Thread: First half dimes

First half dimes

I finally got permission to hunt an old area. Back in the 1800s. There was once a hotel saloon three stores and a black Smith's shop. But now it's all pasture land and stubble. I had about two hours to hunt and a light drizzling rain. I made the best of what I could with the time I had. I was about 35 mins into the hunt when i got a 12-36 thinking Indian head. What a surprise at the eight inch mark. Retrieved a 1853 half dime woo hoo. I sat there about 10 mins staring at it. Well about an hour later I get a jumpy 12-36 12-41. Thinking maybe another half or Indian head? I just about stroked out when i seen that tiny silver disc at the bottom of the hole. 1857 half dime hot dang doing the happy dance. It got dark on me so I had to leave but I have to go back. H.H.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Whites mxt sunray probe stock coil 6×10 4×6 Minelab Etrac Garrett pro pointer and other stuff

Re: First half dimes

The first post was from yesterday. Went back again today. Just got back in about an hour ago with the bootay. I spent the last part of five hours hunting this spot and so many signals. But you all know something I glad that I took off work early. My boss is pretty cool and he knows that I love to metal detect. This area is about six acres by the looks of it and pretty grassy with stubble. It was sprinkling some but I wrapped my ET up the best I could and got on with it. About 10 mins into the hunt I get a 11-47 -45 Jumpy signal at 6 inches . Out pops this walker then later on another walker then another :drinking: yes I was lol. Then I had to go take a wizz as i laid my ET down I got a high tone beep. :shrug: . The signal was 12-12 -13 12-45 at 5 inches. Dug down and a freaking beer can that was shredded . Waved my coil back over and got that boing boing 12-13 nickle sound and pulled out a buff. Well after a few :drinking: I started wandering all over the place lol. Don't ever ever drink beer and detect o: Dug a indian head penny a few seated coins and my best is this big old silver barber dollar o: I need to put leds lights on my coil so I can night hunt. My wife held the flashlight while I detected all-some wife and a hell of a detector. H.H.
    Whites mxt sunray probe stock coil 6×10 4×6 Minelab Etrac Garrett pro pointer and other stuff

Forgot the buffs.

Wow, that is an unbelievable hunt! Amazing coins.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Good for you DR thumbsup01. What awesomes finds indeed . It sounds like you have found a spot that will give you many months/hours of enjoyment <:. Can you just imagine ... it's only the tip of the iceberg.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

thats a awful good bunch of coins you have there i have not found a half dime in 25 years and mine did not look as good as those two good hunt dennis

Veteran Member

Sweet hunt I'm curious what technique you used to clean up those buffs. I'd like to work on some of mine this off season.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

awesome!
    *****IT'S ALL ABOUT BEING GOOD*****

Hydrogen peroxide and then used a SOS pad. No key date coins so i was not to worried about messing them up.

Wow, amazing hunt! Congrats, and best wishes on many future hunts at this site! I find a couple beers helps me focus more, or maybe its just more relaxed, not sure.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Very amazing. You have yourself quite nice place to hunt DR.

A great big silver congrats on the Morgan.

Looking forward to your next hunt there. :->

Sweet hunt that morgan I sure hope I find one some day

You are the man |)
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

WOW those are some great coins. Good luck on your return trips.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber