Thread: Found an old pair of Binoculars- any idea how old?

Found an old pair of Binoculars- any idea how old?

I've been looking at a whole lot of binoculars online and can't find these anywhere... anybody else ever found any like these? I found them about 10 deep, next to an old cabin built in 1780. They were face down flat & I almost gave up because I thought they were sawed off metal fence posts!

I'm looking forward to going back there to hunt (with a better detector). I found 9 quarters all from late 60's- bummer! No silver for me yet!

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Re: Found an old pair of Binoculars- any idea how old?

Not that I have a clue on how old they are lol but..... they scream 1860-1870's to me. But that's just a wild guess. Any name, initials, or stampings of any kind That would give us a starting point. Look closely for any marks, since there is a fair amount of corrosion. I would have left them in the ground thinking they were just junk metal. Good save thumbsup01
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

I would say around WW1 or WW2 era. I googled and found several similar.But most has brass trim. Yazoo

Quote Originally Posted by yazoo View Post
    I would say around WW1 or WW2 era. I googled and found several similar.But most has brass trim. Yazoo
    I like my answer better lol But yours is more realistic . Great research Yazoo thumbsup01 I've never heard of anyone finding binoculars before

they remind me of the cheapy cast metal kind that us kids back in the 60's or early 70's use to play with .but thats just the impression i get from them .

Tancat did the ground area around the cabin site seem disturbed or like it was moved around some and how deep were the quarters
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

[quote=del;9823]
    they remind me of the cheapy cast metal kind that us kids back in the 60's or early 70's use to play with .but thats just the impression i get from them .

Tancat did the ground area around the cabin site seem disturbed or like it was moved around some and how deep were the quarters
    [QUOTE]

Well, I found the binoculars pretty close to a small garden plot... a couple feet from edge, where it was last tilled. The fact that they were so deep made me think they were really old, but yrs ago they could've been plowed/tilled under deeper. Btw, the cabin has been restored & is occupied.

Oh, the binoculars are VERY heavy if that makes a difference. Cheapy cast metal- would it be heavy? The quarters were sprinkled all over the back yard each one about 2 or 3 inches deep.

thanks for looking Yazoo, will you share that link? I couldn't find any remotely similiar -looked at hundreds of old binoculars!

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Not that I have a clue on how old they are lol but..... they scream 1860-1870's to me. But that's just a wild guess. Any name, initials, or stampings of any kind That would give us a starting point. Look closely for any marks, since there is a fair amount of corrosion. I would have left them in the ground thinking they were just junk metal. Good save thumbsup01
    I like that wild guess best Coinnut- the older the better! Nope except where a liittle plate might have said brand and magnification fell off,there's a spot that looks where it might've been.

I think it'd make a good short story- with a Twilight Zone feel to it, like you look through them and get a flashback to the past from the owners perspective... newer and better ideas come, the more I look through them lol .
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post

I think it'd make a good short story- with a Twilight Zone feel to it, like you look through them and get a flashback to the past from the owners perspective... newer and better ideas come, the more I look through them lol .
    Hey, can you see where all the large coppers are hiding lol Umm.... don't share that info with Del will ya? Just e mail me the locations of them coppers and see what else you can see in them.

Sorry didnt write it down, but I googled it.Also several on Ebay. Yazoo

Sorry didnt write it down, but I googled it.Also several on Ebay. Yazoo
    I checked EBay I think these are pretty close... WWII military

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3D1&_rdc=1

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Hey, can you see where all the large coppers are hiding lol Umm.... don't share that info with Del will ya? Just e mail me the locations of them coppers and see what else you can see in them.
    rofl good one
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

May not want to see everthing through them may have been a peepin tom rofl Cool find non the less thumbsup01
    E-Trac,F75

Quote Originally Posted by kurtnks View Post
    May not want to see everthing through them may have been a peepin tom rofl Cool find non the less thumbsup01
    hahaha so true... lol
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC