Thread: Picking a detector

Picking a detector

Hi, this will be my 1st metal detector purchase. I have used a metal detector before so I am not new to the hobby, but I don't want to get something and find out I could of got a better one.

What I am really looking for in a detector is listed below.

1. Able to submerge in water (from coil to control box is a plus)
    2. Good reliable company
    3. Good depth range
    4. Nice display read out to tell whats what (really good interface).

I am going to be coin searching 99% of the time. But would like to take it in the water to search, and not have to worry if the entire thing gets submerged.

Detecting GOLD is a plus, I am just looking for a good solid detector, just don't know where to start.

Price range, well is still up in the air.

Thank You,
    nick

Re: Picking a detector

Hi Nick,

If you are going to be searching for coins 99% of the time, then I would worry about the beach/water submersion issue later. Because in order to have an exceptional land detector and an exceptional water detector, you need two different units.

So I would recommend that you focus on a land detector for now. There are endless models that we could recommend, from reputable manufacturers, in a price range that is huge.

Before I say more, please tell us if you prefer digital numbers to identify a find versus an analog graph and needle... and if you are more of a visual person vs a sound person. Some mid-range detectors have only one tone, and many do very well with them. I personally like many audio tones. It is a very personal choice.

Welcome!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

I would prefer digital readouts. What do you think of the Garrett AT Pro. It does do water as well, and read its is good land detector also.

i have a freind that uses at pro he does well with it i would say if you are looking for a all pupose detector that would be a good choice they sell for about 600 good luck dennis

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

I agree with what Epi-hunter had to say. But if you really want a detector that was designed to do both land and water then you do not have many choices except the AT Pro. It is priced right for a serious starter and I have not heard any bad reports on it. Good luck with your search for the right machine.

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

+1 on the AT Pro,Also invest in the submersible headphones so you can dive with it (10 feet Max).
    "I'm Your Huckle Bearer"

I recently bought an E-Trac, and if you're looking for coins, then this thing is a coin killer. I found 8 silver (5 Quarters pre-64, 3 Mercs) over the weekend in a little stretch at my local park that I had hit many times before with my 3300. If you really want silver coins, then go with the E-Trac.

Veteran Member

The E-Trac is a great machine, but, IMHO, it is not water friendly. Given the stated requirements, I would shy away from the E-Trac. Mine gets weird even in drizzle to light rain, I would not want water anywhere near the control box, especially given the cost.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!