Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whole Herd of Buffaloes

Whole Herd of Buffaloes

I think it's safe to say that I've figured out how to find nickels with my E-Trac. lol

Today I decided to go back to the town common at the small village where my wife is from. It is a small lot between the community building and post office. The first time I hunted it earlier this year I found 37 wheat cents and 8 silver dimes in just a few hours. I have hunted it several times since then, always finding more wheat cents and another silver dime or two. I have gridded it mutliple times from every direction.

Today I realized that I have found over 65 wheat cents and 15 silver dimes at this site, but not a single old nickel. I said to myself, there MUST be old nickels here as well. So today I decided to really concentrate on nickel signals. The results were better than I expected! I ended up finding two V Nickels, six Buffalo nickels, and five Jeffersons including a war nickel. Obviously on my previous hunts my brain was totally honed in on the high tones and completely ignored the nickel signals! I have never found six Buffalo Nickels in one hunt ever before, not even close! Surprisingly, all six of them have clear legible dates.

I also ended up finding a 1945 Merc, a 1946 Rosie, and 17 wheat cents. It is unbelieveable how many coins I have found in this little 50' x 75' lot, and every time I go back I find more. Fun!

Name:  Pile-1120.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  71.3 KBName:  Display-1120.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  64.1 KBName:  V-Nickels.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  23.9 KBName:  Buffaloes-Dirty.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  63.7 KBName:  Buffaloes-Clean.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  50.1 KBName:  Silver-1.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  40.7 KB
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 09-18-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Re: Whole Herd of Buffaloes

Now that's a nickel hunt if I have ever seen one.
    Really incredible to get a War, Buffalo's and V's like that all in a hunt.
    Six Buffalo nickels is impressive.
    I think we do tend to tune out the nickel and pull tab sounds while concentrating on high tones... at least I do.
    Great hunt Tony... I'll bet it was fun.

Oh yeah, nice silver too. lol

What a great location Tony! Nice bunch of finds. Finding those Nickels in such quantity is an exciting accomplishment. |) |) |) I would love it if you would mosey on over to the Minelab section of the forum and share your findings and technique.

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Veteran Member

Holy nickles , thats a great hunt , i too know i miss nickles , great finds |
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Very nice thumbsup01 Good quantity and quality coins. We all listen for the high silver tone from our detectors. You prove once again, it`s hard to hunt out a good location. Nice pictures.
    Bob-Bristol, Wisconsin
    Minelab CTX3030__6" Smart Coil__Minelab Explorer SE Pro__Minelab Pro Find 25
    Garrett AT Pro__4-1/2" Super Sniper Coil__5" X 8" DD Coil__9" X 12" Concentric Coil__Garrett Pro Pointer
    Bounty Hunter Land Ranger__4" Gold Nugget Coil

Just an incredible hunt, way to hone in on all those nickels, they are some nice ones for sure!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Veteran Member

Wow, thats alot of old coins from a small area. Must be more there.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

That is some really great finds. Congrats!
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

That's awesome! I love those Buffs. It was cool that you thought hey, there should be nickels here. I'm going to go find them today and you did.

Now the question is, where are the silver quarters hiding out at this site??
    Minelab E-trac, Sunray X1 probe

2011 Silver goal: 20 (14 YTD- 8 Rosies, 5 Mercury Head dimes, 1 Barber dime)
    2011 Clad goal: $50 ($132.50 year to date)

Looks like you had alot of fun and was rewarded with many great keepers. Those low nickel signals may be a nice gold ring also!
    Joe Andresen

Quote Originally Posted by Viking link=topic=7913.msg90428#msg90428 date=1321884621
    Now the question is, where are the silver quarters hiding out at this site??
    That is a real head scratcher, and I've wondered the same thing myself. The soil at this site is rich and black and undisturbed, and there is very little trash. Obviously it has never been hunted by anyone who knew what they were doing, yet I've never found a single silver quarter there. Weird.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Both gold rings I have dug in the past registered a solid 12-19 for a 14k gold engagement ring with a quarter carot diamond. The othe 14k gold ring rang a 12-29/30 and was a thick womens wedding band. Both signals sounded like a nickel.
    Joe Andresen

Tony, that is some great hunting. V's, buff's, and a war nickel plus other jeff's. Another pile of wheats on top of that plus some silver. That tiny spot has really been good to you. Are you now going to be concentrating on those nickel signals?
    Congrats on a great hunt
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member

That's a lot of good nickles Other good finds too!
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=7913.msg90446#msg90446 date=1321893817
    Are you now going to be concentrating on those nickel signals?
    It will depend on the site. If the place is really trashy I would go nuts digging beaver tail pulltabs and can slaw. This particular site has relatively little trash though, so it makes it a lot easier to concentrate on the nickel signals.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Fantastic nickel finds!!! I noticed that the E-trac was finding alot more nickels when i first started using it. At places that i had done with my other machines.
    Sometimes they out did the memorial pennies i got that day. And the numbers aren't always near what they say it should be for it to be a nickel. 12-13 isn't always a nickel either. But they never came up that many buffs! |)

Quarters were sucked up by older machines that couldn't see the dimes. Looks like you got a great spot for hunting.

GL/HH
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

Ummm, yup! You know how to find nickels

That is the most nickels I have ever seen on a single hunt
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Very nice batch of coins....I am always amazed at locations that still seem to be virtually unhunted...Nice spot you have going...It looks to have produced well for you!!

Awesome! You sure showed those nickels no mercy. lol That is a really sweet hunt.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Great hunt, I love digging the old nickels.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber