Thread: Finds from my first daytime hunt with the new E-Trac

Finds from my first daytime hunt with the new E-Trac

I don't expect to get this lucky again but wow this thing has great separation in High Trash mode! I was cherry picking gold out of an area littered with clad. Dug just one penny and abut 10 nickels. I got sidetracked from the gold search once due to a 'flutey' sound that turned out to be a large clad coin drop. The middle ring was really down there - maybe 9 inches!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Fisher CZ21, Excalibur II 800 (scuba), Minelab X-Terra 705, DeepTech Vista SMART, AKA Sorex Pro, Fisher CZ70Pro, Fish CZ3D

Re: Finds from my first daytime hunt with the new E-Trac

Those are numbers that alot of people ignore. But this can be the reward!
    I found a small 10k ring this year and it came in 12-06 too. Is that middle ring 10k?
    I agree. The E-Trac will lock onto the gold just fine. You just gotta dig those trash numbers! lol
    Awesome finds!
    Congrats!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Simply an amazing hunt with your new machine. <:

You see plenty of silver posts with new E-Tracs, but this one is amazing. When you say cherry picking gold is something I have yet to hear with any machine.

Any tips for a 'no solid gold ring yet' kind of guy?

Congrats on a golden hunt DirtFisher.

Veteran Member

And who says the E-Trac can't find gold. Sweet digs
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Congrats on some great finds!!

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

The top and middle rings are 10K and the bottom is 18K. By 'cherry picking' I meant that I was working around a lot of clad and trying to concentrat only on gold-range signals. I only dug one penny and one large coin spill that I thought was silver so I dug it. I dug lots of foil and pull tabs.
    Fisher CZ21, Excalibur II 800 (scuba), Minelab X-Terra 705, DeepTech Vista SMART, AKA Sorex Pro, Fisher CZ70Pro, Fish CZ3D

Congrats! Wow that is deep. Amazing how we are so comfy so soon, eh? What coil were you using? I have the 6SEF on the way.

Aren't you on the V3i board as well? If so would be nice to cross check the deep ones.

Albert

Quote Originally Posted by earthmansurfer link=topic=8283.msg93899#msg93899 date=1324576078
    Congrats! Wow that is deep. Amazing how we are so comfy so soon, eh? What coil were you using? I have the 6SEF on the way.

Aren't you on the V3i board as well? If so would be nice to cross check the deep ones.

Albert
    Hey Albert! I just crossed over to the &quotark side with an E-Trac. I went mostly with the Whites side since the mid 1970's. I just purchased a 6 SEF for the E-Trac that I haven't recieved yet. I have a newer V3i but had some problems with it because it needed factory reset. The E-Trac is very impressive right out of the box. I'm hyped to see these amazing gold ring finds. I thought the V3i would do a better job on gold. This puts some doubts in the Jedi mind! thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by DirtFisher link=topic=8283.msg93876#msg93876 date=1324571162
    The top and middle rings are 10K and the bottom is 18K. By 'cherry picking' I meant that I was working around a lot of clad and trying to concentrat only on gold-range signals. I only dug one penny and one large cin spill that I thought was silver so I dug it. I dugn lots of foil and oull tabs.
    You made the E-Trac look like a gold magnet. I hope you can keep them coming!!

Quote Originally Posted by tracyjm link=topic=8283.msg93916#msg93916 date=1324587299
    Hey Albert! I just crossed over to the &quotark side with an E-Trac. I went mostly with the Whites side since the mid 1970's. I just purchased a 6 SEF for the E-Trac that I haven't recieved yet. I have a newer V3i but had some problems with it because it needed factory reset. The E-Trac is very impressive right out of the box. I'm hyped to see these amazing gold ring finds. I thought the V3i would do a better job on gold. This puts some doubts in the Jedi mind! thumbsup01
    I am not at all brand loyal, though I do like Fisher/Teknetics machines. The V3i was my first White's machine. So, we both have an 6 on the way, both had V3i's,... hey, this is kind of scary. What is your girlfriend and daughters name? eheheh

Yes, the E-Trac is great right out of the box. I am finding deep coins EVERY hunt - barely made that today with one at 8! I don't mind not finding silver if I can pull a deepie.

I do think the V3i is better on gold (small) than the E-Trac. I just found too many small (non gold) targets. It is very sensitive there. But I am shocked at the E-Trac on coins and depth.

All the best and we'll have to compare notes if we get a chance to use those coils before the freeze,
    Albert

Albert, I'm on the White's site as Reeseb. Yes, I do have a V3i. Interesting thing is that my E-Trac can't see a 5.3 gram 18K gold chain. No matter how close it is to the coil - it doesn't even null. My V3i goes bonkers on it. And the most interesting thing is that I found the chain in the water with my Excalibur II. >:#

I'm using the stock coil.

Reeseb! I am not crazy... I mean I have a good memory.

Hey, I'm not shocked at your jewelry find. For finer jewelry the higher frequency machines and the V3i are great. I don't hunt jewelry though. I got the E-Trac to see how it does on coins.

I'm really curious about the V3i on coins in my type of ground (V3i says it's low mineralization (1%) but has a lot of iron mineralization - VDI -92 to -94) The E-Trac started pulling 7 and 8 coins from this soil. I have to eventually compare signals but wonder if I'm on to something...

EMS

It's interesting that the E-Trac is unable to the 18K 5.4g gold chain I found with my Excal. Truthfully, my Excal can't see it either. Both machines don't even null on it when it's right up to the coil. It's like it isn't even there. The only reason why I found is it had a junk metal eagle attached to it. That's what the Excal hit on. My V3i hits hard on the necklace. I've read that this is a problem with FBS. This actually doesn't bother me because necklaces are a pretty rare find for a jewelry hunter.

Reese, I don't think it's a problem with FBS at all. I think it's the lower frequency sets they chose to select out of the 100 frequencies! LOL. Really, from reading it's pretty clear that the E-Trac is great on the high conductors - I noticed that real quick as well. On the forums people say it does great on jewelry but not the fine jewelry.

I have a feeling the next E-Trac might have a jewelry mode, where it also incorporates a higher frequency set.

If by 'fine jewelry' you mean small gold, I with you - but so far my E-Trac has done very well on small gold rings (like the 1g kind). I don't think I'll be missing much with the E-Trac as far as gold is concerned.

By the nature of the signal return given by round objects, rings (even small gold rings) are easily detected. Gold chains can be very difficult for most detectors to read. They respond as a whole object, but as the individual links which means very small responses.

Congrats on the great finds. I too am guilty of quickly giving up on the low numbers after digging a handfull of canslaw and tabs.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com