Thread: 8-hr Hunt with Tony Two-Cent (& he bought me lunch!)

8-hr Hunt with Tony Two-Cent (& he bought me lunch!)

Hey Diggers,

Yesterday was unseasonably warm for January in Illinois (above freezing) and I made the 2-hour drive up to meet Tony for an all-day hunt at our new spot. This park is quite old and large and the coins are few and far between. This is my second time hunting this park and I notice there are predominantly two distinct layers of coins. The first layer is the clad layer and it is from the surface to about 2 inches deep. The second layer is the old coin layer and it ranges from 7 to 10 inches deep. And then there is the occasional coin in between (that was missed by previous MDers).

I started in one corner of the park and got my first indian head penny signal after about 30 minutes of swinging. On my e-trac it sounded just like a modern zinc penny but since this target was at 7 inches deep, I suspected it was something better! A short time later, I got the same signal at 8 inches and pulled out two very crusty indian head pennies. I ended up with 6 IH pennies for the day. As I write this, I realize that is the most I have ever found in one hunt.

I got a faint nickel signal that was bouncing 13-12 to 15-12 and dug a nice buffalo nickel from about 7 inches deep. I was surprised to see the soil next the coin was discolored a bright green color but the coin was orange. That was kind of odd.

I decided to swing a bit out in the baseball field and after about an hour got a nice 12-13 at 5 inches deep. I was sure it was a nickel but I did not expect it to be a V nickel! Whoever missed that must have been MDing with pulltabs discriminated out because it was an easy target to find.

I worked my way over towards two GIANT Sycamore trees. I kid you not, the diameter of the trunks of these trees is easily 6 feet! I was mindlessly swinging along and got a sudden high pitch that reminded me of the signal I get with silver coins. I looked down at the display and was getting a bouncy 13-45 to 14-46 at 8 inches deep. I thought this has got to be silver to be that high-pitched and that deep. I dug down about 6 inches and stuck my probe in the hole. I got a weak signal at one side. I dug another inch and re-probed. The signal was stronger this time. I dug another inch and the probe was screaming at me. I scooped out one more handful of dirt, stuck the probe back in and heard........silence. It's out of the hole! (Bill Murray voice) I probed the dirt pile and got a hit on a ball of dirt. Looking closely, I could see the rim of a silver dime. I broke the clod apart and was pleased to see a Barber dime! My first silver for 2012.

For the day I got $3.95 in clad coins and a nice assortment of wheaties. I also found a silver-plated religious medallion. Tony also pulled a bunch of nice oldies (see his post) AND he bought me lunch! What a guy! I look forward to hitting that park again. Thanks for looking and best wishes to everyone, Dave.

Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Re: 8-hr Hunt with Tony Two-Cent (& he bought me lunch!)

Wow what a start for you for a another fabulous year, a little bit of everything there Dave. Did you video the hunt?
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Very nice finds! |
    2017 Totals: 21 Clad / $1.85 / 1 Silver Coin / 2 Wheaties / 0 Rings
    2011-16 Totals: 12,902 Clad / $1,094.43 / 301 Silver Coins / 590 Wheaties / 71 Rings

DD, what a great hunt and you had that park figured out. Nice pile of IH's, beautiful Barber, V, Buffalo. I'd say a very well rounded hunt and you got a free lunch out of the deal.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Elite Member

Great park! I appreciate the E-Trac readings in your post. Those are some great finds for 1 day. Very nice
    2014 Goals: 20 Silver, 5 Large Coppers, 1 Gold Coin (not anticipating being able to detect much this year; NEW BABY HERE!!)
    So Far: (0) Silver; (2) KG, LC 1807; (2) IH; (3) Buff

2013 Total: 36 Silver; 5LC (including 1 FUGIO)
    2012 Total:101 Silver; 11 LC

Great finds, and I appreciate the detailed descriptions! |

What kind of sensitivity numbers were you using?
    Minelab E-trac, Sunray X1 probe

2011 Silver goal: 20 (14 YTD- 8 Rosies, 5 Mercury Head dimes, 1 Barber dime)
    2011 Clad goal: $50 ($132.50 year to date)

Six IH's Daaaaaaaayyyyyym! And 100 year old silver (just). Looks like youz guys had a great day. Keep on hitting around those trees the silver gets caught in the roots and pushed around as the roots grow.

GL/HH
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

very nice looking dime and that was a great hunt,wtg.
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

I buy the guy lunch and what's he do? Finds more old coins than me! That's gratitude for ya! >:/ lol

Oh well, at least I had Saturday's hunt to keep me from feeling too bad.

Congrats on the finds, Dave! That 1903 Indian Head looks great! Never saw one that looked that good out of Illinois soil!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Excellent finds and lunch to boot, nice!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Man! What a deal! A day detecting with some sweet finds and a free lunch to boot!
    I tell ya... that Tony's alright! I mean look at all the sweet targets he left for ya to find! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=8507.msg96147#msg96147 date=1326161486
    I buy the guy lunch and what's he do? Finds more old coins than me! That's gratitude for ya! >:/ lol
    That sure was nice of ya Tony! lol
    I can't wait till we get a chance to meet up here soon Dave.
    Sweet, sweet hunt my man! thumbsup01
    Congrats!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

That is some sweet finds. Congrats on the first silver of the year. | Great pic's.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Hi friend)
    Congratulations on your first silver in 2012
    That you had a good hunt with our friend Tony
    Perhaps it was fun hunting. |
    Guys ... When Ukraine will end coins (the ground) I'm coming to visit you and I will ry to you - your coins) and Tony will buy me dinner)
    And I'll bring you a gift and vodka (real)

ps. True Hey Tony 2 cents? Buy me lunch :->
    Lunch + vodka = happy hunting rofl

Quote Originally Posted by serega link=topic=8507.msg96207#msg96207 date=1326214584
    Hi friend)
    Congratulations on your first silver in 2012
    That you had a good hunt with our friend Tony
    Perhaps it was fun hunting. |
    Guys ... When Ukraine will end coins (the ground) I'm coming to visit you and I will ry to you - your coins) and Tony will buy me dinner)
    And I'll bring you a gift and vodka (real)

ps. True Hey Tony 2 cents? Buy me lunch :->
    Lunch + vodka = happy hunting rofl
    Sounds good friend! Tony should buy us each a BIG steak dinner with a baked potato!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger link=topic=8507.msg96216#msg96216 date=1326229231
    Sounds good friend! Tony should buy us each a BIG steak dinner with a baked potato!

BIG steak !BIG steak ! Yes yes yes !

You have my guarantee, Serge, if you come all the way from the Ukraine to America to hunt with me, I will buy you a BIG steak dinner!

(Dave gets Slim Jims and Yoo-Hoo from the convenience store.)
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Ah man!!! That's a sweet hunt DD. <:
    Love all those IH's.
    Congrats.