Thread: Lone Merc saves weekend

Lone Merc saves weekend

Didn't hunt on thanksgiving day and only got in about 1 1/2 hrs at a hunted out spot the next day and only found some junk and about 12 cents . My wife told me Saturday that she noticed a lot that I hunt had been scraped so Saturday and Sunday I got about 7hrs. in on it .

I've hunted this lot very heavily the last couple of years getting not much of anything but a about 3 or 4 Rosies , a silver Washington , about a dozen Wheat ( not a lot of clad either) a cool Bethlehem Steel ID badge lots of keys and pounds of junk . Judging by the amount of pulltabs and screw tabs I have removed from here I would say many livers where destroyed at this location .

Saturday gave me 2 wheats a 57D and a 5 , 6 memorials , a clad Dime , a bit of junk and a fake gold ring I eyeballed that was partially uncovered in the dirt ( I really thought I had something there for a few seconds ) .
    Sunday gave me the 40D Merc ( my only Merc from this spot ),a 45S and 56 Wheat and 67 cents in clad , a U.S. Army button and a pouch full of junk .

I'll be keeping my eye open to see if they move any more dirt around this lot . This has been a vacant lot since the 60's when they tore down a gas station that was there . I've been told this property belongs to a Doctor . It is tilled a couple of times a year to keep the weeds down . This is one of the very few vacant lots left in town .

I thought it was pretty darn nice of them to put those Porta-potties there for me . thumbsup01 lol

Thanks for looking and Happy holidays .
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Re: Lone Merc saves weekend

Nice going on getting that merc and the wheats. Are those his and her porta-potties?
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Veteran Member

Gotta love the hunt saving merc. Hopefully there is more there for you.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

WTG keeping an eye open for those scrapes!! |
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

NICE! That's the way to take advantage of a new scrape. I wish I could get my Wife to scout for me. lol

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Bummer and surprising there isnt more silver there
    Gotta be there sheik
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=8005.msg91282#msg91282 date=1322514218
    Nice going on getting that merc and the wheats. Are those his and her porta-potties?
    Thanks Al . Interchangeable as long as you are able to sit or stand .

Quote Originally Posted by randy link=topic=8005.msg91292#msg91292 date=1322527543
    Gotta love the hunt saving merc. Hopefully there is more there for you.
    Thanks Randy , I was very happy to get the Merc .

[quote=SeabeeRon link=topic=8005.msg91297#msg91297 date=1322530016]
    WTG keeping an eye open for those scrapes!! |

Thanks Ron , I was lucky my wife spotted it as it wasn't in my plans to even check out that place for a while .

[quote=CyberSage link=topic=8005.msg91306#msg91306 date=1322533293]
    NICE! That's the way to take advantage of a new scrape. I wish I could get my Wife to scout for me. lol

Jack

Thanks Jack , If I was a real Sheik I'd have several wives scouting and doing the digging for me . I would also have several different wives carrying all my detectors and different coils so I could compare signals on undug targets .
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyguy link=topic=8005.msg91308#msg91308 date=1322533951

Bummer and surprising there isnt more silver there
    Gotta be there sheik
    I've always thought there should be more silver there too . I'll be keeping an eye on it to see if they move any more dirt around .

Love those Merc saving hunts.
    The button looks a little older. Any idea on it's age?
    Congrats Sheik.

Quote Originally Posted by jkress link=topic=8005.msg91451#msg91451 date=1322627663
    Love those Merc saving hunts.
    The button looks a little older. Any idea on it's age?
    Congrats Sheik.
    Thanks Joe . The button looks old as far as its decomposure and the lettering on the back but the front seems to be WW2 to present design . When I found it there was what appeared to be a clump of dirt on the back . I scratched it off with my fingernail . It was apparently a blistering of the outside metal casing of the button . The removal of the blister exposed a white material that is soft enough to be scraped out with a pointed toothpick . I can't tell if it is some type of plastic or a metal alloy that broke down over the years . All of the oldest finds that I have found at this lot so far have been 50's or 40's era . Maybe someone out there is a Military button expert ? Here's some better pictures .

Attached Images Attached Images