Thread: Our First Metal Detecting Trip

Our First Metal Detecting Trip

First of all, thank you again for all of the kind words and help. It's been a huge help to my wife and I as we get started in this great hobby. We truly do love it. Last Saturday we went out for the first time, and got to get acquainted with our equipment after reading the manuals and watching the two DVD instructional discs. I realize that this is basically junk, but we had a great time finding these items. We went to a spot where I assumed we would find lots of metal objects in order to make our first time out interesting. Of course, we also found lots of nails, screws, a couple pull-tabs, etc. No matter what we found it was exciting for us.

The “Treasures” (at least to us) that we found were: an old small (riding) saddle buckle, some sort of old clothing, or shoe buckle, an old shotgun brass case, and two small caliber rifle cases, an old glass bottle, two old (Large, possibly railroad) nails/spikes, and some other assorted items. Last, but not least, Marcia’s 1st find; an old bottle cap. Thank you...

Roland
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    You can "Never" have too many Hobbies...
    White's Spectra V3i with a Sun Ray DX-1, Spectra V3 (My Wife's), Minelab X-Terra 505, and an ACE 250. Eclipse Shooter DD 4 X 6, Eclipse DD 6 X 10

Re: Our First Metal Detecting Trip

Hey Roland, Congrats on your first true hunt thumbsup01 None of them targets are junk, they all taught you someting about how your machine responded to each of them. These are the clues that make you better at this great hobby. Hope you have lots of room because you will be finding lots of good items as well as some not so good items lol But most importantly, you enjoyed yourselves. Some of the best times I have detecting are when it's a nice warm Spring day in the woods.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

hey Roland , getting familiar with your machine is half the battle but a great start , then figuring out what it is you want to find most and research it to give you the best possible odds of locating it . lastly is a little luck in passing your coil over it to find. congrats on your first outing it looks like an interesting one and if you two had fun then it was a successful hunt. thumbsup01
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Hi I'm Tana from Ky- nice to meet ya

Nice finds! Isn't it a wonderful hobby? I'm pretty new to it- 6 months ago got a White's Prism IV and just upgraded to a White's XLT (today!) Mainly relics so far and clad change filling up 2 mason jars Hey it adds up! I've found a few wheaties and just yesterday my first silver- 1943 S wartime nickel! Woo hoo lol

Anyway, hope to get to know you two and see what treasures you uncover!
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

I think it's a pretty cool trip...first, or fifty-first.

This is a great hobby to do together. When my wife goes with me, I have to drag her back to the Jeep.

Thanks for sharing the finds!!!
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.

Heah guys looks good. 8)
    I mean I've seen alot worse first hunts!
    But by the looks of your finds your digging the right targets.
    Just getting out there is the right way.
    Keep at it.... you never know whats in the next hole
    Congrats on your first Treasure hunt thumbsup01
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Those finds look good to me for the first time being out.Many different types of metal and many different sounding beeps,all of which helps you to learn.Getting to know your machine and what it is telling you is a process that can take some time,the sooner you can understand it is a plus.All in all it does look like a good outing that you guys had.Take your time and have some fun and the finds will come.

By the way don't be fooled by people calling it a hobby because it does become and addiction. thumbsup01
    For every relic that rots away........a piece of history is lost.

Yep, here it is 29 degrees, a skiff of snow and I'm still determined to go out and hunt all day! :-\ My hubby agreed to watch the boys for 5 or 6 hrs to let me do so- some well deserved 'ME TIME'... Hoping it will warm up a few degrees in a few hours rofl

So have you two found anything else interesting- since last posted?

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Great first hunt... digging in the dirt is the only way to find the good stuff. Yep, a lot of junk too, but that is part of the hobby. HH RickO
    Spectra V3, DFX, Surf Dual PI, Surf Pro, GMT, TDI, DX-1, Coiltek, Pistol Probe, Bullseye, Hot Shot coil, Spider Coil, 4x6 coil, 14 DD, D2, some others... Garrett Wall Detector

Veteran Member leslie(nova scotia)'s Avatar

yo T

From the land of the Bluenose.....well me bouy you have the right attitude about this hobby as it is not always about the finds but the ..............journey!
    From the land of the Bluenose.....life is a beach at least till the tide comes in and the Bud is all gone. Swish and dig at the drop of a dime!