Thread: E Trac - locking the shaft

E Trac - locking the shaft

I don't know if anyone has had this issue with the locking mechanism on the E Trac, but the top lock that is on the unit has decided to not keep the shafts secured to the unit itself This is also where the internal connection is made. You don't want that part slipping out when you detect lol So being the simple guy I am , I duct taped it....what, doesn't duct tape fix everything?? Well it worked until last hunt and I spent most of my time putting the shaft back in with every other swing rofl So I found a quick, good way to fix it since I can't get myself to send it in, cause I'd miss it dearly I took some self adhesive aluminum tape (real aluminum not plastic) like you tape up duct work with or pellet stove pipes and folded over a small piece. I opened up the cam lock and put it inside to give it extra the thickness it was lacking. No the cam pushes the aluminum shim against the plastic part that hits the shaft. Now it is tight and does not move. Just a quick fix if you ever need it.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Re: E Trac - locking the shaft

I have that problem. Sounds like a good fix... I will have to try it.
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I had heard this was a problem with the older units, but was supposed to be fixed on the E-Trac. I guess I will have to keep a watch on mine.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in my head for future reference.
    Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X-1 probe
    White's SM2
    White's SM PI pro

Check out my treasure hunting videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSilverFiend

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Si...03270629825473

http://www.thesilverfiend.com

A detecting buddy of mine is having the same problem with his as well. There is a metal plate attached to a red plastic piece that keeps the shaft locked tight. That metal plate can fall off and cause the shaft to become loose when locked. If you have an X-1 probe and didn't send in the upper shaft, then you can use its red plastic piece as a replacement. Long term, you'll likely have to get a couple directly from Minelab.

-Alex

Thanks for this. So far I haven't had this happen to me, but if it does I'll use this to correct the problem. After reading this I gently pulled on the upper shaft and it was nice and tight. WHEW!
    Minelab ETrac,Whites BH-ID, Fisher F2, Vibraprobe PP,Bullseye II PP.

Yes That metal plate fall out off of mine last week on the lower part of the upper shaft. The lower shaft become loose and would not lock. I used a rolled up peace of paper works great. Hold that lower shaft from sliding down. I called minelab and they are sending me a new upper shaft.

Eagle 1
    E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Troy Head Phones, Garrett Ace 250.

I was reading back through this and I think my problem may be different than what everyone else is describing. Mine comes apart right below the display. I will be swinging along and suddenly everything below the display disconnects. Is that what you are talking about George?
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    I was reading back through this and I think my problem may be different than what everyone else is describing. Mine comes apart right below the display. I will be swinging along and suddenly everything below the display disconnects. Is that what you are talking about George?
    Yep, that's what I'm talking about. It just slides out and you don't know it until it falls off and starts wobbling all over lol I've got mine wedged and taped and it doesn't hold for very long. I would have put a pin through it but the cable is in there When Minelab comes out with the ET II rofl I will send mine in and have it fixed.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

If you're old enough to remember Rowan and Martin Laugh-In, verrry interesting!

This just started happening to my e- trac and it was nice to find this previously post about the issue. Thank you for a quick fix and saving me the need to send in my detector for repairs. I have to admit is was a real pain trying to detect with the shaft sliding out.

Bob
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

I just now saw this thread. This problem must only occur with older E-Tracs. I bought mine in March of 2011 and I've never experienced this problem.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=924.msg110126#msg110126 date=1335705214
    I just now saw this thread. This problem must only occur with older E-Tracs. I bought mine in March of 2011 and I've never experienced this problem.
    Tony,

It has not been quite a year since I purchased my E-trac but have used it probably 90% of those days (one of the benefits of being retired).

05/01/2012 - I was just checking my records and I purchased the unit on July 30, 2011 so it's not even close to a year.

Bob
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

It still happens occasionally with the newer units a friend of mine E-Trac shaft lock did it at a club hunt I took some electrical tape and wrapped it a couple of times and she used it that way for the longest time until I convinced her to contact Minelab and they sent out a new red block right away and she was able to fix it herself with no problem.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two link=topic=924.msg110245#msg110245 date=1335789534
    It still happens occasionally with the newer units a friend of mine E-Trac shaft lock did it at a club hunt I took some electrical tape and wrapped it a couple of times and she used it that way for the longest time until I convinced her to contact Minelab and they sent out a new red block right away and she was able to fix it herself with no problem.
    This is excellent information. I will contact them and hopefully can get one to fix my unit. Thank you for posting this.

Bob
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030