Thread: Curious if anyone knows what these are.

Curious if anyone knows what these are.

I found these in a park that has been around since the 1700's. Since then, the park now has a baseball diamond and concession stand. Obviously I was hoping to find older coins, but I only found loose change. But while searching one coin I stumbled upon one piece that is wooden. Small 1/2" square with a piece of what looks like rubber on the back. Quite sure its junk but I have no clue what is is. The second is brass. Looks to me like it would be a spike on a uniform or belt. There are two spike tabs on the back. Both items were only 4 or so inches deep. I put an uncleaned dime to show size.
    Attachment 37604Attachment 37605

I don't know what the wooden object is, but the other one is a stud that would have adorned a leather jacket, belt, wristband, etc.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Was that you detecting a park by the highway the other day. I saw someone detecting but couldn't stop to say hi. Traffic speeds along there quite fast Can't help you on the wooden piece either, but unprotected wood does not last very long in the ground. If it were wrapped in copper it can last hundreds of years if its in the right conditions. Tony is correct on the other piece.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Was that you detecting a park by the highway the other day. I saw someone detecting but couldn't stop to say hi. Traffic speeds along there quite fast Can't help you on the wooden piece either, but unprotected wood does not last very long in the ground. If it were wrapped in copper it can last hundreds of years if its in the right conditions. Tony is correct on the other piece.
    I was in CT. No highway near the park. Although way across the park there were skateboarders that eventually got into their cars, a mustang and a rice burner, and were trying to show off peeling out and driving fast down the one lane road. Are you saying you were one of them? hahah.

Thanks Tony. I figured most likely it was such, but was thinking it could have been from a uniform if not from leather jacket/belt. The wood, I am lost as well. Maybe part of a toy? Best guess.

The wooden thing looks like some kind of a rubber stamp used with ink maybe? Hard to tell from the picture.
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post
    I was in CT. No highway near the park. Although way across the park there were skateboarders that eventually got into their cars, a mustang and a rice burner, and were trying to show off peeling out and driving fast down the one lane road. Are you saying you were one of them? hahah.
    Not me I wouldn't want either of those. Not quite what I like to drive.

thats right, coinnut is in his later years and prefers a softer ride.......im think lexus.......ahhhhh like driving in warm wallpaper paste....lol

Quote Originally Posted by lee View Post
    thats right, coinnut is in his later years and prefers a softer ride.......im think lexus.......ahhhhh like driving in warm wallpaper paste....lol
    Tricycle. Going back to my childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    The wooden thing looks like some kind of a rubber stamp used with ink maybe? Hard to tell from the picture.
    Yes, I checked and it's definitely hard rubber. It was breaking apart when I pulled it out of the ground but now washing it with water and drying it, it's no longer falling apart.

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Tricycle. Going back to my childhood.
    Tricycle? No pimped-out big wheel?

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post

Tricycle? No pimped-out big wheel?
    No big wheels for me. I was lucky to have a tricycle.

This was not you? Man....Attachment 37623

He's only like that to me when he's found something good at a hunt.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    He's only like that to me when he's found something good at a hunt.
    I guess I'm like that a lot How did we drift to this?