Thread: Union Navy

Union Navy

I found this button, of all places , in Raleigh, NC. It was close to several Antebellum homes. I believe it is Union Navy, but yet again I'm not sure? The button measures 3/4 in Dia. The makers mark is Gem & Co. N.Y. or Gemsco, N.Y. My book has a few similar, but not exact.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    He was loyal to his own kith and kin, but stern and unrelenting with his enemies. He was brave, and he loved the stir of battle." Quote from Cornwallace of the British army about settlers in Concord/Charlotte NC. during Rev. War.

Re: Union Navy

I have found a couple in my book that are Confederate and look similar. Is there any chance this is Confederate? I would really like to find out more about this one...
    He was loyal to his own kith and kin, but stern and unrelenting with his enemies. He was brave, and he loved the stir of battle." Quote from Cornwallace of the British army about settlers in Concord/Charlotte NC. during Rev. War.

I'd say 1850's - 1875ish Union Navy.
    Jimmy - Minelab X-Terra 30 | White's BHID 300 | White's Spectrum XLT | Vibra-Probe 570
    My Blog

I'm not familiar with those back marks.Did a search on Gemsco and the results show more modern military items circa WW II.I can't help out on this one so far.
    For every relic that rots away........a piece of history is lost.

Hey there is a chance it is WWII era. Just not sure. Thanks for looking into it

Very cool find 8) I like buttons....
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    Very cool find 8) I like buttons....
    I do too. I have over a hundred....lol. Most are just flat buttons, but I hold on to them any way lol

Quote Originally Posted by miller6670 View Post
    I do too. I have over a hundred....lol. Most are just flat buttons, but I hold on to them any way lol
    Most of the time flat buttons are not worth anything. I have lots of them too......but there is a flat button that is RARE!! It's plain on the front and on the back it says MONROE. It was a secret way to promote your political views. Not Kidding it would be a great find!!
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Most of the time flat buttons are not worth anything. I have lots of them too......but there is a flat button that is RARE!! It's plain on the front and on the back it says MONROE. It was a secret way to promote your political views. Not Kidding it would be a great find!!
    No kidding, I didn't know that....Looks like I'm going through all those buttons again.... lol

Quote Originally Posted by miller6670 View Post

No kidding, I didn't know that....Looks like I'm going through all those buttons again.... lol
    I went through about 200 of them - NO LUCK lol I got another 100 or so to do.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Buttons are very interesting... there are many collectors out there and a lot of history around them. RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector

hi...

Just looked up the button manufacturer Gem Co/Ny in a button book I have American Military Button Makers And Dealers; Their backmarks and dates by McGuire and Baselon.

Gems Co was first listed as a Army and Navy miltary supplier in 1922. The company is still in business.

PB