Thread: 2012 MDing Goals?

2012 MDing Goals?

Hey everyone-

As 2011 winds to a close, and we reflect on our best finds of the year, I was wondering if you all have been thinking about your metal detecting goals for 2012? I think it's fun to set a mark and then shoot for it. It helps dictate what spots you should be hunting, which signals you should be aware of, and it makes it that much more rewarding when you reach your goals. Since my previous yearly highs were only $30 in clad and 2 silver coins (back in my Ace 250 days), I tried for $50 in clad (got that by spring) and 20 silver coins in 2011, but I unfortunately only found 14 (when you include jewelry, I probably found 25 silver items thumbsup01 ).

I'm thinking that my goal this year will be to find 3 gold items with the E-trac. It'll force me to dig more signals that I'd generally pass over when I was trying to focus on high conductive silver tones (obviously I'll still dig those too!). I think the end result will make me better understand my detector and the number of unique items are sure to increase as well.

So what are you guys shooting for? I'm sure some of you professionals are eyeballing hundreds of silver coins or maybe one type of coin in general (silver dollar, seated coin, large copper, etc). Don't be afraid to set stretch goals!

Curious to hear about them! Good luck!
    Minelab E-trac, Sunray X1 probe

2011 Silver goal: 20 (14 YTD- 8 Rosies, 5 Mercury Head dimes, 1 Barber dime)
    2011 Clad goal: $50 ($132.50 year to date)

Veteran Member

Re: 2012 MDing Goals?

For me, I'm done with numbers. I only want one silver next year, a bust silver (tho I'd take a 20 cent piece or a seated dollar lol). My goal is to focus on older sites with less quantity, but the potential for a really big ol' fish. We'll see how that goes.

Good luck to everyone in 2012 (and what's left of 2011, supposed to be 50s here tomorrow <.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

My goals for 2012 are very similar to Randy's, I want to concentrate on quality over quantity. I plan on spending the winter months researching OLD sites to hunt, meaning pre-1900. I would gladly take 1 Seated Liberty coin over 40 Mercury Dimes.

Overall I was very pleased with my finds for this year, especially considering that my season was only 9 months long. I got my E-Trac in late March and went on my first hunt sometime in April. I found my first silver coin this year on April 23. However, I am slightly disappointed that I didn't find a seated liberty coin or a standing liberty quarter.

I guess if I were to list my specific goals for 2012 it would look something like this:

1. Meet and hunt with more members of American Detectorist.
    2. Find my first Seated Liberty coin.
    3. Find a Standing Liberty Quarter.
    4. Finally find a 1916 Mercury Dime, any mint mark!
    5. Find any other coin type that I've never found before, such as a Half Cent, Flying Eagle Cent, Fatty Indian Head, Two-Cent Piece, Half Dime, Three-Cent Silver, Three-Cent Nickel, Shield Nickel, Bust Dime, Twenty Cent Piece, Bust Quarter or Half, Silver Dollar.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

I am just looking forward to getting out more. I averaged 2 to 3 hunts a month in 2011 for a total of 34 hunts. I did OK (48 Silver), but would like to hit a 100 Silver this coming year. I also want to start hunting for jewelry more, and using the DFX with the Bigfoot coil. It's really fun raking in the quarters. I miss those hunts. I have a lot writing to finish, and share as well. Maybe publish an article or two if deemed good enough. As far as desirable coins go... I would really like to find a U.S. Gold coin of some kind. Who wouldn't? lol

Jack
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Don't want to set any numbers. Just want to try to do better than 2011. 38 silvers in 7 months. Want to find my first 1800's coin. Also my first BIG silver. My first gold item I can keep. Want to get out of the city more and hunt more old farm houses. What I REALLY want is for my knee's to hold up. Ha ha. Seriously! HH all.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

I just want to be able to hunt more then a handful of times...working overseas can really put a damper on my MD education.

Cheers,
    4Kiwis
    "When My Ship Comes In, I'll Probably be At The Airport"

Whites V3i 10DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1

No metal detecting goals for me, just personal ones. Going out and having FUN and finding whatever I can get out of the dirt is good with me.
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Candidate Member

All I want for 2012 is Relics!! >

I seem to be all about quantity over quality. Volume digging seems to be my only hope for snagging a small handful of quality finds. So with that in mind I'm hoping for the following in 2012:

Dig 10,000 targets total, including junk and hopefully the following:
    $500 in clad
    50 silver coins
    50 silver non coin items
    10 gold items

That being said, any 1800's silver would be fantastic, and either a Barber or Standing Liberty Quarter would have me dancing for weeks.

Beyond hopes particular to the finds themselves, I'd like to get out more in 2012 than I did in 2011, and I'd like to get in some more great hunts with my Dad, who is now obsessed with the hobby as well. I'd also love it if the two of us could get together with some other forum members anywhere around or between Upstate NY and New England.
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

My only goal for 2012 is to get more detecting time! 2011 was pretty slow thanks to the army taking me away for most of the spring and fall. Even if I can only get out for an hour or two, I plan on hunting as much as possible.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

I'm with Randy, no numbers. All I am striving for is to better my coins and relics so far. An example would be to better my earliest American silver coin (1838) and so forth with copper and then on to foreign coins. That will be all that I will show on my forum profile this year.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

2011 didn't bring alot of quantity to my treasure pouch but i did get alot of firsts or items that have been on my list for may years now .

1. a very early sought after military piece that was in very very good condition
    2. a real colonial coinspill
    3. a colonial state coin that i haven't found
    4. a multiple copper in a single hole find
    5. found my oldest coin
    6. found an item or coin with a date carved into it
    7. a silver thimble

this year for 2012 i would like to find atleast one of the below
    1. a virgin or undetected cellar site
    2. a half cent or Mass. copper
    3. either a capped or draped bust silver

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I was able to knock My # one off the list last year. (a tree coin) My goal for this year is.... I hope to get out more than I did last. It was the least I had detected since I started.

this is more of a wish list than goals, but here it is.

#1 would be a gold coin. (that used to be my #2)
    #2 a silver cache of some sort. not a spill....something that was placed there.
    #3 american silver from the 1700's
    #4 a capped coin ( never found one)

not too much to ask for HH, Dan

Veteran Member

STAY ALIVE LONG ENOUGH TO DO IT .
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Candidate Member

When I RETIRE in 20 more working days, 07/13, I just want to get out there and start swinging with my new GTI1500 and Sea Hunter Mark2) Whatever I find will be fine with me!!
    "Try not, do. Or do not. There is no try!" - YODA