I was late Plus the stop at the gas station didn't speed things up any lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=7707.msg88334#msg88334 date=1320547671
    and it was a pleasure to finally meet Captain Coinspill!
    <} Hey! I like that! lol

Yeah! It was good to meet you too Tony! It's was cool of you to make the trip on such short notice. You were right. I was defiantly getting a little worried . I didn't what either one of us going home silverless \ Or at least with something cool! But we made it happen anyway didn't we! thumbsup01 It worked out good! thumbsup01 You were also correct about me being in a turkey and gravy induced coma about that time! lol
    You even did better after I left! I'm glad to see you had a good hunt! And now I know it's worth going back lol
    I dig the bus fair token too! Thats cool!
    Congrats on a great hunt!

I'd be honored to hunt with you again anytime!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Nice finds Tony, thats alot of good digging! The bus token is way cool Congrats on the silver |

Nice going Tony. The IH's and Merc's look great. Any Key date Wheaties ?
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now

Tony, sounds like you had a great time. Silvers, a pile of wheats a real nice token and that IH looks preety good to. Congrats on a great hunt.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

very good hunt Tony,and nice finds,merc's wheats and an IH,great day.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Candidate Member

thumbsup01Awesome finds, thanks for sharing. |