Thread: Don't you hate it when..........

Don't you hate it when..........

Don't you hate it when you get a decent signal under a tree root and you bust your butt getting at it and it turns out to be either junk or a Memorial cent ? >:/ Oh well , at least I've done this so many times I've gotten pretty good at repairing the holes ( repair shown in second picture ) . I've been in a real slump lately nothing but clads and a few wheats in about the last six hunts (glad to be getting out though) .
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: Don't you hate it when..........

Yeah, I hate that too, so much work and only disappointment as a reward. What was your coin this time, a memorial?

Nice repair job on the hole though! thumbsup01
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Nice repair job. I hate to post this but I'm the type of guy that might have left that penny under the root for the next guy. LOL. Yes roots can be very challenging, nicked a very nice 1917 merc because of roots.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Yep I can sympathise, so often when you get something under a root it is not worth the effort but every now and then The last major root dig was by a big old maple and the target was under two roots that crossed sort of like X marks the spot. I had to go out a bit from the side and dig up the target and the result.... a lovely Walking Liberty Half!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=8277.msg93753#msg93753 date=1324468065
    Yeah, I hate that too, so much work and only disappointment as a reward. What was your coin this time, a memorial?

Nice repair job on the hole though! thumbsup01
    It was a Memorial , usually it's a pulltab or a zinc , I guess I'm moving up in the world .
    Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=8277.msg93766#msg93766 date=1324471094
    Nice repair job. I hate to post this but I'm the type of guy that might have left that penny under the root for the next guy. LOL. Yes roots can be very challenging, nicked a very nice 1917 merc because of roots.
    Thanks , If I would have left it for the next guy it probably would have turned out to be a Seated .

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two link=topic=8277.msg93770#msg93770 date=1324481902
    Yep I can sympathise, so often when you get something under a root it is not worth the effort but every now and then The last major root dig was by a big old maple and the target was under two roots that crossed sort of like X marks the spot. I had to go out a bit from the side and dig up the target and the result.... a lovely Walking Liberty Half!
    She's lovely Bell-Two !!! I would have uprooted the whole tree for that one ( of course I would have replanted it ) . lol

Sheik , the opposite is usually true when relic hunting in the woods . when i open up a hole because of a decent target and i hit a 2 inch root i really get excited because its more than often a very old and good item . keep at it one is bound to be a seated my friend

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=8277.msg93766#msg93766 date=1324471094
    I hate to post this but I'm the type of guy that might have left that penny under the root for the next guy. LOL.
    Al , your that guy huh >:/ you must drive Rob crazy sometimes lol lol
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I've been digging 7 and 8 inch Memorials all week. Sucks. But at least I'm detecting.

Regards, ken
    Minelab E-Trac, stock coil

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=8277.msg93809#msg93809 date=1324499115
    Sheik , the opposite is usually true when relic hunting in the woods . when i open up a hole because of a decent target and i hit a 2 inch root i really get excited because its more than often a very old and good item . keep at it one is bound to be a seated my friend
    I would settle for a Rosie or an Indian Del .

Quote Originally Posted by kenfen link=topic=8277.msg93859#msg93859 date=1324565546
    I've been digging 7 and 8 inch Memorials all week. Sucks. But at least I'm detecting.

Regards, ken

Sometimes we forget that memorials have been around for more than half a century and have had time to sink pretty deep . :-\

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=8277.msg93809#msg93809 date=1324499115
    Sheik , the opposite is usually true when relic hunting in the woods . when i open up a hole because of a decent target and i hit a 2 inch root i really get excited
    I gotta agree with Dan on this one.

When I get down 4 or 5 inches down and my target is under a big root I start to get excited!
    But I've had my share of 7 and 8 inch memorials too. >:# I feel your pain. >{ lol
    At least your out diggin' thumbsup01
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbooty link=topic=8277.msg93903#msg93903 date=1324576409
    Sometimes we forget that memorials have been around for more than half a century and have had time to sink pretty deep . :-\
    Makes you feel kind of old huh? lol I know you're older than me, but I was in highschool in 1983 when zincolns started to be made. I forget that sometimes, that they've been around that long.

Curious what year your memorial was or did you even pay attention?

That is some root!
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat link=topic=8277.msg94081#msg94081 date=1324686647
    Makes you feel kind of old huh? lol I know you're older than me, but I was in highschool in 1983 when zincolns started to be made. I forget that sometimes, that they've been around that long.

Curious what year your memorial was or did you even pay attention?

That is some root!

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger link=topic=8277.msg94000#msg94000 date=1324612367
    I gotta agree with Dan on this one.

When I get down 4 or 5 inches down and my target is under a big root I start to get excited!
    But I've had my share of 7 and 8 inch memorials too. >:# I feel your pain. >{ lol
    At least your out diggin' thumbsup01

Feel old ? A lot more lately Tana, I graduated from High School in 1963 . The memorial from under the root was 1979 . Some 1982's were still copper but that is the year the coated zincs began to appear .

Ill Digger , Your right , at least I'm out digging .

Dang Sheik, you're even older than me!! :white:
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

I know how you feel about those roots, but there is this little voice in the back of my head >8) that says if you give up you'll be walking away from a good one. It never is, but you still have to try. Great clean up job. :white:
    Oldest Coin: 1846 LC

Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon link=topic=8277.msg94370#msg94370 date=1324948342
    Dang Sheik, you're even older than me!! :white:
    It's getting extremely difficult to find coins older than I am Ron . lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mudder link=topic=8277.msg94377#msg94377 date=1324949657
    I know how you feel about those roots, but there is this little voice in the back of my head >8) that says if you give up you'll be walking away from a good one. It never is, but you still have to try. Great clean up job. :white:

Thanks Mudder , I hope your next root dig gives you a great coin for a change .