Thread: 300 yr old home hunt

300 yr old home hunt

Another activity that my wife and I like to do together is camp in our home built teardrop camper. We belong to a group of teardrop campers and get together a few times a year to camp and socialize. A few weeks ago during the last camp out of the year, we were having a nice conversation with another couple. They mentioned that they lived in a 300 year old house just outside of Philadelphia. Of course we asked them if they had considered metal detecting their yard. They hadn't but found it interesting and said we were more than welcome to come by for a weekend and scan around. They also had several neighbors in old homes who they thought would be open to the idea.

Well, this past weekend we drove up to Philly and stayed with our new friends. Sunday we were going to a Steeplechase so Saturday was the day to hunt. The husband went out with us and the wife stayed at home to tend to other things. I quickly showed him how to use my spare Tesoro and after some time searching their yard, which it turns out was quite tiny, he suggested that we visit a neighbor who had given us permission. That yard was huge! it had a barn and remains of a carriage house and also a spring house.

Excited, we got started right away. The homeowners teenage son was also interested and came out. He shared the extra Tesoro with our friend. After about an hour my friend started jumping up and down saying he found a ring!
    It turned out to be a 14K gold ring with a copper inlay down the center. I had just told him when we started about all the stories on this forum of longtime MDer's lending their spare to a novice and getting owned. lol

We had some good finds although nothing appears to be pre-1900. I was happy to find my first and second Indian head pennies along with my second Standing Liberty quarter. I also dug up my first hibernating toad and about jumped out of my pants! lol I have read here about a few who have done this but didn't expect it to happen to me. After checking the hole, I gently placed him back in it and buried him...Too weird !

Pics of finds:

Gold ring with what appears to be a copper inlay:

Silver plated communion ring:

1903 and 1906 Indian head pennies:

1919 Standing Liberty quarter:

round coat button:

pocket knife:

Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Golden Sabre II, Tesoro Cutlass II µMax, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro pointer
    Oldest coin, 1732 King George II Halfpenny

Re: 300 yr old home hunt

What a great story!! I lol'ed about the toad, that's funny. The SLQ is awsome!!!!
    YTD hours hunted 159
    Silver coins 38
    Indian cents 59
    Wheats 292
    Buff's nickels 2
    "V" nickels 6
    Sheild Nickels 0

Welcome to the found a hibernating frog club! lol I found one about 25 years ago, quite a shock, for sure!

But on a serious note, that SLQ is incredible! Wow, what a beauty! I've yet to find one this year. That one is in terrific condition!

Congrats on the indian heads and other neat finds too!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Gold ring, IH and a SLQ sure is a good hunt. Congrats on being able tohunt those old spots in Phily.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Veteran Member

Totally awesome hunt, congrats. SLQ, with a date to boot
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Gosh....I can't imagine how one would build a camper. Must be handy. Thanks for sharing and nice job with the finds.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I salivate at the thought of detecting in areas like that.

Congrats on the silver and the rings. Those are really nice finds.

Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030