Thread: small disc with stars

small disc with stars

I have posted this on several forums and have yet to get an ID. It came from a CW camp site in western Maryland many years ago. My brother has also recovered one.
    It is enameled on one side.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    My wife does all the driving, I just hold the steering wheel!

Re: small disc with stars

did your brother recover his at the same area as you or at another site all together??
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I don't remember for sure. I found this about 25 years ago. I grew up in Hagerstown, Md. And that area was either Confederate or Union camp sites for the duration of the war. My brother probably found it in the same area as we always hunted the same sites.

My first thought was perhaps it was a decoration from a saddle. Perhaps surrounding a hole that a tassle ran through and then was knotted so that the metal piece would not pull out from the leather. Just a guess.
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

I talked to my brother this evening and he said that he has found 3 or 4 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by CODY link=topic=8707.msg99243#msg99243 date=1328374676
    My first thought was perhaps it was a decoration from a saddle. Perhaps surrounding a hole that a tassle ran through and then was knotted so that the metal piece would not pull out from the leather. Just a guess.
    This seems very logical and I wouldn't be surprised if you hit the nail on the head, Cody!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg