Thread: Super Fun Christmas Day Hunt With Family

Super Fun Christmas Day Hunt With Family

Every time I go to southern Illinois to visit my family, I kind of half jokingly suggest to my brother that he's supposed to be finding places for me to metal detect down there. His father-in-law owns about a million acres of farmland down there (or so it seems) including many sites where 1800s farm houses once stood. Well, it just happened that we had some time to kill on Christmas Day after opening gifts and having dinner, so my brother suggested that we take my metal detector to a spot that is now a cow pasture but was known to be a popular picnic area starting in the late 1800s.

My dad and my nephew decided to tag along, so we all piled in my dad's extended cab pickup truck and headed to the site. We made a quick phone call to my brother's father-in-law just to make sure it was OK, and he said that we could hunt there any time unless the cows were in there.

I must admit that I was skeptical about finding anything at this site, I guess because it's out in the middle of nowhere. It's a fairly large wooded area that is fenced and gated, and the grass is kept close-cropped by the cows who inhabit it part of the year. My doubts were soon put to rest though, as I found a 1914 Barber Dime after being there for only ten minutes.

We only had about an hour and a half to hunt before it got dark, but we made good use of the time. It soon became apparent that there were old coins to be found at this site, as I started finding Indian Head cents and Barber Dimes on a fairly regular basis. I was the only one with a detector, but every time I got a good signal all four of us would gather around to see what popped out of the hole. I think I impressed the others with my ability to predict what the target would be, Indian Head, Wheat Cent, Barber Dime, etc., but the E-Trac should get all the credit for that. These were very clean signals and the numbers were right on target every time.

By the time it got too dark to hunt any more we had 4 Indian Heads, 2 wheat cents, 3 Barber Dimes, and one Rosie. The remarkable thing about this site is the average age of the finds. This place has the potential to be a terrific honey hole, as I have only hunted a tiny portion of it so far. Could my first Seated Liberty coin be waiting there for me? Only time will tell.

The only minor down side to this site is that the soil is not kind to copper coins. The Indian Heads and wheat cents are pretty toasted, it took some work and a good magnifying glass to get dates off of them. Also, two of the Barber Dimes were very worn, now I know how the saying one thin dime originated. lol

Mostly it was just a lot of fun to hunt with my family, especially my dad just like the old days. My brother was very happy and proud that he was able to find this incredible site for me that has a ton of potential.

Here are the finds for the day:
    Name:  Display-1225.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  74.7 KB

Not the prettiest Indian Heads, but it was a blast finding them!
    Name:  Indians-Obv-1.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  80.8 KBName:  Indians-Rev-1.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  92.1 KB

Two of the Barber Dimes were really worn:
    Name:  Barbers-Obv-1.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  49.8 KBName:  Barbers-Rev-1.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  42.8 KB

Thanks for looking and I hope everyone is having a great holiday season! thumbsup01
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 12-19-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Re: Super Fun Christmas Day Hunt With Family

Tony
    Nice coins
    indian аnd silver

That is just awesome Tony! Really sounds like you are on to a very sweet spot, I hope it is not too far from home so you can make many return trips. That type of hunt is always fun, to predict the coin and then sure enough it comes out just like you said, people think you're a genius!

Have you looked this site up on the 1930's Illinois aerial imagery site? I think that would help you determine the best potential spots, and you don't even have to take a lawn mower with you. If I can help you with the aerials, send me a pm and I'll be glad to help you with the research.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Veteran Member

Sweet hunt. 3 barber dimes in one day is amazing. As for the copper, welcome to my world -- they all come out of the ground like that around here.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Great day Tony, and I would worry much about the copper, when you found all that silver. The ground is never kind to copper, but it does seem to hate it at that site.
    Oldest Coin: 1846 LC

Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer

What an awesome hunt, and on Christmas day no less! Santa was good to you for sure.
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Nice finds Tony! Barber coins were common in circulation right up to the 1930s (that's when they pretty much wore out). Your 3 dimes are like a time sequence on how the coins wore down as they were exchanged from hand to hand. I hope you can get back there when you have a full day to hunt. Probably bunches of big silver waiting for you. But don't take IllDigger, he'll find all the silver spills! rofl
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

wow what a hunt! and to have family with you as well..priceless! good digs and a good time i bet..congrats!!

Awesome post Tony.

This story certainly has all of the components that dreams are made of. Three Barbers, four IH's, two early Wheat cents and a bonus Rosie is a stellar 1.5 hour hunt. |) You are on to something quite beautiful here. :->

The copper coins might not hold up well (still look good to me) from this site... but the silver will definitely hold it's own.

I'll bet this site has found it's way to your list of 'places to hunt next year'. lol

Great way to top off the holiday.

Wow!!, What a spot! If you need any help, covering this ground. Let me know. Awesome coins! Congrats!
    2012 count: 99 silvers, 3 V Nickels, 4 War Nickles, 2 Gold Rings, 17 Silver Rings, 6 Buffallo Nickels,2 silver braclets, silver cross: 2013 1 Silver, 2 Silver rings, 1 Sterling Neckless with heart charm

Awesome Christmas hunt Tony !! You did extremely well gathering a nice bunch of mementos from a hunt you will never forget . |

That's a great story. How could Christmas get any better than it already is...by finding some awesome keepers at a new site with your family. Dang, what a way to enjoy the holidays! Great job!
    Minelab E-trac, Sunray X1 probe

2011 Silver goal: 20 (14 YTD- 8 Rosies, 5 Mercury Head dimes, 1 Barber dime)
    2011 Clad goal: $50 ($132.50 year to date)

Nice finds Tony. That is one place I would be returning to. WTG thumbsup01
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Sooooo, I'm assuming that you will be going back. Great site with huge potential. Can't wait for the post with the 1st seated whatever. Congrats on a great hour and a half hunt
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Quote Originally Posted by serega link=topic=8328.msg94332#msg94332 date=1324934754
    Tony
    Nice coins
    indian аnd silver
    Thanks, Serge! It was a lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by milco link=topic=8328.msg94338#msg94338 date=1324937267
    That is just awesome Tony! Really sounds like you are on to a very sweet spot, I hope it is not too far from home so you can make many return trips. That type of hunt is always fun, to predict the coin and then sure enough it comes out just like you said, people think you're a genius!

Have you looked this site up on the 1930's Illinois aerial imagery site? I think that would help you determine the best potential spots, and you don't even have to take a lawn mower with you. If I can help you with the aerials, send me a pm and I'll be glad to help you with the research.
    It is a bit of a drive for me, but I'll make it work somehow. lol There really isn't anything to see in the 1930s aerial photos except the tops of trees. It is a heavily wooded area and was so back in the late 1930s also.

Quote Originally Posted by randy link=topic=8328.msg94346#msg94346 date=1324940671
    Sweet hunt. 3 barber dimes in one day is amazing. As for the copper, welcome to my world -- they all come out of the ground like that around here.
    Here in central Illinois it depends on the site, sometimes copper coins look nice, sometimes they are toasted. But in southern Illinois they are often in bad shape, maybe because the ground has a lot more clay down there?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudder link=topic=8328.msg94389#msg94389 date=1324950712
    Great day Tony, and I would worry much about the copper, when you found all that silver. The ground is never kind to copper, but it does seem to hate it at that site.
    Yeah, I'm not too disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by z118 link=topic=8328.msg94395#msg94395 date=1324951901
    What an awesome hunt, and on Christmas day no less! Santa was good to you for sure.
    To my recollection, it's the only time I've ever hunted on Christmas Day, and it was definitely a day to remember!

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger link=topic=8328.msg94406#msg94406 date=1324953551
    Nice finds Tony! Barber coins were common in circulation right up to the 1930s (that's when they pretty much wore out). Your 3 dimes are like a time sequence on how the coins wore down as they were exchanged from hand to hand. I hope you can get back there when you have a full day to hunt. Probably bunches of big silver waiting for you. But don't take IllDigger, he'll find all the silver spills! rofl
    Thanks, Dave! Yeah, these Barber Dimes were definitely in circulation for a long while! I just hope there is a spill there to be found, or at least some silver quarters. If not, I won't have a problem settling for more Indian Heads and Barber Dimes!

Quote Originally Posted by Hook link=topic=8328.msg94408#msg94408 date=1324953811
    wow what a hunt! and to have family with you as well..priceless! good digs and a good time i bet..congrats!!
    The best part was that my dad, brother and nephew got to share in the excitement!

Quote Originally Posted by jkress link=topic=8328.msg94432#msg94432 date=1324958675
    Awesome post Tony.

This story certainly has all of the components that dreams are made of. Three Barbers, four IH's, two early Wheat cents and a bonus Rosie is a stellar 1.5 hour hunt. |) You are on to something quite beautiful here. :->

The copper coins might not hold up well (still look good to me) from this site... but the silver will definitely hold it's own.

I'll bet this site has found it's way to your list of 'places to hunt next year'. lol

Great way to top off the holiday.
    Thanks, Joe! Not only has this site found its way to my list of places to hunt next year, it's currently at the top of the list! (And I can't stop thinking about it!) Oh well, good things come to those who wait, patience is a virtue, etc. I just hope the site ends up being as good as I've built it up to be in my mind! lol

Quote Originally Posted by starman2 link=topic=8328.msg94437#msg94437 date=1324959808
    Wow!!, What a spot! If you need any help, covering this ground. Let me know. Awesome coins! Congrats!
    Thanks! Who knows, maybe I already found everything in that 1.5 hour hunt! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbooty link=topic=8328.msg94445#msg94445 date=1324974400
    Awesome Christmas hunt Tony !! You did extremely well gathering a nice bunch of mementos from a hunt you will never forget . |
    The coins are secondary, the memory of the fun day with my family is priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by Viking link=topic=8328.msg94462#msg94462 date=1324995277
    That's a great story. How could Christmas get any better than it already is...by finding some awesome keepers at a new site with your family. Dang, what a way to enjoy the holidays! Great job!
    I must confess that it was more fun than falling asleep in front of the TV! thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by CODY link=topic=8328.msg94466#msg94466 date=1324998872
    Nice finds Tony. That is one place I would be returning to. WTG thumbsup01
    Without a doubt, I will be going back at the earliest opportunity! thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=8328.msg94492#msg94492 date=1325004471
    Sooooo, I'm assuming that you will be going back. Great site with huge potential. Can't wait for the post with the 1st seated whatever. Congrats on a great hour and a half hunt
    Thanks, Al! I can't wait to go back! I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but given what we found in that first hour and a half, there should definitely be more there. I'm not 100% sure when I can return though, as it is a bit of a drive. It also depends on the weather and if my brother is available, because I want him to be with me when I go back to the property. We'll see.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 420 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 125 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 406 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 90 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg