Thread: silver thimble + dimes (and, one of my detecting stories)

Veteran Member

silver thimble + dimes (and, one of my detecting stories)

Well, its time to get back to my stories, and, I think this one is kinda cool.

Recently I posted a complete silver spoon, with an '07 on the back, and a monogrammed name on the front. One of my goals was to attempt to find the family and return the spoon to the heirs. I wasn't sure how to do this, and filed it in the rainy day file, but, of course, went back to the site to see what else was there (turns out a handful of silvers, posted previously), and while detecting, this elderly woman approaches me and asks me if I've found anything. We all get this, and I know it annoys some (and yeah, it totally annoys me when it is kids), but I think its alot of fun to engage and talk to the mature locals -- if it wasn't for this experience, the hobby would mean less to me.

So, I start talking about my finds, a couple of old coins, and this silver spoon, and I ask do you know anyone on your block named Regina. Not only does she, she tells me she lived next door, and was born in 1907. Are you kidding me? I just verified the age of the spoon, and located the residence of the owner. Unfortunately, after more discussion, the owner is deceased (not surprising after over 100 years), but there is no family and no heirs.

After the elderly woman gives me the lowdown on the site and all its regradings and fills, (she's lived next door for over 60 years, and, as if she is a civil engineer (she may have been, she was quite sharp), she knows all this important stuff <, I ask if she's keen on me detecting her property (which, as above, is next door to the owner of the '07 spoon, and was built in the 1800s happydance02).

She gives me carte blance permission and says just show me what you find -- you can keep it, I'm just curious.

So, today was the first day I was able to detect her property, and I hit a miserable looking merc. I'm saying, with my luck, this abused train wreck will be a '16D (but I have old eyes and could not read the date in the field). Later, I hit a rosie, and then this gorgeous sterling thimble.

She comes out and asks if I've found anything. I always like to give gifts to those who grant me permission, and figured the thimble was perhaps from her or her family, and would make the perfect gift, and I say I found some coins from the 40s and 50s and this old silver thimble, and she says I'm sorry you are not finding anything interesting, and if you do find something interesting, please let me know. Well, I find the thimble interesting, but that's just me. I'll be more than happy to send her a fruit basket when I'm done, and that's what I'm gonna do.

So, I get back home, and start processing that miserable looking merc, and it turns out to be a 1916. Not only that, it has a mintmark. Are you kidding me? Turns out to be a '16S, so I'm not sure how to feel.

Anyway, I love the thimble. the 10 apparently, is a size. The art on it is cool. The story is me, and I love writing them (despite the parodies that happen occasionally), and more importantly, I love living them, as do the locals I interact with. (I'll desist for quite a while going forward, but hopefully someone out there with frozen ground will enjoy the break in monotony).

Thanks for looking and HH everyone.

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Re: silver thimble + dimes (and, one of my detecting stories)

Great story Randy. And it's not just you. I'd trade 20 fruit baskets for that thimble.
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Great story and for being friendly you found out about the history of the spoon and you got an old spot to detect,pretty nice!

I love the history, the thimble and the stories! That is what makes this hobby great!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

WOW! That thimble cleaned up nice! Great job on the finds and the new place to hunt!
    Metal Detector: Teknetics Omega 8000

Very impresive story, I bet your get permissin for a lot of great places. I'm not so good with talking to people, I don't mind it, just not good at it. I don't even mind when the kids start hanging out while I am hunting. I hunt for coins but I like the thimble the best. Great finds!!!!!
    YTD hours hunted 159
    Silver coins 38
    Indian cents 59
    Wheats 292
    Buff's nickels 2
    "V" nickels 6
    Sheild Nickels 0

I love that thimble. Silver ain't bad either! Great story, I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

What a story Randy! How cool is that! thumbsup01
    I'm the same way as you Randy. When your in those old neighborhoods and the neighbor tries to stop and talk to you. Stop! Talk to them! Their house is probably just as old if not older. And if you can show them that your not doing any harm to their neighbors lawn, and they don't care, then numerous times, I've got invited to hunt the neighbors yard as well. thumbsup01
    That thimble is just gorgeous! A lot of hand tooling went into decorating that thing! I mean a lot! And it's a size 10! Wow!
    Thats one fat finger! rofl Makes for a even bigger piece of silver that way <:
    Nice story and finds Randy!
    Congrats!
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Awesome post Randy!

I'm with you... I love having conversation with the older generation. They really have quite a bit to offer. Heck, if it wasn't for them dropping things all along the way, there wouldn't be much to find. lol

Glad to hear you received some great info on the spoon you found. Gives is a little more meaning.

You had a great hunt. I love the silver thimble. One of those are on my wish list, right next to a silver spoon.
    Congrats on the dimes too. You are off an running with your silver count already. <:

Great story and excellent finds! Thanks for sharing. I too, like talking to the mature persons asking about the hobby.
    E-Trac & MXT

That thimble is a work of art, check out the honey comb pattern Awesome!
    Whites M6, Eclipse 6X10 DD, Sunray DX-1

That thimble is fantastic Randy! Kinda glad she didn't want it? lol Great story about the spoon Great story all around, I thoroughly enjoy your stories

Too bad about the merc. Well maybe... that sure would be dissapointing if it was a '16D in that condition.

I also enjoy talking to the old-timers, have learned a lot about history of our community and many leads to new hunting spots! I look forward to your next story
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

well written and enjoyable story. dont hesitate to post more like that lol
    nice finds! too bad it wasnt a 16 D, even in that shape. you would have still had a rare one. thanks for posting!

!, A perfect 30 count story and finds! Beautiful thimble! Congrats, and thanks for the cool story! |
    2012 count: 99 silvers, 3 V Nickels, 4 War Nickles, 2 Gold Rings, 17 Silver Rings, 6 Buffallo Nickels,2 silver braclets, silver cross: 2013 1 Silver, 2 Silver rings, 1 Sterling Neckless with heart charm

Thanks for posting Randy. Very well written story. A silver thimble has eluded me so far but some day.....Congrats on the silvers, too bad it was an S and not the elusive D
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Returning a fancy spoon rates as a top-notch act, old chap!
    "It was mad pheromone love over a little full moon entombed, and the people found it hard to understand until they saw for themselves the light pouring forth from a hole in the ground exposing a lonely turned ecstatic murky dime ......." please see me at http://www.youtube.com/user/plehbah

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Nice story and those thimbles look like beauties. Congrats on a great hunt!!

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Beautiful thimble!!!!!!! That is an awesome find.
    Gotta love those sterling thimbles.
    Minelab Etrac, SEF 8x6.
    Garrett AT Gold, 5x8 coil, Garrett PP
    Equinox 800

Awesome thimble thumbsup01

Wow ! Nice thimbles, honestly. I've seen a few found personally but w/o any markings. The ones with markings are the ones collectors look for. I didn't read all the replies, but from what I've read, these relics can be worth quite a bit of cash . Some people wouldn't think so but they are.
    I was surprised when I found a 1911 dog tag / on another hunt found a baggage tag and when I did research found that there are people who collect all these kind of relics.There are even books printed with Values attached to them . Also, be on the look out for Crotal bells with designs cuz these are highly collectible.
    Once again, Great finds !! Sal
    Detector used: White's XLT AVATAR IS A FMDAC
    SILVER ROUND- EAGLE CLUTCHING DETECTOR OVER THE EARTH

2013 Finds so far : 4 Wheaties, ** 6 Indian Pennies ** (all found in Cornfield) , 0 Shield Nickels, 3 Mercs, 2 Barber Dimes, 1 Silver Washington , 1839 Large Cent, 1 2Center
    [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=58][color=blue]click here to see

2014 Finds : Inactive for Now