Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: yesterdays Museum hunt

yesterdays Museum hunt

hey all ,

i thought i would just share a little excitement George (Coinnut ) and i had yesterday at the continued volunteer detecting ( two years now ) with Archaeologists from University of Connecticut and the Pequot Indian Museum . For the last two months or more we've been metal detecting for them in search of early artifacts ( both Native American and English settler's) from the 1637 Pequot War main battle , a fort site and then retreat trail of the english soldiers and native American allies . (heres a link to more info on the fort battle http://www.mptn-nsn.gov/PequotWar.aspx )

these English retreat trail areas have been very tough to detect with a whole slew of issues that have thwarted our efforts . EMI interference , briars , rough terrain , ground mineralization and trash from later eras have contaminated these sites .

we have made some progress though with some period items that have kept our determination levels upbeat .

Yesterday was a chilly one and George and i headed to a new area not far from where we have been working , slow goings for most of the day with only .22 and shotgun shells for our troubles . Occasionally you might find somekind of unidentifiable piece of iron scrap or more modern piece of metal garbage as there was some dumping in the area around the turn of the 1900's . then i got a great iron hit something good sized and solid ( sorry i forgot my camera 8/ ) and although the detector i was using ( Whites tdi sl) didn't have a pintpointer or depth gage , i knew it was a deep target by the sound . At about 13 inches down i pull up what looks like an early trade axe very similar in shape and type to this .

i can't explain how long i've been wanting to find one of these , well i got a huge smile from Kevin (senior Archaeologist ) when i quickly called him over . We both just oogled it for a few minutes like a couple of kids with a new toy lol lol .

George or as last minute as he is being called by me and the other Archies now couldn't be out done by my efforts to make him look bad lol rofl , goes and finds one of the nicest and most complete conical brass points anyone has seen

at almost 4 inches long and made from very thin brass it has survived intact for almost 400 years and we all agreed it must have been a dropped arrow .everyone was floored to see such a beautiful example . well done partner

hey thanks for listening and HH all.

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Re: yesterdays Museum hunt

Very Cool. Lucky to be searching such a historic place.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Definitely some excitement to share with us. <:
    You and George did quite well yesterday. An early trade axe and conical brass point.
    The archeology team is very lucky to have two of the best relic hunters at their disposal.
    Congrats Dan and tell George 'atta boy' too. thumbsup01

Fantastic finds stretcher: I can't even imagine what it must have been like for the two of you to recover those. Just incredible

From the photos that has to be some unbelievably tough terrain to detect.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by CODY link=topic=8163.msg92698#msg92698 date=1323620652
    Very Cool. Lucky to be searching such a historic place.
    thanks Cody , i am very fortunate

Quote Originally Posted by jkress link=topic=8163.msg92702#msg92702 date=1323623009
    Definitely some excitement to share with us. <:
    You and George did quite well yesterday. An early trade axe and conical brass point.
    The archeology team is very lucky to have two of the best relic hunters at their disposal.
    Congrats Dan and tell George 'atta boy' too. thumbsup01
    Joe , Kevin and the team have been very supportive and appreciate our help very much , i feel it will open doors and eyes in the Archaeology community and bring some much needed goodwill to our respective fields. thanks for the nice words my friend .

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=8163.msg92705#msg92705 date=1323625238
    Fantastic finds stretcher: I can't even imagine what it must have been like for the two of you to recover those. Just incredible

From the photos that has to be some unbelievably tough terrain to detect.
    thanks you Angie ,
    everyone was thrilled with the days events and accomplishments and credit really goes out to the research team for finding and narrowing down the right spot . George was convinced we were in the wrong area and he was telling me he about gave up hope to this area when he found the point . it was nice to remind him of this fact all the way home lol lol

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=8163.msg92710#msg92710 date=1323627941
    George was convinced we were in the wrong area and he was telling me he about gave up hope to this area when he found the point . it was nice to remind him of this fact all the way home lol lol
    I'll bet. I can just visualize that lol rofl

Tell him it would be great to see him back here once in awhile, will you?

Congrats again on the historic finds |

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

You and George are doing a great service there. It must be thrilling to dig up those items, 400 yrs old . That terrain sure looks like something this old guy would definately have a hard time with. Thanks for posting this
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Dan, what an exciting day for both you and George . Not only making such great finds from the past , but their quality after all this time . Sure wish you had your camera so we could have shared the moment .

I am so glad for both of you , after putting in countless hours in Mystic looking for these relics, I can't think of two finer people who deserve to be rewarded more for their services to the Indian Nation.

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures...
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

WTG Dan! Its a great thing you guys are doing. Giving metal detectorists a good name is something I always try to do. We have to change the image of us just being hole diggers.
    That site looks just like the places Mike and I go to every weekend! Fun isn't it? thumbsup01
    Tell last minute I miss him posting.
    Keep up the good work! |
    Having fun is what it is all about!

WTG guys on the great efforts and finds! Collaboration is a beautiful thing! Question of curiosity. I see the s which I presume mark targets. Do you guys extract the targets or do your archie partners do that?
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Nice work Dan...by reading some of your posts I can see why u call George last minute. Pretty interesting hunting, eapecially having educated folks riding along to analize any curious finds. Wtg.
    And now the metal detectorist pledge.
    "I pledge to do my honor, to do my best AND seriously investigate ALL deep signals!"

Minelab SE (Is there really any other manufacturer?) 2011 totals = 24 silver coins, 3 LC,1 war of 1812 artillary button , 1 token, 6 IH pennies, 1 2 cent piece

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=8163.msg92712#msg92712 date=1323629357
    I'll bet. I can just visualize that lol rofl
    <}

It's hard to wrap my brain around how old those items are Dan! Wow! stretcher:
    Those are some of the earliest pieces of metal in this country!
    And you guys get to help recover and document them! Wow! What a honor!! |)
    Those are some unbelievable finds! |)
    Congrats to you and Mr. Last Minute lol

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=8163.msg92712#msg92712 date=1323629357
    Tell him it would be great to see him back here once in awhile, will you?
    Yes it would! Please do Dan.

Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=8163.msg92721#msg92721 date=1323641977
    You and George are doing a great service there. It must be thrilling to dig up those items, 400 yrs old . That terrain sure looks like something this old guy would definately have a hard time with. Thanks for posting this
    Thanks Al , we have two older gentlemen from our club there pretty often and they do just fine there. infact Tom made some great finds at the fort site .

Quote Originally Posted by fsa46 link=topic=8163.msg92723#msg92723 date=1323643305
    Dan, what an exciting day for both you and George . Not only making such great finds from the past , but their quality after all this time . Sure wish you had your camera so we could have shared the moment .

I am so glad for both of you , after putting in countless hours in Mystic looking for these relics, I can't think of two finer people who deserve to be rewarded more for their services to the Indian Nation.

Thanks for sharing the story and pictures...
    thanks Frank i sure wished i had brought the camera too. 8/

Quote Originally Posted by milco link=topic=8163.msg92727#msg92727 date=1323644714
    WTG guys on the great efforts and finds! Collaboration is a beautiful thing! Question of curiosity. I see the s which I presume mark targets. Do you guys extract the targets or do your archie partners do that?
    yes Milco , the s are targets that we marked and dug , they allow us to recover the artifact ( we are the very first to see and hold the item since that fateful day back in 1637) and then we mark the hole and place the item at the base of the . if we feel its something of immediate importance we'll call one of the Afchaeologist over to inspect it . they place alot of trust and confidence in the few that have been doing this . thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyguy link=topic=8163.msg92729#msg92729 date=1323645501
    Nice work Dan...by reading some of your posts I can see why u call George last minute. Pretty interesting hunting, eapecially having educated folks riding along to analize any curious finds. Wtg.
    thank you ,
    its a nice reversal Aaron , usually you find and item and wonder how it got there or what circumstances came around at how the item was lost. here you know when exactly the item was dropped or lost and you can understand why it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger link=topic=8163.msg92770#msg92770 date=1323665681
    <}

It's hard to wrap my brain around how old those items are Dan! Wow! stretcher:
    Those are some of the earliest pieces of metal in this country!
    And you guys get to help recover and document them! Wow! What a honor!! |)
    Those are some unbelievable finds! |)
    Congrats to you and Mr. Last Minute lol
    thanks Tim , Mr. Last Minute had two hours in the morning at a cellar hole before the Pequot hunt , and he squeaked out a seated half dime just before we had to leave . when he sends the picture of it to me i'll post it , but he tried his old trick by giving me a phone call to rub it in that he had some silver little did he know i was watching from his blind side so i could see him and i let it ring and ring and ring lol lol lol and then i shouted I'm not answering right now so i guess you'll have to tell me in person lol lol lol he's too much

I would be willing to bet that participation at the site improves after this post and the Christmas party tomorrow. lol ....at least for a short time. lol
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Quote Originally Posted by fsa46 link=topic=8163.msg92786#msg92786 date=1323685523
    I would be willing to bet that participation at the site improves after this post and the Christmas party tomorrow. lol ....at least for a short time. lol
    thanks Frank , the trueth is most just aren't into this type of detecting (relic) in our club and others just can't commit that kind of time .

Kevin just sent me a nice picture of the brass rolled arrow point George found , it still had part of the wooden shaft inside the point after 374 years burried in the ground .

Attached Images Attached Images  

holy cow droppings dude !! All awesome finds, But i that trade axe ! Lots of historic finds for sure.. |)
    Someday, I wanna be a vampire

amazing stuff! very nice to see the pics of these historic relics! awesome job fellas!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

awsome historic finds wtg.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Cngrats on some nice finds and WTG for being a good ambassador for the hobby.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Veteran Member

<: happydance02 . now that is just freaking awesome. it does not get much better than that does it .? i think not
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me