Thread: Ruined My First Indian :-(

Ruined My First Indian :-(

I did a lot of hunting on a visit, mostly cruddy pennies, but had one really green and crusty coin that I later found to be an IH, my first I got anxious to see the date and make it clean so I went to hydrogen peroxide, and made some progress, but not much, except the date came through, 1898. I read where a mineral oil soak might be good,,,didn't have mineral oil so I used vegetable oil instead. MISTAKE. Now the detail is gone and it is black. Oh well, it wasn't a real treasure since I see y'all here getting IHs a lot. Live and learn. martin

Veteran Member

Re: Ruined My First Indian :-(

At least you got an IH. Nice find. I don't get all that many. I think part of your mistake may also have been mixing cleaning methods.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Congrats on your first IH Martin! Some coins, depending how crusty they are, just don't respond well to any type of cleaning.
    I live my life one target at a time
    since '68

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff (or) link=topic=8303.msg94084#msg94084 date=1324688237
    Congrats on your first IH Martin! Some coins, depending how crusty they are, just don't respond well to any type of cleaning.
    Thats what I was going to say! lol
    Some of them aren't going to come clean. crying01
    Either way a IH is always a fun find to make!
    Congrats on your first!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

It was very crusty and green and heaped with green mounds. I had figured it was a horrible, plain penny, but it stood out looking like that. It was surprising when the oil bath removed patterns like it did. Whatever did it, the details were eaten away. I had researched the 1898 date and knew mine was plain jane, so I hurried too much on my first cleaning, besides the general soft toothbrush routine.

On a side note, I also found my 2nd and third wheat also. It's the forst time I've gone through my extra battery pack. Thanks all. martin

I find IHs and coppers in general hard to clean. I only use soap and a soft toothbrush....but even then they tend to chip. It depends on the condition they were found. I have lots to learn about cleaning.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

I know I have a lot to learn about cleaning pennies, they do not take well to being in the ground at all. I know I have tried just about all the cleaning methods on them, and more often or not it does more harm than good. >:#
    Oldest Coin: 1846 LC

Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer