Thread: Whatever happened to... whazhizname?

Whatever happened to... whazhizname?

Howdy Folks!
    Long time no see! Been awhile since I done much in the way of metal detecting because I've been making radical changes in my life. So sit back, have a cup of coffee, and I'll fill you in.

Got a call from Snickerdoodle yesterday wondering what had befallen the Colorado Gold Slinger, hoping all was well. I believe she was took by surprise at my answer.

We've had some serious cold and snow around these parts, and my enthusiasm for enduring the elements ain't what it used to be prior to my tangle with blood thinners last year. I was not bothered by cold so much as I am now, despite having been off them for a year now. Still, the cold cuts through much worse than it did before that particular experience.

Somewhere around November, I got to reviewing my life thus far and wasn't happy with some aspects in general. Since then, I've lost 70 pounds and started training to become a Fugitive Recovery Agent. In Colorado, you must jump a few hurdles in order to be certified for this occupation, and I took up a course to gain certification. When time came to take the test, I passed with a 94. Then I had to get fingerprinted, background check through the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (and they check the FBI as part of their investigation), and wait for the outcome. The shorter story is, I now am certified.

Next on the parade was to find a mentor in the business to further my learning of this business and I got me a real good one. He is an FRA with over 25 years of experience. I went over to meet with him for a meet and greet, get to know you, sort of interview to see how we'd match up. At least that's what I figured. Before 90 minutes had passed, we were rushing eastbound to meet with the team and commence the apprehension of a fugitive who has some nasty habits and badly needed accomodations at the county jail.

Since that first day I have participated in several arrests of wanted fugitives and I'm part of a terrific team of Fugitive Recovery Agents. My mentor is sharing his knowledge and experience so I can grow into the business and be successful while remaining safe and effective.

I will be going tomorrow to check out some martial arts training in Krav Maga, especially in the area of arrest and control techniques. The instructor for that works with law enforcement agencies to train police officers in those techniques in order to deal with combative bad guys.

The next Saturday, I'll be taking a course at Colorado Academy of Process Service, to add process serving to my portfolio of skills. The work of a process server and a fugitive recovery agent tend to blend very nicely, and the skills for both require similar ability. Among those skills are skip tracing, investigation, tailing, surveillance and a few others in the mix.

Meanwhile, I figure I can use my metal detector to perform surveillance of particular suspects. For example, if we believe a fugitive is holed up at a particular house, I can go into that neighborhood and ask folks whether I can metal detect their yards. While doing that, I can keep an eye on the suspect location. Once I get positive I.D. that our fugitive is indeed at such location, I can call in the troops to effect apprehension and arrest.

Once this snow melts and we get some warmer weather, I hope to get in some metal detecting and find some goodies to show off. But with all this training I've been doing for the past several months, it just ain't been easy to do any detecting for awhile.

So you see folks, I've decided to take my success with hunting with a metal detector to hunting men with a badge and gun! One way or another, I am still in the hunt.

Hemingway said: There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else!

Now that I've been out there, hunting down men (and women), I can tell you honestly that it is much to my liking!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Quarters = 123
    Nickels = 60
    Dimes = 104
    Pennies = 246
    Half Dollars =
    Dollar Coins = 3
    Total Coins = 535
    Gold Sale 2/5/13 = $25.50
    YTD = $73.21

Its Going to be a Shpadoinkle Day!

Gunning for Gold!

Veteran Member

Re: Whatever happened to... whazhizname?

Congratulations on your certification! I wish you much success in this endeavor, and also hope to see some nice finds posted.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Is that the same thing as a bounty hunter?

Congratulations on all your achievements! |
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

wow! now you can find all that gold the bad people take, congrats on the new task you are doing and I wish you all the luck,but I do miss seeing all them gold items you used to post,,,best of luck on both,, | |
    M6 / DX-1 / 6x10 DD & M6/DX-1/ stock coil
    Pontiac IL.

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter link=topic=8562.msg96611#msg96611 date=1326473095
    Is that the same thing as a bounty hunter?

Congratulations on all your achievements! |
    Howdy Epi!
    It certainly is Bounty Hunting. Most of us use the more updated Fugitive Recovery Agent since bounty hunting is often tainted with negative images of wild west bring 'em back dead or alive notions or those associated with a certain television show that spends more time focused on a personality than the work of the FRA.

We work with law enforcement quite regularly. We investigate to learn the whereabouts of a fugitive from the justice system, and pin down that location. Once we know where they are, we go on surveillance to ensure our information is accurate. After all the T's are dotted and the I's are crossed, we take them down. We apprehend, arrest and transport them to jail.

Once that's all accomplished, we get paid. Ergo, bounty hunting.

I also tend to shy away from the use of &quotounty Hunter so nobody gets confused into thinking that's the machine I use when metal detecting! LOL!

Thanks for your question.

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Quarters = 123
    Nickels = 60
    Dimes = 104
    Pennies = 246
    Half Dollars =
    Dollar Coins = 3
    Total Coins = 535
    YTD = $73.21

Gunning for Gold!

Quote Originally Posted by JTGOLD link=topic=8562.msg96612#msg96612 date=1326473534
    wow! now you can find all that gold the bad people take, congrats on the new task you are doing and I wish you all the luck,but I do miss seeing all them gold items you used to post,,,best of luck on both,, | |
    Howdy Amigo!
    I hope to find plenty more gold and silver once things settle down with all the training I'm doing. Once I am working full time as a Fugitive Recovery Agent and Process Server, then I can work what hours I choose. Won't need a day job any longer, and can hunt to my heart's content. After all, a terrific time to apprehend a fugitive is like 2 to 3am when they're sleeping and not expecting to get arrested. By the time they awaken enough to be trouble, they're already in handcuffs and wondering what happened. We did that sort of arrest just a couple of nights ago, on a fugitive known to use illegal weapons and likely to be armed.

What a shock it must have been to his system to be rousted from bed by a team of 5 recovery agents armed to the teeth! LOL!

Memories I'll treasure!

Meanwhile, we are supposed to have some nice weather headed this way, and I hope to get my coil on the soil in the next couple of days. Need that first good find of 2012!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Quarters = 123
    Nickels = 60
    Dimes = 104
    Pennies = 246
    Half Dollars =
    Dollar Coins = 3
    Total Coins = 535
    YTD = $73.21

Gunning for Gold!

Quote Originally Posted by randy link=topic=8562.msg96608#msg96608 date=1326471620
    Congratulations on your certification! I wish you much success in this endeavor, and also hope to see some nice finds posted.
    Howdy Pard!
    Thank you for that, and as for posting some nice finds, I myself am looking forward to that happy day. Soon as the weather breaks and I get a lull in training, I hope to hit the ground and fetch home some terrific finds!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Quarters = 123
    Nickels = 60
    Dimes = 104
    Pennies = 246
    Half Dollars =
    Dollar Coins = 3
    Total Coins = 535
    YTD = $73.21

Gunning for Gold!

And to think that I am satisfied with a silver dime. Nice going on getting you certificate and hope everything pans out for you. Sounds like you have put in a lot of effort to get this far. Now stop reading this and go get a bad guy.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Veteran Member

Congrats Mel !! thumbsup01
    Martial arts will help You in all Your endeavors !!
    I've trained For many Years it helps keep You fit ,Your concentration
    will be better and You'll feel great and be much more flexible.
    Be safe out there Buddy !
    V3i DFX 10 DD 6x10 DD 4x6 DD DX-1

more power to you Mel, it is not an easy task to change careers at your stage, I had 28 1/2 years of dealing with those youngsters and hardened criminals, to where I could retire at age 54, always watch your back and don't trust em.
    good luck
    sarge
    Be Safe And Happy Hunting All

Sarge

Quote Originally Posted by rsarge1 link=topic=8562.msg96662#msg96662 date=1326505012
    more power to you Mel, it is not an easy task to change careers at your stage, <snip>
    always watch your back and don't trust em.
    good luck
    sarge
    Howdy Sarge!
    Thanks for writing. Haven't seen you since Custer died! LOL!
    You're right about change of horse mid stream.... it ain't easy!
    But I've done plenty of things folks told me were tough, but did 'em anyhow.
    I'm one of those determined types, ya know!

As for trusting a fugitive, I'll do that....
    After we got cuffs on him, leg irons and a waist chain, walking in to the county Sheriff's Office to get him a room for the night! Yeah, that's when I'll trust him!

BTW, I never knew they make 000 buckshot until another agent supplied me with a few rounds for my 12ga. Those things could do considerable damage.

Then again, the Judge I carry on my duty belt holds both .410 rounds and 45 Colt long ammunition. A .410 might not be as formidable as a 12ga but still likely to get their attention!

We should get out and hunt one day. Eventually. If it ever gets nice again and I have a break from working! LOL!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Quarters = 123
    Nickels = 60
    Dimes = 104
    Pennies = 246
    Half Dollars =
    Dollar Coins = 3
    Total Coins = 535
    YTD = $73.21

Gunning for Gold!

Quote Originally Posted by aloldstuff link=topic=8562.msg96655#msg96655 date=1326501079
    And to think that I am satisfied with a silver dime. Nice going on getting you certificate and hope everything pans out for you. Sounds like you have put in a lot of effort to get this far. Now stop reading this and go get a bad guy.
    Howdy Pard!
    The thing about bad guys.... they seem much more abundant than silver dimes!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Quarters = 123
    Nickels = 60
    Dimes = 104
    Pennies = 246
    Half Dollars =
    Dollar Coins = 3
    Total Coins = 535
    YTD = $73.21

Gunning for Gold!

Quote Originally Posted by odave link=topic=8562.msg96661#msg96661 date=1326504644
    Congrats Mel !! thumbsup01
    Martial arts will help You in all Your endeavors !!
    Be safe out there Buddy !
    Howdy Pard!
    I was involved in martial arts a whole bunch of years ago. I was learning Shoto Khan, and achieved a green belt level. That was a long time ago though, so I'll be starting off from scratch again. I agree it has many benefits.

As for staying safe out there, I work with a team of agents and we all cover the next man's six! It's good to know somebody's got me covered. And they can count on me to back them up all the way!

Thanks for your response to my post!

Blessings,
    M-Taliesin
    Quarters = 123
    Nickels = 60
    Dimes = 104
    Pennies = 246
    Half Dollars =
    Dollar Coins = 3
    Total Coins = 535
    YTD = $73.21

Gunning for Gold!

Congrats dude. Someones got to do it. Being a police officer and a training officer please let me give you one bit of advice. In your picture I noticed right off your gun. Please turn it around. It is perefect for someone to grab. The bad guys don't have a lot to do. Don't think they don't train also. They practice anti weapon retention. No reason to make it easy on them. Just saying. Good luck to you, be safe, and watch your six.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE