Thread: I kinda saved my brother's life today...

I kinda saved my brother's life today...

Well, this will be a memorable Christmas Eve... My family and my brother met at my Mom's house this afternoon for Christmas exchange/dinner. I noticed when my brother got there he just didn't seem right. We sat down to watch the Steeler's game and he was saying that he was super hungry. I was freezing and had a cover on and he began to sweat profusely... Literally started to soak his shirt as he sat there looking tired. He's type II diabetic...so am I, but he's much less under control... He works midnights and woke up in time to come to mom's by 12:30.. He said that he gave himself his shot and his meds and continued to state he was starving. I noticed he began to nod off to sleep, but continued to sweat...his shirt was nearly completely soaked at this point. I went and sat next to him and noticed he was slow to respond.... I knew he was in trouble. I asked my mom if she still had her glucometer because I didn't want to do anything without testing him.. I knew he was either high or low, but certainly wasn't going to give him anything if I didn't know. She finally found her glucometer and it took me 4 tries to get a reading because his skin was saturated with sweat. I finally got a reading and it was 37!!! Oh boy.. I immediately got him some fruit juice, which he drank.. waited about another 5 minutes and took it again... This time it was a 31... I got him some orange juice and put sugar in with it... My mom began to panic because he was going in and out of conciousness, and I had to keep smacking his arm to keep him awake. My Step-dad called 911 and they arrived pretty quick... They tested him when they got there and he was up to a 45. They had us make him a PB and J sandwich with extra jelly. They gave him glucose jelly orally and gave him an IV. He didn't even know what day it was when they got there and kept nodding off... At least, being a diabetic myself, I was aware of what was going on... That was way too scary and way to close... It turns out he must have taken his insulin on an empty stomach and expected to eat quicker at my mom's... He didn't remember anything. He didn't have to go to the hospital after they got his glucose stabilized... I kept thinking...What if he had been at home alone? He couldn't talk or move?...What a day!
    CTX 3030, Garrett Propointer
    2013 Silver count: 27
    2012 Silver count: 30
    2011 Silver count: 58
    2010 Silver count: 77

Re: I kinda saved my brother's life today...

thats pretty scarey Brian , i'm glad for your Brother you recognized the symptoms .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake link=topic=8320.msg94200#msg94200 date=1324782850
    I asked my mom if she still had her glucometer because I didn't want to do anything without testing him.. I knew he was either high or low, but certainly wasn't going to give him anything if I didn't know.
    I wish everyone knew what you just stated.

It is vital.

I'm glad it worked out Brian, and that you guys knew what to do.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Veteran Member

gee whiz what a day . hope everything works out . kudos for you ........ |
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

I just talked to him and he is doing fine tonight. Low sugar is nasty and can hit very hard and sudden. This is the first time that something like this has ever happened to him. My mom thought he was having a heart attack, but I knew his sugar was all screwed up. I hated seeing him trying to nodd off and I kept watching his chest to make sure he was breathing... He's my only sibling and I couldn't bear losing him.
    CTX 3030, Garrett Propointer
    2013 Silver count: 27
    2012 Silver count: 30
    2011 Silver count: 58
    2010 Silver count: 77

Wow, very scary indeed. Lucky you were there and knew what to do, Brian! I'm glad that your brother is OK now!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

I'm glad to see everything worked out alright. I deal with diabetics all the time and they can go down quickly, good thing he wasn't alone and that you knew just what to do.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Veteran Member

Wow that must have been a scary experience. I'm glad you got it under control, and best wishes for a full recovery and healthy new year.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

I wish you and your family a more relaxing Christmas Day and happy new year.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Oh my goodness that must have been so scary :-\ Glad you were there Brian!!!
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Veteran Member

Awesome Brian !!
    He's lucky he has You for a Brother and that You knew what to do !!

Merry Christmas
    V3i DFX 10 DD 6x10 DD 4x6 DD DX-1

Wow! 8/ Scary is right!
    I'm glad you were there!
    I hope the rest of the holidays go a little smoother for ya! thumbsup01 lol
    It looks like your brother had a angle among him yesterday!
    Merry Christmas Brian!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

wow, just read this....I hope that by now everything is great with your brother....living with diabetes in my family I know how things can just happen suddenly....it's a good thing you checked his levels first before doing anything....
    *****IT'S ALL ABOUT BEING GOOD*****

I am glad things came out fine.My g/f and one of her dogs are Diabetic.I administer 6 injections of insulin a day to them.
    You Done Good ! thumbsup01 thumbsup01 thumbsup01
    "I'm Your Huckle Bearer"