Thread: First Hunt - Deepest coin in a Looooong time. Comments...

Threaded View

First Hunt - Deepest coin in a Looooong time. Comments...

I posted this on another forum but here it goes again...

I got out for a quick hunt today with my E-Trac. I felt pretty comfortable with the sounds and controls from the get go. Bill was right, the sounds came quick. I just used the stock coin program after running some coins on it at home the night before, it was good enough. I was very surprised with the weight. With the coil at my feet (really short shaft) I swang it for 2.5 hours with no problem and my back is fine also. Finding what I did in 2.5 hours was a lot of fun.

The first coin in the below pic is a 1924 Rentenpfennig and it was a the length of the Lesche handle, maybe a bit more. So a solid 7 and the sound was quite clear, but jumpy on the screen. Honestly, I find them all the time and for a coin that size (Nickel) that is deepest I ever found one. Actually, the deepest I have ever found a coin is only 8 or so. I have a feeling I will beat that as I was finding many deeper targets. The lower right pin was EASILY 9 deep and I was shocked. I think the iron mineralization in the ground has been hurting me on depth as I was finding more coins in the 5 and 6 range than normal. And I found more older coins, not really old coins for this area but they weren't Euro cents. Oh and I found my 5th silver ring in the last 3 hunts, but this was my first with the E-Trac.

I really enjoyed using the machine and when I found the key (my first LOL) I thought it a good sign. I found the sounds a bit funny, almost like an all metal mode due to the warble effect sometimes, especially when in Response long. Seemed pretty simple to operate but I had to focus more on the sounds than usual (especially in normal response, you could really miss a target in trash).

Settings:

I ran in auto +3 and it was at 27 most of the time. I ran in manual from 25 to 30 with no problems. I wasn't tricked by one piece of iron the hole time! When I got an iffy target I switched to quick mask and it was clear it was iron as well as pinpoint being off. And it's worth noting the ground was very wet. That said, the detector did false on iron more than I'm used to, but it was very easy and quick to check. I really like having quick mask.

I mostly hunted in normal Response audio but did like long to help in trash or when targets sounded faint with depth. Will play with that more. Thanks to (I forget your name) for mentioning it.
    Recovery Deep and Recovery Fast both on, ground difficult, trash density high and the channel picked with noise cancel was 9.

I was running in Conductive and played with TTF for a few minutes.

I ran pinpoint in sizing but did switch to normal on occasion. The areas I hunt have a lot of iron at times and sometimes pinpointing with any detector is hard. The E-Trac I found is nice because normal will allow me to better isolate a target in trash when sizing just can't find it.

Thanks for reading,
    Albert

1st Hunt with E-Trac - Deepie.wmv

[attachimg=1]
    Attached Images Attached Images