Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3 amigos

Re: 3 amigos

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    snows a meltin may be hope soon! thumbsup01
    make up your mind man , just twelve posts up ago there was no detecting this weekend and now there may be hope . ye of little faith my friend.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

So I take it there's an old homesite nearby- since it's a cellar hole, right? How did you originally find this great site? I'm going to keep my eye out for them now... so much to learn!!!

Kinda off the subject of cellar hole hunting, but I'm looking forward to detecting some plowed fields, where there were homesites (broken china) I noticed when arrowhead hunting. I kept my eye out for marbles, pipes and such in those areas- but never thought about taking a metal detector out there! C'mon sunshine... and plowing and tilling... lol
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    So I take it there's an old homesite nearby- since it's a cellar hole, right? How did you originally find this great site? I'm going to keep my eye out for them now... so much to learn!!!

Kinda off the subject of cellar hole hunting, but I'm looking forward to detecting some plowed fields, where there were homesites (broken china) I noticed when arrowhead hunting. I kept my eye out for marbles, pipes and such in those areas- but never thought about taking a metal detector out there! C'mon sunshine... and plowing and tilling... lol
    hey Tanacat , ya in Connecticut there are thousands of old abandon homesites (nothing left but their foundations or as we call them cellar holes) out in the woods some are on old maps some arn't . the past few we just stumble onto them looking for other ones . fields can be very productive for cool finds , good signs to look for are as you said and a clump of trees in the middle of a field too. we hit fields as well but they are overgrown with mature trees now ( haven't been plowed in more than a hundered years or more ).

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    hey Tanacat , ya in Connecticut there are thousands of old abandon homesites (nothing left but their foundations or as we call them cellar holes) out in the woods some are on old maps some arn't . the past few we just stumble onto them looking for other ones . fields can be very productive for cool finds , good signs to look for are as you said and a clump of trees in the middle of a field too. we hit fields as well but they are overgrown with mature trees now ( haven't been plowed in more than a hundered years or more ).
    Oh okay, I don't mean to sound dumb :-\ yeah cellar holes are usually UNDER the homes... it seems I remember my great grandma's 'cellar' being a little walks away built in the side of a hill. (I would gather eggs from the chicken coop near there) And ma and pa's cellar in 'Little House on the Prairie' too lol
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Here, cellar holes are the remains of the original home. They usually burned down and sometimes weren't rebuilt on. Around here, built into the side of a hill is a barn. 3 sides made of stone. Another rock formation may be a root cellar which is just for keeping foods cold and extending their usuable time. Them fields should produce some old coins. They can be very noisy and contain all kinds of junk lol Broken china can mean an old home site or just the area they used to bury their trash. Definitely try it and let us know what you come up with. I have had some real nice success with hunting old farm fields, although some have also been eerily quiet.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Thanks George and Dan for the insight. I admit I have soooo much to learn about this hobby, I mean sport... lol

I'm hoping Angie will join me in the field- it's a hugenormous corn field! thumbsup01 100+ acres of plowed field- on the top of the highest knob is the old homesite at about the very center. What a view standing there in the middle of it- an arrowhead hunters dream! I wonder if there's an arrowhead section here? It does involve some 'dirt digging' to extent
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

I'm hoping Angie will join me in the field- it's a hugenormous corn field! thumbsup01 100+ acres of plowed field- on the top of the highest knob is the old homesite at about the very center. What a view standing there in the middle of it- an arrowhead hunters dream! I wonder if there's an arrowhead section here? It does involve some 'dirt digging' to extent
    I am definitely looking forward to joining you! It sounds like a really great opportunity and a very peaceful place... thank you for the invitation!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Thanks George and Dan for the insight. I admit I have soooo much to learn about this hobby, I mean sport... lol
    sport i wish !!! Angel , Coinnut and I would be entered as the 3 man tandem cellar detecting biathalon in this winter Olympics at Vancouver. lol lol